Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fliggin Finale at Willard 12-3-19
[#0000ff]Spotted a hole in the storm pattern for today and decided to fill it with my (potentially) last open water trip to Willard. 31 degree air temp at 7:15 launch. Water temp 36 inside and 37 outside...warming all the way up to 38 by noonish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had a couple of new flig patterns I wanted to give a workout. One was my "traffic light"...red, green and yellow spots on a glow white body. The other was a glow version of my newly wondrous chartreuse perch. Both produced well...with the traffic light catching the first, the most and the biggest.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started inside the marina...working around the SE corner as per usual. CRUNCH! Not watching where I was going I backed into a thin ice layer that extended out quite a ways from shore...almost all the way to the end of the docks. A few really cold nights and the marina could cap.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Saw shad on sonar and figured there were still some fish inside for the groceries. Figured right. Got a handful of perch and one feisty kitty. But it was slow. About 9ish I decided to give it try outside the marina. With the water temps being right in the zone where I have done well on perch in the past I was thinking there might be some potential out there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was. Not fast fishing but lots of shad and other "suspects" on sonar. And enough inquiries that I was able to add some more perch to my basket...as well as sending back several smaller ones (8-9 inchers). Finished the day with eleven porky perch over 10 inches...with one 13 incher and a couple of footlongs. Not bad.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Caught a total of three cats. Surprisingly, they all put up a pretty good scrap in the cold water. Oh yeah, I also hooked one big fish that burned line off the drag and bent my stick. I was hoping wiper. But the "wiper" turned out to be the golden kind...with big scales and puckered lips. Still fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I wondered what the condition of the parking area and ramps might be like after the heavy snow. There was a two lane wide path plowed from the main road to the ramp...and the ramp had been plowed...leaving some big balls of snow. There were no lines visible in the parking lot so just guessed and parked. No problem. No other cars in the parking lot all day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The gates to the main docks have been left open for winter anglers. There were several dock dunkers working them over most of the morning. No idea how good or bad they did. I was busy outside.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of new snow on the mountains and the clouds stayed low most of the morning. But about 10:30 the ceiling lifted and the sun came out. Hazy though. And that's about when the bite slowed to almost nothing. And I hit the ramp and headed home.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I drove past on my way up north for meetings and saw your rig. Thought seriously about swinging in to see how the action was and join in if I seen a curved rod tip, but figured I better behave and go make the grocery money.

It sure sucks to be a responsible adult. Glad to see a few were still willing to play.
[signature]
Thanks for the great report and pictures as usual, Pat.

You picked a great day to be out on the water. I hit HN myself and I was the only one in the parking lot there too.

I can see some chowder and maybe some tacos in your future.[Wink]
[signature]
Great report and fun pictures always a joy to read the big blue report. Hope the perch holds you over its going to a few month unless you get your icy poles out lol
[signature]
[#0000FF]Ya shoulda waved. I woulda waved back...even using all my fingers.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Got the intel from a couple of regulars that the perch and a few nice crappies are hanging around those docks now. And as soon as the ice caps the marina it can be good fishing to drill holes in the still thin ice next to the docks and dunk the appropriate offerings.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I know what it's like to have to (four letter word denoting slave labor). Spent a lot of years running all over the country to be able to afford my tackle...errr food for the family. Kids used to call me "Uncle Daddy".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the report. I have been following your reports on HN too. Glad you guys finally found where the hungry fish hang out.[/#0000FF]

[font "Arial Black"][size 3]"I can see some chowder and maybe some tacos in your future."[/size][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][size 3]
[/size][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][size 3][#0000FF]I do love perch chowder...and also fish tacos. But onward and upward. Recently I have been doing more with the oven...as in the two attached recipes. Since I am the sole provider of edible fish parts for my wifes sis and her husband...who dearly love fish but don't fish...I usually share if I have enough. Today's catch was enough for us to make Surf N Surf and her to make Shrimp Rice Dressing.[/#0000FF]
[/size][/font]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I gave up ice fishing a couple of years ago...or at least it gave up on me. Used to love it but the advances of age make it more a matter of endurance than enjoyment.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good job Pat. Liking the looks of that traffic light.
[signature]
Modified an existing recipe to make a damn fine Kitty Curry. Thanks for the new ones. Someday I might be able to give them a try.
[signature]
Pat, very nice haul of perch you got there!
Congrats!
If I did not have such a hard time keeping my prosthetic hand warm I would chase them much more in the late fall.
[signature]
[quote FatBiker]Good job Pat. Liking the looks of that traffic light.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Thanks Larry. I have been making lures with those colors for several years. My own takeoff on the "Wonder Bread" pattern...which is red, BLUE and yellow. I have used the WB pattern with good success on several species. But my version...with the bright green instead of blue...seems to work a little better for me. And adding some glow for fishing in low light, poor visibility or very cold water also seems to bump up the results.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]This was actually my first time using the traffic light pattern on a white background...with glow. Most of my past use was on a gold holo glitter background. See the attached pics. I discovered that combo many years ago when I used to buy and use a gold lure with that color spots. The lures are no longer available so I began making my own. I originally put the red, green and yellow spots on some gold spinners for trout but a lot of other species have voted for them too.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]After yesterday's success I can guarantee I will be decorating more of the fligs...of different sizes and shapes...with the purty new dots.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thankee, sir.
[/#0000FF]

[size 3]"If I did not have such a hard time keeping my prosthetic hand warm I would chase them much more in the late fall."[/size]
[size 3]
[/size]
[size 3][#0000FF]Whaaaaa? Hey, I've been with you on a cold late fall trip to Starvation. And what about ice fishing? Are you pulling my non-prosthetic leg?[/#0000FF]
[/size]
[signature]
Every year circulation gets worse and bad arm gets colder.
I’m working on some electrical heat pads to run off my quad and boats 12v circuit but I should of started months ago.
Stupid ducks and geese....
[signature]
I really like that stop light pattern Pat. I bet that would be killer on the little ice jigs that you make. BTW, those jigs have been my go to on the ice for the past 4 years. I use nothing else. I need to come down and replenish my stock.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad I have been able to contribute to your delinquency. You know you are always welcome.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I plan to make several of my lure designs with the traffic light pattern...especially the ice stuff. Gotta get started on some more. And I will be making them in white glow, silver and gold. Let me know which type of jigs you need to resupply and I will make sure to have plenty for you to choose from. Ran down last year and been fliggin' around too much and have neglected the ice trinkets.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Larry tells me you made good use of the minnows we got. Those small chubs are what I have been using to tip my fligs on Willard. But I got them someplace besides where we met for yours.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote MrShane]Every year circulation gets worse and bad arm gets colder.
I’m working on some electrical heat pads to run off my quad and boats 12v circuit but I should of started months ago.
Stupid ducks and geese....[/quote]

[#0000FF]Sorry to hear about the decline in circulation. Heck, I have been out of circulation for years. But that's another issue.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There are other potential options. Have you tried taping a couple of those little "Hot Hands" hand warmers in between a couple of layers of clothing? I know a couple of folks with similar issues and those things last 10 hours. There are also various kinds of toe warmers that might work. Google them and see what comes up.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Have you been getting in any good shooting? Saw a lot of quackers and honkers on Willard Tuesday. Some big rafts way out in the middle...and a few flocks coming over the lake from time to time.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hit and miss, Utah will always be hit and miss as we are second driest State.
Just like big perch are hit and miss,right!
Its a shame Willard does not have more structure and perennial vegetation we could rely on.
My son and I both shot our swans last week.
P.S. I’m the ugly one on the right.
[signature]
Good on the two of you, glad they were flying!
[signature]
"Its a shame Willard does not have more structure and perennial vegetation we could rely on."

[#0000FF]The past three years the water levels have been up enough to keep some of the low water brush growth flooded during the spring perch spawn. But most of that is inside the harbors and up into the inlet. That is why they congregate there late in the year and under the ice. With the very high water this year there should be a good spawn for both perch and crappies this spring.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Beautiful birds. The guy on the right...not so much. How much do those swans weigh out?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
About 15-17 lbs.
Mine was a Tundra.
My sons was a Tundra/ Trumpeter cross according to the biologist.
[signature]