Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VETERANS DAY
I know there are many members on BFT that are also Veterans. So I want to let you all know that I and all my family thank you for your service to this great nation.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I was born in 1947, of parents who both served in the Army during WWII. In those years, young men were expected to serve in the military - and those who did not were looked down upon as shameful shirkers of their natural duty. My formative years were filled with those wonderful patriotic movies of the past war such as Flattop, Midway, Run Silent Run Deep, Twelve O'Clock High, and many more. I knew from the age of five that I wanted to be "John Wayne Fighter Pilot." Seeing brand new and sexy T-33 jets flying low over my house into the nearby Air Force Base reinforced that desire.

I was fortunate enough to do all that - I even logged some 60 hours in the attack trainer version of the AT-33/F-80 I had watched as a kid, earning the rating of Ground Attack Fighter Pilot. I ended up serving 10 years active and then 13 years Reserve, to complete a full career, retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel.

Thanks are not necessary. I have been the very first molecule at the tip of the spear, and I have trained others to be the same. I have felt monsoonal misery and stratospheric ecstasy. My heart is already warmed with the knowledge that I did my duty, helped preserve my country, and experienced things along the way that simply cannot be gotten any other way. It was an honor.

But you are most sincerely welcome for your thoughts.
[signature]
Thank You

22 years active duty enlisted retired from USAF SMSGT

Better half 26 years active duty retired CMSGT

All in aircraft maintenance specifically jet engines and back during our service tenure we busted back sides to prove ourselves.

Enlisted in 1977 and 1978 respectively and for our gender and the career field we entered, well you can get the jest.

Salute to all other veterans past and currently serving this great nation.
[signature]
Rocky, you are about 8 years my senior. But I was raised by parents that were as patriotic as anyone could get. They were both working in the Douglas Aircraft Plant in Long Beach Calif. in the late 30's building cargo aircraft for the USAAF. My dad's older brothers were both Navy, one in WWI, one in mid 30's thru WWII. When Pearl Harbor was attacked on 7 Dec 1941, my dad tried to enlist and was denied. He was married to my mom, and they had just had my oldest sister in July 1941, plus he was working in what was considered a war critical industry. So he quit his job at Douglas and joined the Merchant Marine as a Baker. He sailed up and down the west coast from Los Angeles to Seattle for over 4 years. They had just ported in Seattle when they received news of the Japanese surrender. Being a civilian, he "jumped" ship and caught a train back to LA and my mom and sister.
I enjoyed all of the same movies that you did. My parents taught all of us kids the proper respect for the flag, and even during the worst years of Vietnam, they demanded we show respect for all military members. I think it was expected of me to follow the men in my family and "go Navy". I became the black sheep of a sailing tradition family and joined the USAF, 8 days after graduation from H.S. 1973. I chose to learn a trade in aircraft maintenance and became one of the ground troops that kept your jets flying.

I traveled to many "garden spots" that many Americans at the time probably couldn't find on a map. But I was a "Cold War" warrior and was never in any real combat danger. My first assignments were in SAC on B52 bombers and we felt the constant pressure of possible world ending nuke war. In my 20 year career I worked almost every aircraft in the fleet at that time. Living in Europe for 6 years, and traveling to numerous countries that did not enjoy the freedoms of America, made me even more positive that I was doing what every male American should do.

I don't care what service someone was in, I don't care what their politics may have been, first and foremost, all that served had the same first name "U.S."
As you say: "It was an honor" and I feel the same, but I was raised to be thankful to those that deserve thanks. And today is a day when that thanks should be spoken publicly, loud and long.

USAF MSgt. (Ret)
[signature]

Cool
Thank you to both you and the better half.
[signature]

Cool
I'm a Air Force vet. 1972 to 1976. I don't know if Utah has it, but here in Idaho you can get a Veteran driver's license. And since I have got mine I have heard "Thank you for your service." A hundred times. And last month , when I passed a slow moving truck on a double yellow line, there was a Blackfoot cop car with two police in it coming toward me that saw me. They wipped around and I pulled over. The cop said "You know it was a double yellow line, don't you?" I said " Yes, I really screwed up. But he was going so slow. " Well they took my licence, registration and proof of insurance and went back by there cop car for a couple of minutes. Then they came back, handed me my stuff and said " Thank you for your service. " And let me go.
[signature]
Yes, Utah does. I just got my new TSA-approved Gold Star Utah license, and it has Veteran and Donor notations. (They seem to have dropped the CCW notation that used to be there.)
[signature]
And a lot of places will give you a 10% veterans discount. More and more all the time. Don't forget to ask.
[signature]
Thanks Forest and all those that have served in the past and are presently serving. I come from a long line of past military. Starting with the French and Indian in 1767. My relatives have been involved in every chance to fight for the freedoms that make our way of life possible. I served in the Air Force from 72-76. When I had a chance to serve there was no question about what I would do. No regrets!
[signature]
Got my Gold Star license in July. I didn't notice the gold star at first until I saw something on the news about not being able to travel by air without that star after some time in 2020. new license also says Veteran.
Have had a CCW for about 7 years, never noticed any indication of it on my drivers license. I know that the CCW is tied by computer to a drivers lic. So anytime I have had to present my lic, I let the officer know up front that I am a CCW holder, and weather or not I am armed or carrying in my vehicle.
[signature]

Cool
See, I knew there were probably more Vets on this forum.
Thank you for your service Randy, and have been pleased to meet you this past summer.
[signature]

Cool
Ben, a very long line of protectors of this nation. Would like to hear some of that history someday. I can only go back as far as my dad and uncles on my dad's side. But my mom traced her history back to the English that fought Cromwell (and lost) [Wink] She came from the family of Sir John Lucas. He was given the chance to serve Cromwell when Cromwell defeated the King, he said NO, and Cromwell had him beheaded, [:/] Bet he had regrets for a few seconds maybe...........[Wink].
I know I didn't always enjoy what I was doing at the time, but I have never regretted my 20 years in the USAF.
[signature]

Cool
Born June 1947 and raised in Northern Wis. Entered AF March 1966 on 90 day delayed enlistment. Started active duty 21 June 66, after basic training in Amarillo Texas, sent to jet engine training at Chanute AFB. PCS to Mt. Home AFB for a year then off to Viet Nam landed at Tan Son Nhut AB Oct. Friday 13th 1967. Worked 90 days in recipe shop working C-123Ks and C-47s. Then back to my Jet engine AFSC, working on RF-4C and RF-101s. Worked night shift, 1900 to 0700 hrs. Got pretty wild during TET Offensive Jan 68. Returned to states Oct.68 to the 49th Tac Fighter Wing Black sheep Sqd. Holloman AFB, Then returned to Mt. Home for 3 years in the 366th Gun Fighters, Next tour was 3 years RAF Alconbury England, returned to USA March 76 to the 388th at Hill AFB until Jan. 1984. My Last 2 1/2 years were spent at Chanute AFB as the course Supv. of the F-15/F16 engine training course. Retired as a MSGT 1 July 1986. Worked at Morton Thiokol 1987-1992 Rocket test technician firing crew on the newly designed booster rockets for the space shuttle. I'm in the last row first on the left end. Hired on at Hill AFB. 1997-2017, Picture of me and my crew I am in the Middle of last row, I supervised the F-16 Flight Control shop from 2002-2005 until I moved to Aircraft Quality for my last 12 years. Now I'm living the dream fully retired but starting to deal with the affects of Agent Orange exposure in Viet Nam. Currently a 90% disabled Vet.
[signature]
My home of record is Dyersburg, Tenn. I enter the Air Force in 1972 with basic training at Lackland AFB, Tx. Went to jet engine school at Chanute AFB and on to Travis AFB in early 1973 for duty working C5A & 141A transports during Vietnam Era. Re-enlisted in 1976 for 2nd tour and relocated to the 388th FW at Hill AFB in April. I also met & worked with Pete(Packfan)amongst other off duty activities. I finished a 38yr career with combined military & DOD civilian in 2011.
I have a brother who's retired AF went to Vietnam in 1969. Three other siblings were also active Air Force during my time 2 of which were also at end of Vietnam era.
My dad US Navy retired in 1961 flew on PBY's & PBM's was at the Battle of Midway and also served during Korean War.
My mother is a gold star family member as she lost her brother in WWII KIA on the USS Langley CV1, his body never recovered.

My wife's father was a transport pilot in the Army Air Force during WWII & the newer USAF during Korean War. Her uncle(fathers brother) was an F4 fighter pilot in Vietnam.
Wife's mothers brother was a B24 bomber pilot in WWII with 57 missions over North Africa.
Wife's brother was drafted in the Army and sent to Vietnam in 1968 as a sniper.
[signature]