Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Parking Info

This is from the Mantua Police Dept. It circulating on face book today

Here is the link on facebook. I also copied the verbiage below

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...9332974405

PARKING PROBLEMS, SOUTH SIDE OF THE RESERVOIR.

With the influx of ice fisherman, the recent construction on Dike Road and the last few holidays, a problem has come up with the parking around the reservoir. Hopefully we can get the word out and not write another citation this winter!

There has been an issue on the south side of the reservoir with fisherman parking ON the roadway. Due to the construction this last summer, the signage is a little confusing. However, parking on a roadway has never been permitted. Dike Road is a two lane street and needs to be traveled in both directions, due to snow banks and a soft shoulder, fisherman have been parking in the westbound lane of travel, blocking travel out of that area and causing a hazard to oncoming vehicles.

We have met with Brigham City (Who actually owns and maintains the roadway) and discussed the problem. In the diagram below, a yellow circle indicates a newly proposed parking lot that will hopefully be constructed next year.

A newly constructed parking lot is located just south of the beach area and west of our problem area. This is a great option to utilize should you like to access the south side of the reservoir. There are also additional parking near the bathrooms on the far east end of Dike Road and a smaller parking lot which is shown in the picture.

Parking on Dike Road is prohibited and, due to the tall snowbanks, parking on the shoulder is not currently feasible.

If you are having trouble with this, PLEASE reach out to us and we can show you the best place to park. We work hard to facilitate an enjoyable time to those who visit our little town, however we need to maintain access and egress along our roadways.
[signature]
Folks who don’t believe in Facebook see attached for photo that was posted on Facebook for parking.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]That fb post by the Mantua Police is BOVINE EXCREMENT OF THE HIGHEST ODOR. I've been ice fishing up there for at least a dozen years now and until this year have ALWAYS parked on that south dike road with nary a problem envisioned or created. A couple years ago somebody (Brigham City?) built some steps into the dike to make it easier to pull a sled up the dike when exiting the ice along that south dike road. The NO PARKING BETWEEN ARROWS signs were installed about that same time. Folks, for the most part, obeyed those signs and didn't park near those steps. Everybody was happy.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Now, there is a new police officer in Mantua and apparently he and/or the village governing board have decided that with the HEAVY TRAFFIC traveling east and west all day long on that south dike road that there is reason for concern with congestion and possible vehicle pileups because some neanderthal DARED park on that road.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Whoever decided that there is now a major traffic situation along that road has their head shoved so far up into a dark place they may never see daylight again. Once again, we have a prime example of the inmates running the asylum. [crazy][/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Come on Bob, don't hold back, tell us what you really think![Wink]
[signature]
Bob, I badly want to go fishing with you someday. I expect I will not be disappointed in doing so, even if this fishing stinks. Wish I would have caught up to you at Echo
[signature]
Bob, you are correct in most of your statement but I believe last year that South dike road was closed because of the construction, where they were running that new pipeline. When I went in to talk to someone at Mantua city hall, the lady I talked to said the they had finally got Brigham city to outlaw anyone parking on the South dike. From what she said, it sounded like Mantua city was trying to push for the dike to be closed and Brigham finally agreed to the closure. Of course I'm sure Mantua would deny that now but IMO the city of Mantua was looking for a way to generate more money, now the the original Barney is gone. I also found out from someone that talked to the new Mantua police officer that he( the cop) was told that he wasn't writing enough ticket and he needed to increase the number of tickets he was issuing.
I went up to Mantua today to meet with the KSL Investigates team and while they were interviewing me at the location where I received my ticket a guy came walking off the ice and he saw that he had received a ticket for parking in the exact location where I had parked. The team went right over and interviewed him and he wasn't happy either, especially after I told him how much the city was charging for these tickets. He left and while the team continue their inview with me another guy pulled up and parked in the exact same location that the last guy just moved from. As he walked up to us pulling his shed, I told him if he parked there he would likely receive a ticket and that the last guy did and me as well. He said, just like the last guy did, that the sign made no sense, I agreed and told him that was why the KSL team was there. He said he was a resident in Mantua and he had never heard of such a rule/law and wanted to know when the come up with it. I told him Christmas eve. The reason I know is because a member on BFT told me he parked there the day before I did, he even talked to the cop and ask him about the sign. The cop told him it was OK on that day but the next day(Christmas eve) they were going to start issuing tickets. I got some more info from the KSL team about how much money the city of Mantua makes from all these tickets but I'll write about that at a different time, when I get some more info.
[signature]
The number of tickets Barney writes are 3 times the number of residents of the town. It's extortion, and the man himself is a joke. I haven't been there for three years, it sure would be great if everyone just stopped going for a while and dropped their town revenue by $100k to teach them a lesson.
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Curt, you are, of course, correct about the closure during construction. My bad. But prior to, and immediately after, the road was open to parking outside the arrow signs.

If you were the person that contacted the KSL Investigates team, a very big THANK YOU! It will be very interesting to see what their investigation turns up. This is NOT a traffic issue as Mantua would like us to believe; it is a revenue generation issue and they are smiling all the way to the bank.

If you get a heads up on when this story will be broadcast Curt, please let us know so we can watch it.[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks for doing that Curt. I sent Cindy 2 more people who would also like to talk to her about it. People on Facebook started calling Mantua out on their BS last night and it looks like most of our comments have been erased this morning. I can’t wait to see the story air!
[signature]
innocent by stander here. Don't want to get into a fight with anyone, just curious. Other than the tickets, how does Mantua benefit from the fishing activity ? Is there even some place there to spend money if you wanted to ? Aside from fines, how could Mantua lose 100K if everyone stopped going there ?
[signature]
I was just following the FB post on this. A few minutes ago, there were 40 comments and 17 shares. I refreshed the page and now there are only 17 comments and 16 shares. Comments are being deleted at their discretion. Why don't they believe in freedom of speech?
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
There is one small store a couple of blocks from the lake. I'd hate to see it suffer if the lake gets boycotted, but maybe that would bring some pressure to bear. Or maybe we could talk them into not giving the cop any free coffee and doughnuts [Wink].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote BURLEY]I was just following the FB post on this. A few minutes ago, there were 40 comments and 17 shares. I refreshed the page and now there are only 17 comments and 16 shares. Comments are being deleted at their discretion. Why don't they believe in freedom of speech?[/quote]

They have completely turned off the comments and deleted anyone who had a “negative” comment. I didn’t think my post was negative or rude at all. Just simply asking a question as to why they didn’t make the post before ice season. Pretty Sad to see a government agency, paid by the tax payers, filtering public comments.
[signature]
Another good reason I stay away from FB as much as possible.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote catchinon]There is one small store a couple of blocks from the lake. I'd hate to see it suffer if the lake gets boycotted, but maybe that would bring some pressure to bear.[/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Funny (to me) that you mentioned that. I was talking with a Mantua resident that I know a couple days ago and we were discussing that store. He was born and raised there and is in his 40's. He indicated that the current store owner isn't well thought of by the folks that live there. It seems the owner has crossed swords many times with the local government over his business since buying it a couple years ago. My friend didn't go into a lot of details, but one of the things he mentioned was that the store owner didn't follow the legal process of getting city approval and required permits to install gas pumps. Not sure how he got around that delima, but he ticked off many of the Mantua townsfolk over it. But we digress from the intent of this thread.

The reports now surfacing about the fb debacle are just one more indication that this is nothing more than a cash cow attempt by the town of Mantua. I sincerely hope that KSL Investigates will expose it for what it really is; BOVINE EXCREMENT OF THE HIGHEST ODOR.[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Ah, small business in a small town--good luck. What the guy really should do is convert his campground into a parking lot and bulldoze a road to the lake.
[signature]

What's wrong with that parking lot below the boat ramp? Do they not plow it during the winter?
[signature]
There is nothing wrong with that parking lot below the boat ramp, as long as no more that a dozen people are parking there but the bigger issue is how far you have walk from there to get over to one of my favorite spots by the knoll. It's at least a mile hike. From the South dike, it is a few hundred yards and until this year, almost unlimited parking.
[signature]
It does feel like kind of a complicated issue in that it's a small town with a lot of non-resident traffic. They should be able to capitalize on the situation at least enough to make up the extra traffic their lake brings, and really they should be able to profit. The fact that the lake is run by Brigham City but the town has to manage the recreational use is probably a major factor. What does make the problem BS though is the amount of money they make from tickets, they write a total of tickets that is over 3X the population of the town and the revenue is over $200,000 a year from those tickets.

One thing about this particular sign issue is that if you all recall they have done the same thing before at least once in the last few years with the confusing signs, this is not a new ploy from the township of Mantua.

Why not just build a little marina/restaurant combo over there to the east along with some more parking and make money legitimately? Running the small-town extortion game so aggressively just seems like a good way to bankrupt your town when the state finally shuts the game down.
[signature]
That'll not happen until one of our state legislators get a ticket, aka the prior speed trap on the highway. Any on the ice fish???

Oh, well, I'm geting more exercise walking ac=ross the lake. Really, only a few minutes more.
[signature]