Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake
Went out this morning at 7am and fished 'til 9:30am. Caught 20 white bass on swedish pimple with mealworms. Then I cut up the white bass for bait on my dead stick rod. Caught quite a few on the plain white bass meat The ice was a little over 1", but it held up my 190 lbs body. I only took a few steps, didn't want to push my luck.
[signature]
Great report and pic. You are one brave dude to even try and fish on ice that thin. Was there anyone else fishing there around you?
[signature]
I was standing on the dock fishing. I did take a few steps 2 days ago, but still scary.
[signature]
Met up with Craig (Catchinon) this morning at the boat dock in UL State Park. We fished until 9:30 am. We caught a few whitebass, but it was slow this morning. Glad to meet you Craig, sorry the crappie did not come out to play today.
[signature]
Do you happen to know if they charge at the American Fork Harbor during the winter?
[signature]
I am not sure if they charge you to fish there because I don't fish up there. I have the state park pass so I mostly fish there because it is close to my house. Maybe someone can chime in if they fish AF harbor.
[signature]
It was nice to fish with you, Phong. We'll have to do it again so you can show me how your homemade jaw jacker works.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig, after you left I caught 2 on the hook setter that I made. Ended up catching 6 on the other dock with my friends.
[signature]
It really pains me to hear guys talking about going out on 1-2" of ice. You may get away with it once or twice, but in the end, you are going through, and you don't know when that will be. Usually in the Utah Lake harbors, you only have 3-4 ft of water this time of year, so if you go through, you are usually standing when it is all over. Not this year !! There is 8-10 ft of water in all the harbors, you go through, you better hope you come up where you broke through, other wise you will have to break through some where else and you may not be able to. Let's all be SMART and use good judgement, stay off the ice till it is thick enough, 3-4 inches for a single person, 4-6 for groups. Be safe, have fun, and don't take chances that you will regret! ( or your family will !!)
Thanks for your concern and warning. It irritates the hell out of me when people go out on 3-3.5" of ice because they just can't wait for the ice to get think enough. In my humble opinion (yes, I get to have one, too) people are pushing it at places like Newton, Hyrum, Echo, Willard, Pineview, to just name a few.

To everyone:There are PLENTY of good places to fish without putting yourself and others in unnecessary danger (don't you think it's dangerous for the people who come to your rescue?). PLEASE, please, be patient.

As far as going on the ice at Utah Lake goes, I agree that it was dangerous to step out on it. But rest assured that all the fishing being done there is from the docks. Hook_set reported to me that the ice has deteriorated to 3/4" and it will probably melt more until the cold snap after this storm. I take my shovel to make holes in the ice. If it's easy to do so it's obviously too thin to get anywhere near it.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.