Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard perch search 11-5-19
Great picture!

I remember one March many years back when perch numbers were good at Deer Creek and the ice was still fishable. We caught a bunch that were pretty round, but none like the one in your picture.

The larger ones would spit up trasparent recently hatched offspring. There we so many that I (erroneously) thought for a time they must live bearers.
[signature]
How do you like that Helix 5???
I just got one this season and the jury is still out....
[signature]
[#0000FF]It's all I need for a float tube. And once I got used to the readout...and could tell what I was looking at...I really got to like it. No speed readout. Can't do mach 3 in a float tube. No GPS. I just put a mark on the water or the side of my tube if I want to remember a spot.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That being said, if I was piloting a decent boat I would invest in a lot more of the niceties...like the GPS, side imaging, etc. I harken back to the days of the paper printout fish finders. Since then there has been an exponential growth and improvements in the technology. With a good high-end sonar system today it is like playing video games with the fish.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There are two big factors in using sonar. On the positive side, sonar helps you avoid fishing in fishless water...and you can't catch them where they ain't. On the negative side, if the fish won't bite, sonar won't make 'em bite...and all you get is a complex from watching fish that won't play the game.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Bottom line on the H-5? I like it better than anything else I have used for float tubing. But I have never really bought anything on the high end either. It's all pretty subjective...based on our own wants, needs, abilities and experience.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat, I'll hold off on the license and just go manual if I get a chance to go... The oars make pretty quick mobility as well, but I can't fish while rowing, so i better bring my fins as well... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Pat, I am at Disneyland - dont ask how that happened, but I can attest to two things...

1 - that perch looks like me after a couple 10$ churros

2- they have no sense of humor when I ask if I can troll when I am on the Small World ride
[signature]
"2- they have no sense of humor when I ask if I can troll when I am on the Small World ride"

[#0000FF]I hope Cookie is sharp enough to keep you away from SeaWorld. You would either collapse from hypercasting reflex or end up in jail for handlining the featured attractions.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It just ain't fair...all the restrictions and barriers they put up to discourage us serious anglers.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]"How much distance do you need to cover? Motor or paddle?"
[#0000ff]There have been times, however, that I have had to cover a lot of water and really search to find only a few perch...like yesterday. Thankfully, I have a new EnduraMax motor that allows me to troll very slowly for a long time without using up the battery like the C2 Endura does. They have a "maximizer" that lets the motor use only the amps necessary for the speed you are running. The C2 burns the same amps at all speeds...with excess power being turned into heat. So yesterday I was slow dragging almost all the time...once the sonar indicated I might be in a target-rich environment...which was seldom.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Hey Pat I have been looking to upgrade my Endura 30 C2 on my Pontoon. What size EnduraMax did you get?
[signature]
[#0000FF]I got the 40. I didn't need the extra power as much as I needed the 36" shaft length. A 30 would do fine powerwise but I am a tall guy and the handle of the motor was too low with the 30" shaft.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Got a good deal with free delivery online from Walmart.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Did you have some surgery on your knees? Seems like you had some problems a year or two ago. Hope you are able to resume your pleasures soon.

Looks like I will soon be going in to have a replacement. I might be missing the ice season.

RJ
[signature]
RJ. I had a full replacement a week ago, but I'm getting around surprising well. Used the walkerfor a day and am about to get rid of the cane. 6264 steps today. Better than anticipated.
[signature]
Larry, we spent a couple hours at Smith Pond last Saturday. The 1st 1/3rd of pond was thin sheet ice when we got there, but all melted off when we left. Caught and released a few small Rainbow planters
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool