Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek - Great day for fishing, catching, not so much
A couple of us decided to try DC today since all of our local ponds have capped.

We launched our tubes at the island boat ramp and fished that bay. There were already a couple of boats on the water when we got in. We fished from 11:00 until 3:00 and only managed to pick up one rainbow, one 15" brown, and two perch.

We used fast sinking lines (#8) and size 6 & 8 bead head crystal buggers in black/green/pearl and brown/pearl. The perch were caught in 45' of water near the bottom. There were quite a few fish feeding on the surface in the afternoon but we couldn't interest them with what we had.[:/]

The water temperature was 40 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 11' - 12'. The reservoir level is at 89% full and rising. It's nice to see that much water in there for this time of year.

It was a slow day fishing but the weather was great for a late December day, 30's & 40's and no wind as long as we were there.[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pic, looks like you find those eagles no matter where you fish. I'm guessing the darker headed eagles was the young of the year and had not yet got the white plumage on it's head? How big were the perch?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]How big were the perch?[/quote]

One was 9 1/2" and the other was 12".

We saw a lot on the finder along with some larger fish mixed in with them. I did have one good fish on but never got it close enough to see what it was.

There were two adult bald eagles and one youngster.
[signature]
Wow, those are decent perch, especially the bigger one. Do you think the one you lost was a trout or another perch?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Wow, those are decent perch, especially the bigger one. Do you think the one you lost was a trout or another perch?[/quote]

I think it was a trout. It was too big to have been a perch and it fought too hard to be a walleye.
[signature]