Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 12/31
Finally got out for the 1st time on the ice this season. Hit Echo early and was welcomed by 10 degrees with a slight breeze. Went to a spot that has usually produced something over the years, especially trout. Drilled 3 holes, one for the Vex, and two on either side for the poles. I never drilled another hole. There was some activity on the bottom and I thought probably perch. I was right. Turned out to be a great morning. Ended up bringing home 40 perch and one 17 in rainbow. Threw a bunch of smaller perch back. The best part of the morning was the occasional jumbo perch. I caught 6 over 12" and one that went 13". Easily the largest perch I have ever caught. Just was in the right place.

JArner and his son joined me for a bit and they both caught a couple of jumbos as well before the cold got the best of them. Wish you could have stayed longer.
[signature]
Nice footers!!
Very jealous.
[signature]
Nice write up, wish we could have stayed longer as well. Need to get the kids warmer gear for weather like that.
[signature]
I was out there today in just barely shy of 50' and caught perch enough for a dinner and boy they were delicious.
[signature]
Those perch look really tasty. Did you make your own batter or was it purchased? It looks really crispy! I keep looking for the perfect perch batter.
[signature]
I make my own 6 fluid ounces of flour 6 fluid ounces of cornstarch 1 egg about a teaspoon of baking powder and add beer and wisk until the batter starts to become runny or pourable usually 8 ounces or so. Then salt and choice of seasonings I like cayenne, pepper, and garlic. I usually heat my peanut oil to at least 350 sometimes more but never less.
[signature]
When you say fluid ounces of flour and cornstarch, do you mean fill a measuring cup for liquids to the six-ounce mark? Most of us would list and use a dry measure like "one cup".

BTW, for the spices, use a tablespoon of Old Bay.
[signature]
I used self-rising flour or pastry flour. Add seasonings that you like. Add beer until you get the consistency of pancake batter. Deep fry in peanut oil and wow. I have had kids come to my house and ask what ya cooking, and I said fish. They say I hate fish and then I said, try this. Then they tell me that is not fish. Lol
Gabe
[signature]
Nice work JF. Good way to kick off your season
[signature]
Thanks. Looks like you have hit quite a few places already and posted quite a few fish on the contest board. Nice!
[signature]
Yep I enjoy getting on the ice. Helps that I have more free time in the winter. Got some fish on the board, but no whoppers yet. Say hi if we cross paths. Good luck to you
[signature]