Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side by Side through the ice at the Gorge
Got to check and never assume

https://www.sweetwaternow.com/side-by-si...esnt-sink/
[signature]
I tried to find a published source that said how many inches is safe for a side-by-side, but couldn't find one. But it is somewhere between an ATV and a small car. For reference here are the generally accepted figures:

3" Stay off
4" Fishing and skating
5"-6" ATVs and snowmobiles
8"-12" Cars and small trucks
12"-15" Medium trucks
50"-60" Star Wars AT-AT (Walker)
>100" Godzilla

Hope this helps someone.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I heard that the guy was looking for water to test the new hybrid SxS/boat. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen one of those out on the Gorge.
Even knowing it floats, would still be nervy when it broke through.
I read the same thing 6x7 said this am that he was out testing it
[signature]
SxS floater. I got to do some internet research and check that out.

But I agree, I could drive an Argo off dry land into water but to take somthing out with intent to bust through - not sure I could do that without losing my bisquick
[signature]
I saw them online last year. If I remember right, they are heavy as hell. Couldn't imagine that thing in a slush pocket. I’ll stick with my Snowdog.
[fishon] Last year at the Burbot Bash we were driving around some parts of Buckboard with our side by side and the ice was okay. Then we headed south - we quickly realized we were the only ones out so far - Ice was 4 put you could feel those soft spots as the gray ice would flex under the tires. That was our Cue to turn around. Probably not such a good idea. [pirate]
[signature]