Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henrys 11/9
I fished Henry's on Saturday from 7:00am to 3pm just outside the buoys near the Hatchery in 4 to 9 feet of water, there was 7" of solid clear ice that was really noisy for several hours in the middle of the day. It was not fast fishing, I caught about 10 total of all three species Cutthroat, Hybrid and Brook nothing really large, the biggest was around 3 lbs. I caught them all on a white Maniac Gittzilla tipped with meal worm. I tried a number of other jigs on my Jaw Jacker and it only got bit once but didn't hook up, I think I need a tutorial on how to use it, I have yet to catch anything on it since I bought it last year. The bite was very light, I would jig to bring fish onto my screen then hold my rod dead stick until I would feel the lightest tap and set the hook. I'll be back up there next Saturday and plan on trying to get farther away from the people to see if I can up my count. I am also interested if there is Ice on Mackay yet, if its fishable I may try there instead.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good outing. Jaw jacket can be tricky to dial in based on the bite. Adjust the tension knob to ensure you don't miss a bite, but not so lite that it trips on the slightest bite. I'll be up there Saturday as well. Good luck!
[signature]
I have been there 3 times and going again tomorrow. I have two jaw jackers and they have only caught a couple fish. Most of the time I have needed to be jigging small 1 or 2 inch jigs to get a bite.
[signature]
Looks like you had a successful trip. I am looking forward to the ice season this year.
Nice pics too. They look good and healthy.
[signature]
Interesting that the JJ's are having issues catching fish this year... Last year they were the only fish we were hooking was on the jackers... Things change, I'd suggest a couple things that might help, one is rod selection for the JJ's requires a flexible but stiff rod to work well... I had to go through my rods to find some that worked well, because the soft really flexible rods didn't have the backbone to stick the fish, my really stiff rods ended up busting the end off the rod, so I had to find the just right length and stiffness and my memory sucks so I don't remember which rods ended up working best for me, but I do know my lightning rod by Berkly busted in the JJ and I have a Frabill noodle that won't set a hook for trying it's way too soft... Good luck.. Jeff
[signature]
I,m using a Jaw Jacker brand rod in mine. My guess is that I would have better luck with the Jigging Jaw Jacker, but it’s pretty pricey to use for my second rod as I do pretty good with the one in my hand.
[signature]