Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shimano reel?
At a yard sale last summer I bought a Shimano Chromica Bantam CM-200A. Can anyone tell me anything about them? I thought I would pair it up with a baitcasting ice rod I also got. What is the heaviest line I could use with it? What would my line capacity be? I lost some big fish last year that I hooked on light line and want something tougher this year. Any information or advice would be appreciated.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

After doing some digging on the internet I found this:

Shimano Bantam Chromica CM 200A Baitcasting Reel The Chromica features Shimano's Quickfire II thumb bar which allows you to control both the spool and the clutch with your thumb alone. Some other features are: 5.1:1 gear ratio, 1 stainless steel ball bearing and 1 stainless steel roller bearing, Super Stopper anti-reverse mechanism, Friction and magnetic casting controls, Paddle knob power handle, Quickfire II clutch bar casting system, Precision aluminum spool, Graphite body construction, Model# Gear Ratio Weight oz. g) Line Capacity lbs/yards 200A 5.1:1 7.6(215) 8-140. 10-130, 12-105, 14-94.

I plan to use it where I might hook into large cutthroats, laker pups, catfish, carp, northerns, etc. What weight would you recommend?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]Love those little Bantam models. They hold plenty of line for ice fishing...and you can use even fairly thin mono or braid without getting it behind the spool like on some baitcasters.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I always fished 8-10# mono (Silver Thread Excalibur) with a lighter leader when needed. However, I seldom fished more than about 30' deep and usually for small to mid-sized fish. But if you are going to use it in deeper water for larger fish, you should use braid (20#?) for maximum sensitivity and no-stretch qualities. Then finish off with a good fluoro leader of adequate strength.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pretty popular reel for steelhead fishing, as Pat said load with 20lb braid (believe it’s 4lb dia) and then put a 10-20’ top shot of mono or fluorocarbon
[signature]
So I put 140 yards of 20# Suffix on and bought some 12# Stren Fluorocast to use for leaders. What would be the best knot to join the two? Keeping in mind that I will have it on a 28" rod, how long should my leaders be?
[signature]

I use the reverse Albright/ worm knot to join braid to mono and have had good luck with it, there are others out there also google braid to mono knots. My only suggestion on the top shot length is to have enough so that if you have to retie a lure do to an abrasion you don’t need to redo the braid mono knot, they are difficult with cold hands and wet line.
[signature]
http:// http://knots3d.com/knots/en_us/73/yucatan-knot

Make your tag ends of each line long when you tie it so that you can pull on them to get the line to lay down
[signature]
[#0000FF]Most anglers recommend something like the double uni knot. It is good but there are others...as you have been advised.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Length of leader is very subjective. At depth...under ice...line visibility is not that much of a factor. Two to three feet of fluoro can be plenty. The fine diameter braid tied directly to your lure will even work much of the time.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I use Nanofil clear mist a lot. I have experimented and find that I still get a lot of action even without a leader. But I still like to use a leader. However, I usually tie a small (#10) barrel swivel to the end of the Nanofil and then the leader on the end of that. I use a good improved clinch knot to tie the Nanofil to the swivel...and I run the line through the loop twice before finishing the knot. Never had it fail.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]