Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry tips for tomorrow?
Heading to Strawberry tomorrow, planning on Chicken Creek East. Does anyone have some good tips for us? Lures, bait, depth, location, etc.?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

My first advice would be don't go. I have ice fished on New Year's Day every year (not if it fell on Sunday) for well over 20 years and I won't be going tomorrow, because of the weather forecast.

If you end up going, glow jig heads in 1/8 ounce, with glow plastics (Cut'r Bugs, tube jigs or similar) tipped with cut bait will get you into fish, if you are anywhere they are located. Tipping with meal worms or crawlers will work, but not as well as cut bait. Three of us, caught ~70 last Friday at CCE. We had our best luck in ~33' of water, on the bottom and suspended around 15' down. Jigging will get far more bites than letting it just set there.
[signature]
That was my first thought, too, Kent. Winter Storm Warning, and they are not kidding. Even to an amateur weather guy like myself, this one's punch is obvious. The only driving I'll be doing tomorrow is the snow blower.
[signature]
Fished Strawberry Sunday evening the 29th from the Snowkite Launch parking spot, just south of the Ladders. Ice was 4-6 inches. Caught 8 cuts in the 16-20 inch range in 30 ft of water using small jigs tipped with wax worms. Used a small flasher/dodger on one pole with a jig 18" below and jig only on the other. Flasher seemed to bring them in and they would hit on the rod with a jig only. Smaller the jig the better. Fish were coming in mid column and off the bottom.

Crank the heater and ride out the storm!
[signature]
Don’t go! Weather is supposed to be a beast tomorrow.

On a brighter note, I went today and we didn’t see much come through, but those that did were caught. We iced 13 in 3 hours.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Good fishing/hunting happens in snow storms.
Just don’t take me...
[signature]
This is true I caught a 26” 7+ pounder cutt at strawberry in a storm that I subsequently got lost in trying to get off the ice haha was a really good day
[signature]