Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum 12/21/9
My son and I went to Hyrum to get our first ice fix of the season. I had hoped to purchase an annual parks pass, but the office at the park was not open on a Saturday [Sad]. I wasn't willing to pay the $10 for one day instead of 75 for the year, so we fished by the dam. The ice was about 3.5 inches. We generally didn't stand together (I'm a big guy, and he passed me up in height this year), but when he was cutting holes and heard ice cracking he got nervous. There were no problems other than traction on the ice today. There surface had a lot of frost, and maybe some scattered snow, but it hasn't really snowed since capping. It was slick.

It was a slow morning, getting on the ice about 11. This was the first time using a Garmin striker 4 I just bought, and my first new sonar unit in 25 years, so I was as excited to get it in the water as I was about my line. First impression, the hole left by someone else was in 11 feet of water. No other signal.
I cut a couple more holes at 24 feet and 31 feet. I dropped my tungsten jig down and watched it go on the sonar all the way to the bottom. I jigged a little, and could see that on the graph as well. Still no fish though. After 10-15 minutes I looked at the sonar and it looked like there was some signal appearing, though I didn't know what it was. I jigged the line a couple of times and got a bit. As I was reeling that one in, I noticed the bottom suddenly looked 3 feet closer as what I can only assume was a school moved through. I caught 4 perch in rapid succession, and then the bottom dropped again. That was as exciting an introduction to a graph as I could have hoped. Sadly, I didn't see that happen again over the next 2 hours. The only other one I caught came from a hole without sonar signal at the time, as did both of Josh's.
I have wondered why tungsten is so popular for ice jigs. It seemed today that the jig had a much better signal in a hole 3 feet away below 15 feet than a kastmaster dropped down the same hole as the transducer.
All in all, it was a little slow, but between us we caught 7 perch, all between 8-10 inches on jigs tipped with night crawler.

We'll be back this coming week. I also bought a Fatfish shelter this week, and will try it when I have a little more confidence in the ice.

When I got home I bought a state parks pass online, and the confirmation says it can be used as proof of purchase until the pass is delivered.
[signature]
tks for the report...glad you got a few....I noticed you said you didn't get out 'til about 1100...can't talk for all others, but my experience with perch is that the best bite is usually earlier A.M. , and if the solunar chart is favorable, you might get an off and on (but slower) bite after that also...Guluk...
[signature]
Thanks for the report and glad you were able to get out. I swung by the launch area about 10:30 on the way out to the property and talked with a few guys that were fishing close to the launch, they had pretty good action early and then the bite slowed for them but they got a couple perch and a bow while we were chatting. The ice was 3.5” to 4 from what they said, and were standing next to each other as their group moved around th.eir holes, no cracking or popping like Jeff and I had on Friday. Hopefully I get on the lake on Tuesday and Thursday if I get the shop area I’m working on closed in tomorrow which should happen.
[signature]
I have been using a garmin striker 4 for last 3 years. Love it. Have one on my small boat and qstriker 5 on my bigger boat. Let the wife use my striker 4 last year ice fishing because I was catching and she was not. I now have 2 striker 4 for ice fishing. Have to keep the wife happy.
[signature]
Great report. I am excited to get up there with Cookie. Newton too.
[signature]
Is it just me, or did you think the perch are turning into roving bands of fish this year? Last year they would stay in a pile and once you found them you could sit on top and catch fish till you were bored, but they were like 7"ers and not that much fun to catch... This year they seem to keep moving, but they are bigger fish, mostly in the 9" range with some 10's and a few 8's... I'd watch on the finder and a good would show up and I'd catch a fish, reel it in fast and hurry and take it off and get right back down and I'd catch 2 or 3 fish and then they would be gone for half an hour and they it would happen again... Makes me want a panoptics system so I could see where they are moving so I could chase them... Maybe I'm crazy, but that's what it seemed like to me... Later Jeff
[signature]
100% that has been my experience too.

We were back at it today, and the same thing happened, nothing for a while, then pull up several, then wait again. As long as they come through, it's nice. We played cards between the brief moments of excitement, and didn't get tired of catching. Then the ice started singing and cracking and Josh decided we shouldn't be too close together.
The fish were mostly between 7-9 inches, with a few on the low and high ends. Total catch was only about 20 fish this morning, but we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. In spite of getting there between 8-8:30, most of the fish were caught after 9:30.
[signature]
Although I do catch most of the fish in the morning, perch are not early risers and I rarely catch many before the sun is up. Oh and I do have to make a confession, I’m a perch convert. Up till tonight I’d never really liked the perch they seemed to have a sewer taste to them. Tonight I fried up a bunch from that last trip to Hyrum and they were sooo good. So I’m starting to see what everyone was saying. Now if I try Newton and they taste bad, I’ll know to only keep them at Hyrum. Later Jeff
[signature]