Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican Bay UL
Went to Pelican Bay this morning. The lake looked capped, ice as far as you can see. In the harbor there is about 2" of ice. Saw several fishermen standing on the ice fishing. Nervously venture out on 2" of ice, seem to hold my 200 lbs. Caught some white bass, seen a several perch caught, and lots of 3 inch white bass.
[signature]
Be careful how close you get to that intake grate.
I helped on it’s design and that structure holds a lot of heat and takes a while to chill down.
But, If you could see what is behind/under the grate you would know why it holds so many fish!
[signature]
[quote MrShane]

But, If you could see what is behind/under the grate you would know why it holds so many fish!

[/quote]

Inquiring minds want to know what is "...behind/under the grate...".
[signature]
This is the intake structure that feeds water to the pump station about 50 yards up the bank.
On average, depending on lake levels of course, is about a 10’ deep concrete box ‘vault’ as you can see in the picture.
What you can’t see in the pic are two massive stainless steel pre-filters that are in the vault.
The two pre-filters are connected to the pump station via a 42” pipe.
The filters have 6mm holes in them so big fish are not able to enter the 42” pipe, only fish fry and insects can get inside the filter.
The grate openings are spaced far enough apart that any adult panfish can take refuge away from any predators behind the grate while at the same time enjoying water temps a few degrees above the open water temps.
The water in and around the 42” pipe never freezes and spreads heat in to the water from the ground.
The grate was not designed for the fish obviously, but is a side benefit for panfish/baitfish.
On a side note, the design criteria specifically stated we had to use small rip rap to protect the earth we exposed during construction.
Want to know why?
We were not allowed to ‘create’ any habitat that a predator fish could use to ambush any Junies.
Anyone who knows me knows I don’t make this stuff up and that I speak the truth.
[signature]
Interesting. Thanks for filling in the details.
[signature]
Thanks for the warning, I will keep that in mind
[signature]
No problem, you are very welcome.
I should have added there is no underwater current during the winter.
It is only used for pumping irrigation water April 10-Oct 15.
[signature]