Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Safety Best Practices
Since we've had variable temperatures and ice conditions so far this season, and some lakes/reservoirs are just capping, it is a good idea to consider best practices for ice safety. Here are some I've thought about or read about:

1) Your safety is your responsibility!

2) Better safe than sorry - if in doubt, don't go out!

3) ICE IS NEVER 100% SAFE!

4) Don't blindly believe what you read on BFT, Facebook, other forums, etc. with respect to ice thickness and safe conditions (see #1-3 above). Ice conditions can change rapidly in time and space.

5) 4-inches is generally considered the minimum safe thickness for ice fishing (see Minnesota DNR general ice thickness guidelines). https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

6) Ice thickness can vary widely. It may be okay where you start, but don't assume it is safe everywhere else on the lake. Watch for pressure ridges and other weak spots.

7) Buy and use an ice chisel/spud bar (I picked one up for under $30). Use it to check ice thickness as you go (at least every 150 feet).

8) Buy and wear a pair of ice picks (a pair will cost you less than $10). Wear them around your neck (not much good if they are in your sled, your bucket, etc.).

9) Wear a life vest, especially on early ice. Or wear one of the new flotation suits.

10) Have a length of rope (50-100') that can be used to throw to someone else. Know how to tie a bowline (rescue) knot. You can pre-tie this in the end of rope you throw to someone else. Also consider a floating seat cushion or other flotation device that you can throw to someone who may have fallen through the ice.

11) DO NOT become a second victim - maintain a safe distance so you don't also go through the ice.

12) Don't fish alone. Even if you go to the lake by yourself, introduce yourself to your near neighbors on the ice and ask them to keep an eye on you. And offer your help to them in return.

13) Have a pair of ice cleats and wear them if the ice is slick. A fall on the ice can be painful.

14) Dress warmly in layers: a set of thermal underwear, pants and shirt, warm jacket, waterproof layer (jacket and pants). Have waterproof and warm boots (Sorels, Muck boots, etc.). Wear warm socks, hat, and gloves and have a backup of each. I like to keep a pair of sweat pants and a jacket in the car in case I need something dry to go home in.

15) Hope for the best, but plan for the worst!

Here's hoping we all have a fun and safe ice season!

What best practices would you add?
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Are you serious? I do agree with one statement.Safety is my own responsibility.
[signature]
Excellen info, thanks.
[signature]
[quote fishroof]Are you serious? I do agree with one statement.Safety is my own responsibility.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Of course he's serious. And if you only agree with that one item - well, BFT rules forbid me from voicing an accurate opinion of your mentality.[/size][/#800000][/font] [crazy]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Voice away!! I have very thick skin.It will be like water off a ducks back what a ex GOVT employee or safety nazi thinks about how I should go ice fishing.You would need a snowmobile to carry all that junk.I LIKE to ice fish alone away from the power auger snowmobile crowd.I like to fish at night ALONE and know very well how to take care of myself.Free men don’t ask permission to step on the ice,remember.
[signature]
Bob, he got mad at me last year for saying the same things. Funny that it's my brother who posted it this year.

Fishroof, no one is attacking you personally. You have said that you have fished on 2" of ice for many years. Of course you have every right to do that and say it. General consensus, though, says that's way too thin. But consider two things. You may influence those with less experience to follow your lead and get them in a dangerous position; also, if you do fall through you endanger other people because you can bet they will come to help you and take a great risk of falling in too. You may also consider what effect falling through would have on your family and loved ones. You may also want to keep in mind that we only say these things because we care about the safety of other people, including you. Try not to get mad at us for having concern for you.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

What can I say its my trigger.I am waiting for the 3 paragraph instructions on driving safety to the lake.Step one carefully put the key in the ignition,2 look both ways,on and on with you liberals.You need to worry about the real danger in most of your lives and no it isn’t ISIS,it’s too much salt,poor diet and not enough excersise.I have a roofing business do you have any idea how many times I have had to go to class and told how to climb a ladder by guys who shouldn’t be near a ladder?OSHA,Utah osha,BFT,Utah bft,Democrats,liberals,it never stops.I have never even heard of a guy dieing or being injured from thin ice in Utah and I fish a lot .LOL
[signature]
Here I was at pineview on 3 inch ice yesterday in 43 ft of water ALONE.LOL That’s nothing compared to my love of fishing in my boat in lightning and heavy wind,alone.I have had a boat for 40 years and ice fished over 50 .You do your thing I will do mine.i just get upset when people question my methods of safety.I have never and will never wear a rope on a roof either.LOL
[signature]

[signature]
"... it’s too much salt,poor diet and not enough excersise."

How did you know about my health practices that I only share with my doctor and wife?[Wink]

"OSHA,Utah osha,BFT,Utah bft,Democrats,liberals,it never stops."[mad]

Really? How would you know who is liberal or conservative or whatever? We don't allow political content on here but I'll leave it for now so everyone can see what you are all about. Anger is very unhealthy. Probably raises your blood pressure more than salt does. My guess is that no one will take up the bait and give you the satisfaction of arguing with you. THIS IS NOT WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR. The deep irony is that you are spewing this vitriol on the day of our Lord's birth. I hope that today, and every day, we all can seek peace on earth and goodwill to mankind and practice the Golden Rule. Merry Christmas.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

"How to rescue yourself and others
Courtesy of the U.S. Swim School Association

The Northwest’s mountainous regions and flatlands provide us with cool places to enjoy water in the summer heat and many opportunities for ice-skating and open-air hockey [and ice] fishing during the winter months. Each year, nearly 8,000 people die from drowning after falling through ice; there is always a concern for safety regardless of whether the water is flowing or frozen. Here is a list of what to do if you or others fall through the ice.

Choose Carefully: The best strategy is prevention; never venture onto ice that’s three inches thick or less.

Keep Calm: Should you fall through, do your best to stay calm and not flail your arms, which releases valuable body heat.

Control Breathing: Due to the immediate change in body temperature and shock from the cold water, the body’s reaction is to gasp for air, which can lead to hyperventilating and increase the chances of drowning.

Do Not Undress: Keep your winter clothing on while in the water. The air inside your clothing can help you float and trap body heat.

Get Out by Staying Horizontal: Keeping your head above the water, grab onto the ice in the direction you came from. This ice should be strong enough to help you leverage your body out of the water.

Stay horizontal as best as you can to keep your weight spread out over the edges of the ice. Once you’ve gotten most of your upper body out of the water, kick your legs as strongly as possible to get the rest of your body out of the water and onto the ice.

Roll onto the Ice: Once you are on the ice, do not stand up. Instead, roll over on the ice to prevent more cracks from forming and falling in again.

Retrace Your Steps: Once you are out and a safe distance from the hole, trace your footsteps back to shore.

Throw, Don’t Go: If you have friends nearby, advise them to not enter the water or get close to the hole to help you. The safest option is for someone to throw a lifesaving device, branch, coat or rope into the water, wait until you grab hold, then tow you to safety.

Get Warm: Once out of the water, immediately seek medical attention to bring your body temperature back to normal.

This story is courtesy of the U.S. Swim School Association (USSSA) which has partnered with Safer 3 Water Safety Foundation for its official water-safety program. For more information, visit www.usswimschools.org."

'Nuff said.
[signature]

[quote catchinon]Bob, he got mad at me last year for saying the same things. Funny that it's my brother who posted it this year.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Craig, his ignorant characterization of us is very clear; calling us liberals, chastising us for poor eating habits without ever having dined with us, bragging about ignoring safety guidelines while playing AND working, and getting upset when anybody DARE disagree with him on a clear safety issue. He claims to have thick skin - and yet, he can't refrain from posting a response to any post questioning his comments. Responses to his comments don't fall "like water off a ducks back"; they penetrate deep into his psyche and cause him to lash out with a vengeance at the author of the response as we're seeing in this thread. I haven't seen anybody jumping to defend his behavior yet, but who knows - he may actually have a friend or two who think he is an okay guy.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]And as to the safety reminders posted by you and your brother - THANK YOU for posting them. Good remainders for all of us that actually do care about being safe in all our outdoor activities. Take care and tight lines to you both. I look forward to joining you again on the ice this season.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."