Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trail 11-9
1st thanks RU22 for the timely post yesterday, made sure to take the ice cleats, ice skate would be good also[sly] it was slick.
My 1st time up in this area, beautiful country. Arrived a few mins after 7 22 degrees and there were 2 rigs in the parking lot who were out on the ice setting up, loaded up the sled and headed down. Checked a couple of holes for depth on the way out and found a spot that was about 15.5’ deep and set up there (there is a point that comes out below the cabin an.d I was near that). Dropped down a tungsten jig in white with a meal worm, while I getting the other pole ready I was hooked up with my 1st rainbow. Got the fish and rig back in the water and then finished up the 2nd rod with what I would call a “wonder bread” pattern and a piece of crawler. Action was fast at times with lulls in between, it was fun watching the fish finder and seeing the marks come in then one or both rods would get hit. Ended the day around noon with 17 bows, 8 tigers and 1 each brookie and Grayling. Fished from 6”’ to a foot off the bottom. Ice was 5-6” where I was at, probably 13 groups of people on the lake, 47 degrees when I left
[signature]
We must have been fishing right next to you. I think I remember your dog because he's the same color as one of mine. Congrats on getting the grand slam. We caught a lot of rainbows, joatmon got a brookie and I scored three tigers. I'll make a full report later and get some photos on.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Those are some beautiful fish. I might have to rethink about ice fishing more. At least it would keep me busy all winter.
[signature]
Craig
We’re you the group of 2 guys that moved over to the holes between me and dam when those guys left. If so I almost came over to chat as I saw you working your baits/jigs, I couldn’t get them to go with movement other then a twitch every now and then.
[signature]
Roger
Your more then welcome to tag along anytime as you know
[signature]
Great report and pics, sounds like a great time on the ice. How far is the walk to the lake from the parking lot? Is there enough snow to pull your sled on, as you walk to the lake?
[signature]
It’s a couple hundred yds out onto the ice where you see the ice shelter and the 2 guys to the left, there is snow you can pull the sled down and back on but you have wind around some of the bare spots. The pic below was taken from where I parked. I parked on the east end of the lot near the handicapped parking area as the snow was closer to the parking area, when I came up I pulled the sled up to the parking area on the west end closer to the dam and moved the truck down to load as people had left already
[signature]
OK, I did not realise that pic was taken while you were standing in the parking lot, that's much closer than I thought. Did you drive up from the Kamas side or Evanston side of the road?
[signature]
Went up and back through Kamas as that’s where my gps took me as the shortest route, 150 was clear the whole way, there is packed ice in spots on the road into the lake and the corner going into the parking lot is slick
[signature]
I guess you had to stop and buy the pass to drive through on that road, is it still $5?
[signature]
I saw the signs but didn’t stop. figured, maybe incorrectly, that the Golden eagle pass had me covered
[signature]
Yep, that was us. I was about to go over to talk to you several times but always got distracted. We found that we did better with some fairly aggressive jigging, but regular jigging and deadsticking worked, too. Was there any special thing you did to get the brook and grayling? I'll be going back soon and want to give it my best at getting those two species.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

We found that we had to pull our sleds over a few bare patches of rocks and there were individual rocks poking up out of the snow in spots. The snow is shallow and easy to walk on for the most part. It's about as easy to got on and off as any I've fished.
[signature]

It's $6 and $45 for an annual.
[signature]

Craig
Dang sorry we didn’t connect. No nothing special to get them, I saw the grayling come in on the fish finder up high and then go down to the jig and hit it, didn’t know what it was until I got it up. The brookie came down low also. Did see other marks up high in the water column that were probably Greyling based on RU22’s post/comments. Let me know when you head up, might be able to meet you up there
[signature]
Thanks for the info on the pass Craig.
[signature]
If you did not get a ticket, I guess you were correct on the Golden eagle pass. By the way, is the Golden eagle pass a federal pass? I know I got one some years past when they were ending the lifetime pass deal but I haven't been able to find it. Last year I ended up buying a year pass because I need one for going through Zion NP so much, on my Desert Bighorn hunt.
[signature]
Used to be called that but now the name has been changed to “ America The Beautiful Pass” and when you turn 62 you can get a lifetime pass for 80 bucks, I think it was 50 or so when I got mine 3 years ago.

Yes it’s a Federal Pass for the parks and National forests. I believe for all others (age wise) you can only get the annual pass or pay the daily entry fee.
[signature]
The one I got was at the the Golden Spike out by Promatary point and it was a lifetime pass, so if I can find it I bet it will work on that road. I got mine a lot cheaper than $50, I think it was only $10 or $15 and you are right it was for those 62 and older.
[signature]
Yes I remember them being called that after the Eagle went away, when I turned 60 they started going up and when I got mine there was talk of them going over the 100 mark
[signature]