Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton Reservoir Christmas eve
We went to Newton reservoir today prepared to fish through the ice or in open water as we hadn't heard any recent reports on the conditions. It turns out we could do neither. There is a a thin layer of ice over most of the reservoir with water on top of it. Areas to the north have little to no ice but still not fishable from shore. Might be a while yet until the ice is safe enough to walk on.
[signature]
Well it’s actually fishable on the ice. There is 4” of ice but it had a weird cracking going on. I fished it this morning for a few hours. But it was pretty ho hum. I got 3 small perch and a little bass. I’m not too excited about it. Sorry you didn’t get to go after all the work to get there. Later Jeff
[signature]
I stand corrected - apparently the ice is safe at Newton. When I stepped on the ice this afternoon it cracked and started to go down. I should have tried other locations along the shore to access the thicker ice.
[signature]
The water has come up a little so the edge is terrible you have to take a big step to cross the weak edge. You were probably a lot smarter than me and stayed off the iffy ice. Later J
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I haven't fished Newton in a couple of years Jeff. And for the reason you just reported - the catch isn't worth the drive up there.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I’m not the Newton expert by any means, but it is tougher for me to catch any fish with size there. I’m sure some really nail nice fish, but they know what they’re doing better than I do. For me, it’s a lot easier at other places now to catch nice sized fish. So if I was coming from down south I’d stop before Newton too. If you’re after Perch I think Mantua and Hyrum would both be better options. So I don’t blame you at all for skipping Newton. Only advantage is less People. Later Jeff
[signature]