Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua report 12/14/19
Joatmon and I fished at Mantua yesterday, Saturday. We parked on the southeast side and proceeded cautiously about 200 yards out onto the lake, spudding and drilling as we went. Ice was about 6" thick everywhere and we quit walking gingerly once we realized it was pretty safe. Areas that looked like they might be a little thin turned out to be spots where holes had been drilled. There was a couple of inches of water and slush on top.

A few fishers were out there already. EyLayo had told us that he caught quite a few bluegill and bass out around 7 fow. At less depth we were augering up weeds. Our fishing was very slow. Where we fished first we caught three pretty, fat rainbows but that wasn't what we were after so we kept moving out trying to locate the bluegill. A family came past us and set up a bit further out. They began catching trout and at least one bluegill so we moved further out, too. Eventually we each caught a small bluegill or two but that was it. We tried jigging for the bass with a few different spoons but they weren't having any of it. I believe Brett tried a Swedish Pimple and I gave it a go with a Johnson Shutter Spoon, tipped with meal worms per EyLayo's directions. We probably need to get a better selection and try again. I think the weather may have had some effect on our catching rate; it spit snow pellets on a cold wind out of the west most of the day. We used tungsten jigs with waxworms and meal worms. I caught one trout on a modified Atomic Teaser with waxworm.

The weather turned nastier and the wind started blowing snow down our necks in the afternoon. I finally couldn't take any more of the cold so we headed to the Tahoe to warm up and move over to the dam area to try for some perch. There were a few anglers set up in shelters not very far out from the ramp. We went out as far as the closest and drilled a couple of holes. We were only in 6 fow. I tossed my green tungsten jig with a waxworm down to see if anything was around. Boom! Fish on. I quickly pulled out a dark rainbow, about 12" like all the others. We decided to go further out and more to the north. We didn't go very far before we tried again. Now we were in 17', more like perch depth. I never got a nibble but Brett landed one to fill another species slot in the Challenge. Now he has 7 species and I'm up to 6 with the bluegill added.

While we were leaving another guy came by. He said he had caught about 10 each perch and rainbow, and one good bluegill. He was deadsticking a tungsten jig with waxworm on one and jigging a Tingler with the other. Anybody know anything about those? Size or color?

I see no reason why anyone shouldn't go there to fish at this point. I would just avoid trying to go way out or across the lake without very careful checking. Then, the weather is going to get very cold in the next couple of days which should freeze that water and slush on top and make it a little more comfortable that way.

I would like to go again soon and see if I can catch some bass. I can go Tuesday or Wednesday this week or sometime after Christmas if anyone is interested in joining me. PM me.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nice report, thank you. I cant commit just yet but I may be wanting to give it a go next Tuesday or Wednesday.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Craig, sounds like the catching is about the same a normal there, did you by chance see anyone way out there by the knoll? If you were on the SE side, that is the closest place to walk out from, to get to the knoll.
With all the rain and warmer weather we have had in the last week, enough snow has melted that I should be able to get my boat out now and give Willard another try, daytime temps are suppose to warm back up into the 40's by next Sun.[crazy]
[signature]
Great report! Glad you caught a few! I was out there this morning and it was slow for me too- only 2 planter bows, 1 perch and 1 bluegill.

I would most certainly continue to be cautious as i saw some warm springs or open areas..whatever you want to call them. I was out near the middle and the ice there was only 1.5 to 2" thick with 4" of frozen slush on top of that. There were a few other brave souls out there as well and it looked like it was slow for most everyone from what i could tell.

I'll try going again on Fri the 20th if you want to meet out there.

Good luck everyone and be safe.
[signature]
I didn't see anyone by the knoll. I wonder if the ice out that way was too sketchy to travel over. There weren't many people anywhere and most were around the edges. I expect people will get braver after the really cold weather over the next couple of days.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Excellent, good to hear.

I might go out tomorrow morning.
[signature]
Hey Derek, nice to see you on the board again... Sorry they didn't want to play very well for you... I may be out next Friday as well... Just not sure where to say yet... Hopefully the cold will lock up Hyrum and we'll be able to scatter the crowds... I'm afraid with Craigs report, next weekend will be full throttle... Guess I missed Mantua opener this year being too cautious with the crazy weather... and going to Henry's over the weekend, but that's okay there are still a couple places to catch bluegill and perch and bass that haven't iced over yet, so I'm not completely out of the running on the contest this year yet... Although I'm dragging my feet too much to do well... I better get busy and catch some fish... later Jeff
[signature]
Congrats Craig, you two are really rocking it this year... Thanks for a great report... Hopefully I'll get my ice attack underway soon... It's a fun time of year, I'm glad it's here... Even if I'm still learning all the stuff I shouldn't forget... Hope to see ya on the ice somewhere soon... Later Jeff
[signature]
Sounds like you found some. Got some more for your contest entries too. Bummer about the storm though. Today was much colder than it has been, which was nice not having to be in the water. Ice is looking a lot better.
[signature]
Craig,
A Tingler is a super popular spoon used a lot by ice fisherman, especially fisherman to our east.
It is simply a stamped metal, two dimensional ‘triangle’, with a slight waver in it. It has a treble hook on it and hangs from your line in an inverted position.
I would call it a flutter spoon and I keep mine in my ‘spoon’ tackle tray.
Excellent paint patterns and not just for ice use, hint hint.
Good luck, Shane
[signature]
Yeah, it's fun to be out in front for a while but I know that a lot of the heavy hitters haven't even started yet. I feel a bit like a 120 pound running back that has broken through into the secondary with about five big defensive backs bearing down on him from behind. It has been fun though, I must admit.
[signature]

[quote catchinon]I would like to go again soon and see if I can catch some bass. I can go Tuesday or Wednesday this week or sometime after Christmas if anyone is interested in joining me. PM me.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Jmorfish and I are planing to hit the ice tomorrow (Tuesday) but won't be there until about 9 to 9:30 AM. I was thinking Causey and he was thinking Mantua. Would be nice to hook up on either sheet of ice. What say you?[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I would love to meet up with you. But I may be jammed up with work. I'll let you know.
[signature]

That's the way you do well in this contest is to get out quick and fill a lot of the categories and then go back and try to improve your marks later, but just remember the time line on which species have short ice seasons and hit them when you can... It's better to be out front looking for bumps, than to be trying to catch up from behind... You're doing good, you learned well... best of luck and stay safe... Later Jeff
[signature]