Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A 'Berry Good Veterans Day
After reading so many good reports from Strawberry the last couple of weeks, we decided to make a day trip today, also the first major fishing day out of my new boat. I took my Dad and a friend with me, arriving at Strawberry Marina at a little before 7 am. Was greeted by 21 degree weather and a small breeze. We launched soon after.

We motored over to an area that has always produced well for us ice fishing, and it didn't disappoint. We anchored up and were into fish immediately. Tubes tipped with crawler or sucker both worked and caught lots of fish. Fishing was hot at times with a couple of triples and several doubles. It slowed at the first spot so we moved about 100 yards and anchor up again. Same result, fish on!

At a lull late in the morning we motored out of the area and checked a couple of other spots with only one solo fish to show for it. So we headed back to the original area, anchored up and we were into fish again.

Final tally for the boat for the day, 139 fish. We did not count bites lost or long releases. They had to at least be thrashing next to the boat to count. Almost all were cutts in the slot with the biggest at 21.5". We ended up with 6 bows that came home with us. Jim caught 50, my Dad 35 and I caught the rest. We were back at the truck about 4 pm. We would have been off sooner but I wanted Jim to hit the 50 mark and it had slowed down and took a little while to get there.

I have heard of epic days at the Berry but finally had one ourselves. Man that is a fabulous fishery!
[signature]

Sounds like you had a fantastic day , I need to get up there this week before the nasty weather gets here next week. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Good job Jig. Whats your thoughts on fishing out of the new boat? My wife is trying to pursuade me into a 'family boat'
[signature]
Plenty of room for the 3 of us, boat handled waves well, it really gets up and goes. The back rear bench seat is removable so we left that at home to give us more room.
Only drawback is towing the boat. The boat is a lot heavier than my old one. Pulling up to Strawberry and back used almost a tank of gas in my truck, and going up the hills was a bit slower. No pedestal seating so standing like we did for most of the day was rough on the back, especially for my Dad. Trolling wouldn't be an issue though.
[signature]
Great trip, and great write up. I had a blast thanks again for the invite. Definitely the most fish I’ve caught in a single day.

-Jim
[signature]
Thanks for the info
[signature]
I was glad that you could rearrange your schedule. It was a blast!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. These are the glory days right now!
[signature]
Paul, what kind of new boat did you get ?
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
An 18 ft Bayliner with a 125 hp Mercury outboard with a trolling plate. It has a 55 lb thrust bow mount motor. It is as much of a play boat as a fishing boat. Wife wanted something we could play out of as a family. It is a 2004.
[signature]
Worked for Bayliner at their Valdosta, Ga. plant in 1994 as a Lamination equipment mechanic. Bayliner makes fairly good general purpose boats.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool