Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishable ice list
Last year I kept track of, to the best of my ability, the waters that had thick enough ice to be safe to get out on and fish. I believe a lot of people found it helpful but I constantly worried that someone would go out, fall through, and blame me. I think I'll try it again this year. Inasmuch as possible I'll try to pass on specifics such as, " There is 4" of ice in the bay but open water further out." UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD MY WORD BE TAKEN FOR CONDITIONS. EVERYONE MUST TEST AND VERIFY THAT THE ICE THEY ARE GOING TO FISH IS SAFE. This is best done with a spud or by drilling test holes when you first step out on the ice (watch out for those rocks, though [mad]).

It was discussed at some length last year just how much ice is safe enough. The consensus among experts is that you need 4". Some fish on thinner ice but it makes me nervous for them. No fish is worth getting "baptized." USE EXTREME CAUTION. As I have said before, we'd rather here from you than about you.

Without further ado, here's the list.

High Uintas lakes People have been fishing Mirror and Trial. No ice thickness report.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Cutler did have 2” that held, but cracked and sagged under weight, but as of last night most had melted so conditions will always be variable and require your personal verification of safety this board should be more of a report of areas that have been fished so they might be fishable type board. That puts the burden back on you to check for your own safety. When on thin ice it can change enough during the day to go from safe to dangerous while you’re out on it. So be smart and careful so you stay safe. I guess what Craig was trying to say is we want to be a help for your planning, but the information here is not authoritative so we claim no liabilities. Just hope all can use it with that in mind and realize that conditions change continually. It gets impossible to keep things updated so judge conditions from last report to guess at current conditions. Some locations have temperature sensors that report history readings, they will help you know if your ice sheet is growing or receding. Thanks Craig for getting this going. J
[signature]