Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any underwater camera users?
I have always been fascinated with nerdy tech. Since Cookie has agreed to venture out on the ice this year with me, I have been pondering the acquisition of an underwater camera to add some fun to the experience for her. I personally have never used one (except dunking my gopro for a minute to film).

Any users out there with thoughts, advice or preferences? Or do you find the waters to murky to enjoy such trinkets?
[signature]
I use the Waterwolf for trolling, I like watching the lure, the strike , & the catch. Now & then a fish will present its mugshot curious about the camera. It can be used for ice fishing but the downfall is you can't monitor it in realtime, it has be downloaded to a computer. RESULTS-Fun to watch, edit.
[signature]
Yah, I've got a new one that just came out.....it's called the Squid Go-Pro.
[signature]
I use the Marcum underwater camera and it makes ice fishing even funner. It needs to be shielded from light or you can't see the screen very well, but if you're in a tent then it's perfect. I can't believe how many perch will suck a bait in without the slightest indication at the spring bobber or even ice bobber. To watch them as they are taking your bait is a game changer and I've nailed lots of fish by watching them inhale my jig without any indication of a bite at the rod tip.

Mike
[signature]
I have two older Atlantis systems that I have used over the years, it can be fun and helpful when the water isn't too murky. I usually taken one when my daughter goes with to help keep her entertained watching for fish on the bottom, but if it is just me or my boys then I leave them home, don't really need the extra weight, a good flasher is more helpful in my opinion.
[signature]
I confirm what Mike posted on watching the bite. I also use mine to find structure and see what the otherwise abstract to me images on the fish finder mean. I like both the finder information and the video on the same screen to see both at once.

See all that I've posted on my MarCum LX-9 with this link:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...core&mh=25
[signature]
I have a Marcum . it's fun and frustrating to see fish looking at your jig then just swim away. Dose help in finding just what the fish like. An aggressive jigging or twitching jig or just a dead stick.

Mantua is good place water is normally clear. but if your going to Willard don't bother to bring it. Cant see a thing.

Takes a few minutes to setup. need to pan around to find your jig. You could invest in one of those fancy panner tripod. I just use a five gallon bucket lid with a hole and slit cut in it. to position the camera.

Whis mine had recording capability. Sure that with all the new tec now they do come with it.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Tell us more please!
[signature]
Nope, sorry. I am intrigued also, but more to know if what I am seeing on the fishfinder is perch or crappie at pineview. Everywhere else I am good with just a fishfinder.
[signature]
I have a Marcum Recon 5 and it's really fun at times and sometimes it's the only finder that does any good. With your son it might be really fun for him to watch the fish come in and circle your lures... If I'm taking my FIL with me, I'll set up the camera first and put it in his hole and let him watch the fish come after his jig... I've found he does a lot better with the camera than the finders, and really enjoys seeing the different fish that are down there... Very few places are too murky to use the camera, but one that surprised me was Bear Lake... There is so much mineral and stuff in that water it looks like a snow storm under the surface...

If you have company with you the camera is always good to have in the set up, if alone, it sometimes takes a lot of time monkeying with it and I don't always set it up if I'm out to catch fish, but that really depends on what I'm fishing for and whether I'm camped or moving around... They do take time and practice to learn how to set them up so you can see what you need to from the correct distance... I usually set up the camera about 3' from the hole I'm fishing so I can see as much as possible without getting out of the clear region, but each pond will be different and learning to find your jigs in the display takes time... You're welcome to come try mine once we get on ice and see if it's something you might want to try... I usually take it with me, but don't always set it up, but I'll gladly do it if you want to check it out... Later Jeff
[signature]
Rather than reply to each, I will say thanks to all. As I figured, it is the kinda thing I would enjoy and will likley secure one. I might hook up with ya Jeff to see yours in action before i handover some coins
[signature]
I have an AquaVu and really like it. It is amazing to see how the fish are responding compared to what the flasher is saying. I certainly think it's worth it. I would miss a lot more fish if I didn't have it to be honest.
[signature]
Saw your comment about aqua view what camera system do you have? Im looking at an aqua view alsi. I'd like to know pros and cons of first hand knowledge of it. If you have the time to thank you
[signature]