Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge
Hello all,

Never posted on the Utah forum, but been on the Idaho one for quite a while now. I'm curious if anyone could share some ice fishing info for Flaming Gorge. I've never fished it but I'd like to try this winter. Any info would be greatly appreciated and I'd be more than willing to share some info from up my way as well. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
I'll be ice fishing Flaming Gorge this season.
[signature]
Firehole at the top of the reservoir has been ice on/ice off for a couple of weeks. With the forecast, it'll likely be capped and potentially fishable by Thanksgiving. It's a good spot to fish early, specifically for burbot, but you can also catch rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, and lake trout. Burbot are most commonly caught at night, and the other species throughout the day.

Usually the Confluence is ready around Christmas-New Years. Burbot are a candidate there as well, but fishing is usually better there for rainbows, cutts, and lake trout. Ice growth down reservoir from there is so dependent on weather. I've seen some winters where mainlake Buckboard stays open water, but on a normal cold year, it can be capped by the first-second week of January. Lots of options open up for all species down there, and the area around Buckboard was a "hot spot" for lakers last ice season.

Glow tubes, jigs, and jigging spoons will work well for burbot and lakers, and tipping with bait like chub or sucker really helps. Burbot are commonly caught at night, and I usually target 10-40ft of water, while lakers are more commonly caught in the main channel, anywhere from 50-100ft of water. Lakers are also caught while targeting burbot at night. Rainbows and cutts can be caught on a variety of tackle like Atomic tubes, small jigging spoons, etc tipped with meal worms or Gulp. They're more commonly caught right under the ice while fishing for lake trout, or in shallow water (10-20ft) along the shoreline.

Don't hesitate to just search Flaming Gorge and the species you desire too. There's a lot of vids, articles, etc that have been done over the years that really get into the specifics of how, where, and when to catch whatever species you plan to target.

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Wow, thanks you so much for the information! I’ve watched some videos and searched a few things, but the info you just gave me makes me feel way more confident about heading over that way.

When I decide to come over I’ll post so anyone on that side can cons join me. Shoot the bull and hopefully catch some fish. I usually go alone.
[signature]
Good example of what this site is all about. A knowledgeable person sharing their expertise with the rest of us. Great report.
[signature]
This photo was taken November 14 just north of Firehole. After the extremly cold weather a few weeks ago, there was even some ice in the back of the bays as far south as Squaw Hollow. I think that is gone now. I'm hoping to be down that way tomorrow.
[signature]