Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Addiction Tournament
I registered for the Ice Addiction Tournament on January 25th. At Starvation and thought I would see if anyone wanted to car pool to the tournament, I live in Roy and have room for 3 passengers. Who else is planning on fishing this tournament and who has fished in the past? How was your experience?
[signature]
I have fished in it several times. In my opinion it is by far the best ran tournament there is...by a long shot. These guys put on a show that is unmatched. With that being said, it’s a style of derby that is quite different. Pre drilled holes in a grid, no tents allowed, short duration, etc. Some hate it, some love it. I really like it. All their rules are to reduce cheating and level the field. Not a lot of fish are caught, but if you do get one, you’ll likely place. Their last place prize (30th) is worth more than most local derby’s first place prize. Some say this style is dumb luck. My opinion is you better be on top of your game. You may only get one chance to entice a bite, hook and land one, but it could be worth $10,000. I had a fish 2/10 oz out of first place last year and my boy took 10th and won $500. My son and I are going to Colorado to fish in 2 of these, we will also be at starvation. I have caught at least one fish in every ice addiction tourney I’ve fished in- so my opinion may be jaded and subject to change if I get blanked this yearSmile. Good luck.
[signature]
Bump, I just wanted to move this to the top again to see if anyone wants to ride with me next Saturday.
[signature]
How much does it cost to enter? What are the starting and ending times?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ice-addicti...9743981395 Here is a link to the web site it’s $45 to enter pays $10000 for the single largest fish and pays out to 30th place fishing is from 8am to 12pm on a predrilled closed course where anglers get to select there holes based on when they registered starting at 5am.
[signature]
My boy and I just got back from Boyd lake. It was incredible as usual. This one was in a metro Denver area, and they sold out. There was a lot of people there. We prefished on Friday and got a pattern figured out. It was my first time fishing with live minnows, so that was a learning curve. The people we met were super nice and willing to help any way they could. I ended up catching 13 fish during the tournament and placed 16th. Got a really nice pair of binoculars. It was fun to pack and fly to go ice fishing. I had never done that. Makes me realize I take way too much stuff.
[signature]
Curious how the promoters make a profit, or even break even, with over $25,000 in cash and prizes? At $45, per participant, that would be 556 participants just to cover the cash and prizes, let alone all of their other expenses. How many participants do they draw at Starvation?
[signature]
I agree Kent. We are fortunate they come to Utah. It’s a big time deal. I believe the title sponsor paid the grand prize of $10,000 at all 4 locations. I also believe that they have most of their prize list sponsored. They run a guide/outfitters business, so part of it is name recognition and advertising. If I was to get a guide in Colorado, I would use them based on how well these tournaments are organized. I really hope they get enough Utah support to keep coming back. It’s way easier to get to Starvation than go to Denver for me.
[signature]
Organizer said they expect 600-800 at Starvation. Parking and getting in at the one and only gate(pay to park or pass) could be a nightmare. Gate opens at 4:00 am.
First group(A) of 100 go out at 5:00-5:15...will be sitting for 3 hours until tournament starts at 8:00.
Every 15 minutes another 100 fisherman are released to pick their hole.
Can use only one pole at a time.
Can move from your original hole to other open holes ( 20% more holes will be drilled according to number of entrants).
Can use electronics.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Curious how far apart that they drill the holes.
[signature]
15’
[signature]
I would imagine that those who have holes on the outside have a substantial advantage.
[signature]
At starvation they have been 23’. Yesterday at Boyd, they were in a tight bay and the course was condensed quite a bit and were around 14’ apart. The perimeter holes are only an advantage if your at the depth the fish are in. Otherwise an interior hole at the correct depth might be better. Yesterday there were perimeter holes in 6” of water.
[signature]
Yep 6" might be just a tad too shallow.
[signature]
They told me that it is about 50-50 where the winning fish come from. Inside in middle to outside. She did say it is pretty much luck when you get a fish. Some winners have had no knowledge what they were doing, just out for the fun of it. A couple of winners rented poles from them. I think she said only 25 fish were caught last year at Starvation.
The outside holes are all gone with the first two groups out(200 fisherman).
Try it once to see what goes.
[signature]
Many moons ago, I fished a tournament in Idaho. I don't have a desire to fish another one.
[signature]
ive fished it once at deer creek and last year at starvy ill be going back this weekend good luck! its tough and 100% luck, i fished the day before and iced about 15 bows, then the day of not 1 fish! just luck, and it wasnt on my side, ill be tryinjg for about 50 fow this time in hopes of at least a couple perch. i fished 24 fow last year and didnt even have a bit. i didnt see a point in moving holes. its cold and the wait to get on the ice takes for ever with lines and getting there early, i have a bad back and cant pull my sled well so ill be there about 4am to get a good parking spot then go back to sleep in the truck!
[signature]
What group are you in?
[signature]
I thought I read only 400 people max at Starvation?
[signature]
No. 400 is the minimum for them to run the tournament
[signature]