Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum hooky
Had a great day on the ice and hooking up with Craig again was a good start and meeting all the new to me members made it better. Enjoyed the company and the discussions, great guys to spend a day with and we did catch some fish to boot. I took a limit home to stock up on some of those great fillets. Gold tungsten jig and a pice of crawler or perch eye was what worked for me for pretty much nonstop action all day. Looking forward to fishing with these guys again, thanks for a day to remember [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Big Earl and I were late to the party as I had an 8 AM Dr appointment. We launched my snowmobile at the boat ramp and drove to the swim beach area and found Craig, Allan, and Shawn and they were catching some fish. We made introductions all around and talked for a few minutes. Then I decided to head further out to where I had a phenomenal day last week.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Big Earl and I drilled our holes in 35 FOW, turned on the Vex, saw 4 fish in the bottom 6 feet of water, and it was fish on for both of us on the drop. I had 6 fish on the ice in less than 10 minutes with 2 over 8". I called Craig and gave him the intel and suggested they might want to consider joining us. [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]About 15 minutes later they arrived and drilled some holes and almost immediately were voicing 'FISH ON!' It was non-stop action all day long until Big Earl and I left around 2:30PM. I know Shawn didn't keep any fish, I kept 10 (8 1/4" to 9 1/2"), and Big Earl & Allan kept a full limit. Craig had a big pile on the ice as well. I'm sure that all would agree we iced well over 200 perch between the 5 of us.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]It really didn't matter what lure you had on or what bait morsal you tipped it with. We were all using different combinations and everything tried were catching fish. They were hitting at all depths from the 35 foot bottom all they way up to 5 feet under the ice. I caught several on a tube jig tipped with power bait. Folks, it just doesn't get any better then yesterday. [Wink][/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Life is good and retirement is better. Y'all take care now and tight lines to all. It was a pleasure to meet both Allan and Shawn and put faces to the user names. I hope we can meet up again on the ice or on the soft deck.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]PS: When I got home, I found that my brand new Bubba Cordless Electric filet set had been delivered that day. So I used it to prepare my 10 perch for the deep fat fryer. I have used about 6 or 7 electric fillet knives over the years for cleaning fish. Nothing I've used thus far comes close to this Bubba knife. It is very pricey at $160 MSRP, but if you can afford it, it will become your favorite knife as well. It is everything I was hoping for (form, fit, & function) and more. The only thing left to determine is dependability and longevity. Only time and use will tell on those.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."