Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who needs Ice? Cookie's Utah Lake Report
Cookie would like me to share the following to some of our BFT friends ..." who needs that stinkn ice?" " I can catch my winter fish without trying to test fate and walk on water"

Dont worry she is still planning to meet some of ya on the ice and try it.

We hit UL saturday. Tried Saratoga first, but arrived just as a big front hit. Hard rain and wind battered us. Talked to a few anglers on the dike. They had a good early morning bite before the front moved in, both with WB and Crappie. They were tossing various jigs both straight and under a bobber. But we, or they, did not get a bite when the front hit.

Decided to drive over to American Fork harbor while we waited for the front to move over. Glad we did. WB bite really was strong when the front broke.

Caught them off every dock, best action was the dock farthest back in the marina. Nice WB, no dinks. Best luck was casting close to shore. The hot baits were a pink and a yellow floating jigs. FLIG like, but these were commercial products, not near as nice as Pat's ( got to catch up to him and get my starter kit).

We were rigged with a slip sinker, to a swivel and about 12" leader. Cast out and slowly bounced and twitched back. We were tipping with a piece of worm. Also used a red floating head. The pink was the hot color. Picked up over 75% on it.

Action was fast. Cookie was happy. We got our bait supply for cats next year topped off.

Fun video

https://youtu.be/Utt7KwTUyHg
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you got some tugs. Nice size whities.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]About that pink. A lot of history there. I have been fishing Utah Lake since the early 1960s. Did a lot of fishing in AF harbor in the late 70s and early 80s. It was amazing how the fish seemed to adopt a taste for pink when the water got colder. Got lots of walleyes and white bass on different pink goodies.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]PS...My pink fligs are fish approved too. Definitely gotta get you guys properly fligged out.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline PINK.JPG]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Looks like good time's fun video to watch thanks [bobWink]
[signature]
That looks like fun ! Good on the both of you.
[signature]
A guy fishing near us was tossing a pink jig, too. Not the floating variety, however. Looked almost like the squid type that is so popular with the koke fanatics. Looked like he was dragging bottom with it using a side swipe retrieve vs. A jigging action, almost like he has pulling a jerk bait. Very intriguing. The WB approved and were sharing the love with him too.
[signature]
Well done again! I'm glad you two stuck it out and ran into some willing fish. Interesting that they shut down and turned on so quickly with the weatehr change.
[signature]
Nice job you two! Its great to have days like that.
[signature]