Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joes Valley Dissapointment
A buddy and I fished Joes Valley today from our tubes. We fished from 8:30 until 3:00 using our usual fly gear. We launched at the newer boat ramp and fished the north end of the reservoir, all the way up to the Lawry Water inlet.

We tried all kinds of flies with fast sinking lines and about the only fish we could scare up were the recently stocked rainbows from 10" - 14" long. We did pick up a 7" cutthroat and a couple of very skinny splake.

The water temperature was 43-44 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 5'. The reservoir level is near 74% full.

Last year at this time we managed to pick up some decent cutthroats and a few splake but not today.

There were five boats out on the lake while we were there but they all headed south, maybe we should have followed them.[:/]

It was a nice day and hard to believe that it is November because it was so warm.[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pics, too bad the catching was so poor but it sounds like the weather was nice. How far apart are the two boat ramps? I did not think that lake was big enough for two boat ramps.
[signature]
They've closed the old one.
[signature]
OK, that makes sense, thanks for the info.
[signature]
The old one did not extend out very far and it was located up where Seely Creek runs in and brings in a lot of silt.[:/]

The new ramp was extended last year when the water level was down and this year they have enlarged the parking area.
[signature]
That sounds like it was needed for sure. How far is it from the old ramp to the new one? I guess when the water is high both ramps can be used[:/].
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]How far is it from the old ramp to the new one? I guess when the water is high both ramps can be used[:/].[/quote]

I've attached a pic showing the locations of the ramps. It's just over 4 miles between them.

Your right, both ramps can be used when the reservoir level is high.
[signature]
Thanks for the pic, that makes it a lot clearer, looks like the new ramp is closer to the main highway, so that's good.
[signature]
[quote gofish435][quote wiperhunter2]How far is it from the old ramp to the new one? I guess when the water is high both ramps can be used[:/].[/quote]

I've attached a pic showing the locations of the ramps. It's just over 4 miles between them.

Your right, both ramps can be used when the reservoir level is high.[/quote]

You would think that they would open the west ramp for the people in the campground but they left the gate locked all summer. I was told they did that because they wanted everyone to use the new ramp where the DWR had a Quagga check point. Doesn't make sense to me because they DWR is gone by 5pm every day.
[signature]