Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield 12/7/19
Catchinon and I fished near the Madsen Bay ramp this afternoon. Ice was about 5” thick and we were in 12-21 fow. Most action was at the bottom and about the middle of the water column. We caught about 40 fish between the two of us, mostly 13-15.5” cuts with a few rainbows in the 12-13.5” range. All nice and fat. No tigers, no chubs.

Best bait for us was wax worms, either on a small white, green/white, or gold tungsten jig. Craig caught quite a few on a green atomic teaser while I had minimal luck, so I changed to both rods with tungsten jigs. Slight to moderate jigging seemed to help but we caught a few deadsticking and several as our rig descended.

Maybe a total of 50 people on the ice in the Madsen Bay area over the time we were there (noon to dark). Saw two snowmobiles in limited action on the ice on the east side by the cabins.
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Good to hear the ice is fish able and the fish willing. Gives us hope for hard water in other places.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]What were the snow/slush conditions?
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
There was about 1” of snow on top of the ice. Where holes were drilled and we were standing it got a little slushy/wet. Edges held up okay but also had a little standing water in the afternoon. It was overcast and not extremely cold. Could be worse on a sunny day.

The ramp made access pretty good pulling sleds on and off the lake. The parking lot was partially plowed but snow was not so deep it would be a problem outside of the plowed areas. Not sure about the south end of the lake or other access points beyond Madsen Bay boat ramp.
[signature]

Yes, we got excited when Trial Lake and others along Mirror Lake Highway were frozen early and still accessible. It has been hard to be patient for safe ice elsewhere.
[signature]

Sounds like a great day!!! Congrats and thanks for sharing the report. I can’t wait for ice close enough for me to get going. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Anyone got a current ice and fishing report for scofield
[signature]
Send a PM to catchinon he was there with Joatman. They will have the best info. Later Jeff
[signature]
We were there Tuesday, and the ice was 7 inches on the east side of Madison bay. Fished 2 1/2 hours and we got 23. White tubes tipped with chub. Bring your own chub cuze they are not there. 2 rb the rest cuts. Adv 15 inches.
[signature]
No Cubs is the best news ever when I was verry young I reamber fishing with my grand father and only catching big rainbows and cuts hope to see it that way again soon. Thanks for the info
[signature]