Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best time of year for sturgeon?
The family pooled my Christmas presents to give me a guided fishing trip in 2020. Does anyone know enough about sturgeon fishing to know what is the best time of year to book a trip in Idaho? Any recommended guides?

Happy New Year!
[signature]
May, June, and September would be best for the bite and chance of good weather. Temperature gets really hot in July and August. I don't know any guides. Check online.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I agree with what Burley said. If you are going to spend the money to hire a guide you may want to consider driving a little further and hiring a guide on the Columbia River. You have a greater chance of catching a larger sturgeon on the Columbia.
[signature]
Didn't most of the Snake river guides quit doing it?
[signature]
There are several charters that fish the Hell's Canyon area on the Snake.
[signature]
Just saw Outdoors with Adam Eakle and they had a guide that took them out on the Columbia river and they caught a 9 footer, here is the guide they used:
https://outcatching.com/
[signature]
Thanks for the input everyone!
[signature]
we go all summer but during the spawn when they run up river and build up at the bottoms of the hydro dams is the best chances, use whole trout, crappie or we even use the pike minnows we catch! 100lb braid, 12' ugly stick heavy action and hang on! team catfish circle hooks are our go to as theyre very strong just file the barb down, get a second pole license and throw brown tubes for smallies while your waiting on a sturgeon! good luck maybe well see ya up there!
[signature]
Great advice if fishing from shore (or a boat where a boat will work) below the hydro dams.
[signature]
When booking a guided trip, they will furnish all the gear that you need, in most cases. Ask them what is the best time for fishing in their area. Remember, they want you to catch fish so that you will return again. As Kent said, if you are spending money for a guide, check out guides on the Columbia River. It has a larger population and larger fish.
The spawn mentioned in a previous post usually happens in June.

A word of caution: Once you catch a large sturgeon, you will become addicted to chasing them again and again.
[signature]