Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speckeld trout
Headed for the Bongo river at Cee Bee's Marine. Word had it the trout were biting so off I went. It's an hour and a half ride but the folks at the marina were more than helpful. After counting 25 trailers across the street I guess I was at the right place. Lady inside told me to use MirroDine #17 lures of which this northern boy has none. I did try a small white crank bait, popper cork with shrimp and even tried trolling like I have in past in VT. NOPE nothing. Finds out after talking with a DEP guy on shore you have to use those lures and pop them off the bottom like I use to do with silver buddy up north. Of course the couple of buddy I had were back home. Water was 67 so I didn't think I had fish that slow. Again this northern boy is on a big learning curve. But no matter it was a 75 degree day and some breeze to keep the sweat off. Looking forward in two weeks when my new lures come in. Of coursed the colors the nice lady told me about were out of stock at the distributor. But no matter. Still fishing in the winter so far and loving it.
[signature]
I was a bit Confused by many details of your post. However I take it you were fishing for sea trout on the the Pungo River in NC. Where you in a kayak? Sea Trout are very nonselective as well as very common. I would never worry about "what's working". Just find good cover they hang out in next to an area with descent current during the tide change. Any medium sized (2-5 inch) fish or shrimp shaped lure will work. If you aren't having luck while a descent current is occurring, I'd take the extra effort of looking for evidence of feeding fish. If the area isn't overfished trolling can also be very productive.
[signature]
Good for you, getting out and chasing some Winter fish. We are a long ways off from seeing temps that warm here, only 33 degrees right now. Have you ever tried eating sea trout, if so, are they anything like freshwater trout?
[signature]
Well I did go back to this area with a mirrolure in pink and chartreuse to get my first trout .Talked to some boys who were able to steer me on how to go after them. Yes they had just some simple white grubs with a black jig head along with some crank bait. I'll be waiting for another warm day to true again. I don't even want to think how much money that trout costs, We must all be crazy. LOL
[signature]