Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATVing and monster perch at Echo
That 13” perch makes me feel all tingly and stuff!
I’m going to RP in the morning, maybe I should change plans...
[signature]
Nice! Glad to see another great perch from Echo. Also a great bow. I would try it again this weekend but I have a CWMU cow elk hunt.
What lake was this?
[signature]
Congrats on the toad and a good day on the ice
[signature]
Nice job at Echo. Restored my faith in humanity and Echo.
[signature]
Hope you do good at RP Shane, I'm curious how the ice is doing there, do you plan on taking your ATV?
[signature]
Thanks, it was a pleasant surprise for us as well, just wish we had kept that ten incher[crazy]. Good luck on your CWMU cow elk hunt, what unit did you draw?
[signature]
[quote fishroof]What lake was this?[/quote]
LOL, just look at the title of my post,"monster perch at Echo"[Wink].
[signature]
Thanks, the only thing that would have been better was if we had caught more of those toads.
[signature]
Thanks, after hearing other reports about big perch like that big one, we were hoping they were true, I can now confirm all reports were true.[Smile]
[signature]
No atv, I kept it simple and just walked out.
I have my quad loaded up with elk hunting gear, ready to go for the next big snowstorm. I still have a mitigation cow tag I’m trying to fill and if it doesn’t drop a bunch of snow soon I’m going to have to buy beef this year.
Ice was right at 5”, but on my way home looking down from the highway it sure looks sketchy.
Two other ice-fellers beat me to the #1 parking spot and they took a quad out and safely left the ice at noon.
I left at 12:30 and the edge ice on the ramp was just starting to get soft but still made a dry exit.
Eleven perch and one rainbow ( very healthy) that busted me off at the hole and took my favorite Swedish Pimple with him.
Perch were healthy but biggest was 8”.
I’m going somewhere else next, my heart can’t handle reading your’s and DuBob’s reports...
[signature]
Grass Valley/Clark Canyon. Part of the unit is just east of Echo, comes right down next to the road. It is a pretty big unit, swinging in a big arc to the south all the way up to east of Rockport. Thanks, I'm hoping for a good hunt.
[signature]
Instead of expending energy in drilling holes to check depth, try putting a bit of water on the ice and shooting through it. Most of the time the ice does not have air bubbles in it that will block the signal and you can check depths just putting your transducer right on the ice. A little water helps to "smooth" the surface so you get a good contact. If there is milky ice or lots of air in it this will not work, but usually it freezes pretty clear so you can shoot right through. Give it a try, save time and energy !!

PS: Good job at Echo !!
Echo is where its at
[signature]
OH, Man! Looks like it!
[signature]
"Ice was right at 5”, but on my way home looking down from the highway it sure looks sketchy.

Two other ice-fellers beat me to the #1 parking spot and they took a quad out and safely left the ice at noon."

Two guys and an ATV on 5" of ice? Ice that gets soft in spots by noon? Yeeesh.

Better luck next perch trip! Hope you find a bucket of 12"-ers.
[signature]
Got up there around 10am yesterday 1/8. The bite was super slow, but seeing ATV tracks in the area I fished made me think you had been through there.

I managed one decent rainbow through the ice, one other up to the hole. I kept one perch, no monsters on this trip.
[signature]
What lake?
[signature]
I think the only reason we caught some bigger perch was that we got far away from the crowds or where a lot of others have been fishing. We were about a mile from the ramp. Glad you caught some fish, too bad no big ones came out to play. How deep of water were you fishing in at RP?
[signature]
That's a good unit, you should have no problem getting an elk there, as a matter of fact we saw elk right below the dam, when we were leaving on Tues.
[signature]