Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oceanside trip on the horizon
Hey guys I going on a road trip to fish the salty water of the Pacific. Will be heading out Wednesday and will be on the salt water Friday and Saturday. My brother-in-law lives in Oceanside and will be aranging the trip for the two of us. I don't care what we catch as long as we catch fish. I'll leave it all up to him. He does this on a regualar schedule, at least a couple times a month he goes out on a charter for a half day. He picks boats that cater to small groups 6-8 at a time instead of those big boats that take out 30-40 at a time. I'll just wait to see what happens.

It will be good to get away from the white stuff for a while!
[signature]
If you're going to buy a license, you may as well fish off the beach. Just put a sinker behind a swivel, then about a foot of leader and put on a hook, and then find yourself a juicy sandcrab or a piece of squid or something and cast out. You'll get all sorts of things, stingrays, shovelnose sharks, surfperch, corbina, maybe even a flounder or something. One of the most fun times Ive ever had fishing was sitting out on the beach in Oceanside with my rod in a lawn chair...after a while, Your rod would completely bend over and you would pull in your catch, usually a stingray or corbina. Just some Ideas, does your brother-in-law live near the pier?
Anthony
[signature]
i have done my fair share of fishin in the big salty pacific drink. i have caught many sting rays from the beach and also a couple small tiger sharks and a ton of sand sharks. also have fished of many of the harbor jettis and such. caught sandy bass and calicos from the jettis as well as mackrel and smelt. caught some halibut also from the jetti. the best though is out in the old boat. yellowtail bonito, halibut, sand bass, calico, sheep head, ling cod, rock cod, sculpin, albacore etc. it is a lot of fun. salt lake is my home san diego and capistrano are heaven.

jr8fish
[signature]
I am so jealous! I want to go![Sad] What does your brother usually fish for? Man i cant wait till i go back to florida and do some fishing!
[signature]
Hey dave take some pics for us!
[signature]
Anthonygreer: He's within walking distance of the marina. I've never been to his place so we'll just wait to see what's up!
[signature]
Usually they catch Ling Cod, Rock Cod, Salmon (whenever the season is), yellow tail, flounder (once in a while), I don't remember what else they catch but usually the fill up the ice chests they take out and have a big feast that evening. Fish Tacos, BBQ fish, yum its just making me hungry thinking about it!
[signature]
The wife is already out in Oceanside and she has the digital camera so thats a given. We'll see how lucky I will be while I'm out there. Just hope the weather hold out, last week in Oceanside the weather was crappy.
[signature]
hey dude i have spent many a day fishing on the horizon out of Oceanside... make sure you get some anchovy colored 4"or 5" swim baits or a pink scampy with 3/4 oz heads and fish them just like your ice fishing the bottom... you will take jackpot every time with that setup this time of year.. some big halibut out there and sand bass as well..

from the fuzzyfisher---------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
Hey FFM, The current weather report shows rain for Tuesday and Sunny days until next weekend. Don't forget to bring some medium to medium heavy rods and tackle.

The Rock Cod season just opened up again as of today 3/1. Squid is the main ticket right now for most species. If you are staying inshore and want the good Halibuts, then I would suggest a whole squid on a driftrig. You can also use a live anchovy or sardine.

It's too bad that I'm going to miss you on this trip. I am headed out to Catalina Island. Lots of Calicoes and Sculpin out there. There is a good run on the White Sea Bass as well out there.

Have a good one and Happy Fishing.
[signature]
Yeah it is too bad. But the old brother-in-law is aranging everything and I don't even have to bring any tackle. He said he has it all covered!
[signature]
I've fished out of Helgren's from Oceanside many times. These guys are great....I wouldn't go anywhere else...

[url "http://www.helgrensportfishing.com/"]http://www.helgrensportfishing.com/[/url]
[signature]
Sounds like a sweet deal. I hope you have alot of fun and don't forget to catch a few fish.[cool]
[signature]
Oh, ling cod... I'll be fishen them in about 4 months. I can't wait! Good luck! I hope you nail them.
[signature]