Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otter Creek
Thanks for the report, how far did you have to walk out from shore to get into 10 FOW?
[signature]
Get any large trout?
[signature]
50 or 75 yards.
[signature]
Little over 3 lbs was the largest.
[signature]
I'm heading up there this weekend with the kids. Were you fishing on the west side from the dirt road access? Towards the south or north end?
Appreciate any pointers - Thanks!
[signature]
Welcome to BFT.... hopefully they can get you some tips to make your trip a little more productive... Good luck... Jeff
[signature]
West side of lake. About half way up the lake. I don't remember the road # but I think it was the one just north of fishermans Beach. There is a sign indicating which road fisherman's beach is.
Fish wanted it dead stick that day but most of the time I activly jig at otter and do better than dead stick. They seem to like a small jigging action there. I would guess it to be about 1/2" action.
Hope this helps. Let us know.
[signature]
Thanks for the tips Pacmen!
We were there on the 21st. Snowed overnight and that morning and everything was covered with 2" of wet snow. Temps were around 32-33 F. Fished the west side access and finally settled on road 75. Tried two other roads but the ice was soft at the edge or there was a pressure ridge at the other roads. Once we got past the edge, the ice was 9 - 10" measured and clear. Fishing was not so hot. Weak nibbles and small fish. Kept catching the 9"planters but nothing bigger. Tried tipping with corn, crawlers, meal and wax worms, salmon eggs, power bait, and shrimp. Used paddle bugs, tubes, gitzits, curly tails, mariboos, and a bunch of other things. Used green, white, pink and glow. Fish would be interested on something new when first dropped and give small bites. You had to be quick. After that, no interest. We tried fishing in 7', 12', 15' and 20 FOW. We had fun but were hoping for a little bigger fish like the times we have shore fished there before.
Tight lines,
Robster
[signature]
Edges at Otter are most times a bit iffy. I think this is due to them adding water to come to full pool. They seem to do this slowly which keeps the edges icing at night and then purty thin in the mornings to thaw daytime.
Looks like you gave them plenty of choices.
Did you move up or down the lake? Sometimes this works for me if all I am gitting is the smaller fish. I have not checked the planting report but have heard they planted a whole pile of fish this fall.
Next time you might try to go smaller. By smaller I mean as small as you have got in the box.
My experience at Otter is that it is rare that the fish are very agressive biters. Quite often I hook set due to the line moved sideways in the hole.
[signature]
I had my 6 and 8 year olds with me so it was like herdin' cats. We did manage to move down the lake a couple hundred yards and vary the depth, but that was it. We spent the previous two days with the crowds at Fish Lake so we only had the one day at Otter Creek. If I'd had another day I would have moved down the lake more . State Park guy told me they planted 165,000 in November. Maybe the bigger trout are still munchin' on those?
Smallest I went was #10 Ratfinkees in different colors.
Seems like the water level was higher. Maybe more area to forage keeps them less interested in bait?
Eh, one of those days. Hope to hit it again over President's Day weekend next month.
Appreciate all your tips.
Rob
[signature]