Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with Flaming Gorge ideas
Joatmon and I are headed out on Friday to the Gorge to try for some lakers and burbot. We went to Buckboard in February last year but I'm not sure where would be a good spot this time of year. Any ideas? Anything else you can share that would help us? What lures would you take? Where can you get good solid sucker meat? What we had last year was mushy and barely stayed on the hooks. Also need any ideas how to make it through the night in a shelter.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

If you are going after the burbot fish at night around the rocky shore lines. Go further north of buck board. Try the Yamamoto glow twister tails and tip them with a whole minnow. Them burbot’s are pigs.
[signature]
It would be nice to know where the ice is at now?????? I would imagine its to the confluence...

Ace in Rocksprings has sucker meat and anything else you can imagine.

We always do a cot inside a large shelter if we stay on the ice, take lots of anchors because the wind can ruin your day if it wants to. Big warm sleeping bag and I always take a buddy heater, be carefull not to CO yourself if you do sleep. I like to take bells that will attach to the tip of the pole so if im getting action I know about it.

1/4 oz glow with curly tail glow and something that you can recharge your glow stuff for ling.
We fish for the big lakers so we like 1/2oz or bigger in 5-6" tubes. I don't know how much the color matters its more in the presentation I think but, its hard to beat white.

I havn't been icefishing in a few years up there just cause we boat fish year round if we can but it would be a nice change of pace.
[signature]
There's safe ice at the confluence
[signature]
As of yesterday, ice was down to about Currant Creek. We fished Confluence where the ice was 8-inches, catching lakers, bows and cutts. My lakers all came on spoons (3/8 oz Buckshot and CLAM Flutter spoon in perch color) tipped with sucker meat in 60+ feet of water. I marked lakers throughout the water column, but the hitters were suspended, at 30-45 ft. My bows and cutts came on smaller Buckshots in perch color and Berkley Atomic tubes in white, tipped with worm or Gulp maggots. They were caught 10-15 ft below the ice in the main channel and also in 10ft of water along shore. You should be able to find sucker meat at Sportsman's Warehouse, but they also sell it locally around the Gorge. Try keeping it partially frozen and it's much easier to handle and put on the hook.

Hope it helps and good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Thanks to everyone who has responded. You've given us a lot to work with.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

We used to take dirt road No. 11. This road is located between Buckboard and the confluence. If you have a machine, we would travel due east and drive over to the cliffs on the east side & catch a lot of fish. If you are on foot, we would make a right about half way on this road and fish the cliffs on the west side (just a good walking distance to get to the fish).

I have always done good (maybe better than the average) with Radical Glow jigs - chartreuse or white. Don’t discount chub meat, caught a lot of fish over there with a jig tipped with chub meat. Make sure your hooks are sharp.

We generally fish until midnight then head into town and stay in a motel. Wake up, have a good breakfast and then head out fishing. You are definitely tougher than I am, if your wanting to spend the night on the ice.

One thing about FG, we have fished one day and slay the fish. Go out the next day, fish the same holes and not get a bite. The fish move around. One more thing, use a stiff backed rod with braided line. For the most part, we were trying to hook a fish in 100 FOW. It is nearly impossible to get a deep hookset with the equipment your using at Strawberry - my 2 cents.
[signature]
[quote OCF]We generally fish until midnight then head into town and stay in a motel. Wake up, have a good breakfast and then head out fishing. You are definitely tougher than I am, if your wanting to spend the night on the ice.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]+1 brother. Except I would quit at 9 or 9:30 and head for town. Gots to have a beauty rest; don't cha know. [Wink][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."