Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Mild, Not Medium, but Spicy Hot at Hyrum, 1-15
I was able to talk my wife into going out with me and we took our 8 yo daughter. We didn't get there until around 10, maybe with lines in by 10:30. We were in 34 fow, and frequently marked fish, but the bite wasn't amazing. I suspect I'd have caught more alone, but the company was well worth it. We caught enough to keep it interesting, and not so many we got bored.
I fished a Hali jigging spoon and my wife and daughter each used tungsten jigs. Both worked about equally tipped with night crawler or a perch eye.
We were there until my daughter stepped in a hole and soaked her boots. It didn't last long after that.
The tent got its second use today, and it was just the ticket to get my wife out there. She hasn't had a license for years. Altogether, we probably landed 25-30 between us, and took 16 home for dinner.
It was a beautiful day, with fantastic weather, good company and fast fishing.
I did pull one up that was coughing up its lunch. I was a little surprised to see the size of perchlet it had eaten. None of them appeared to have any significant stomach content on the fillet board.
Speaking of fillets, I saved the eggs to feed to chickens, and had as much egg as meat. Lots of eggs in those perch.
[signature]
These are the reports that I was hoping to see this week. I have a friend taking his son and daughter out on Sat. His daughter and mine are friends, so maybe, just maybe I can get her to come out with my son and I. I'm always trying to include here, but she doesn't have the outdoor bug like we do. For that matter, I'd like to get my wife out too, but she has it that in her head, no amount of clothing will ever keep her warm on the ice. I keep trying though.

Thanks for the report. Out of curiosity, is the bite still off the swim beach or is it more or less lake-wide.

B/t/w, great idea on feeding the eggs to the chickens. I'll have to mention that to my brother.
[signature]
I can't speak for lake-wide conditions, I haven't moved away from swim beach as it has not been necessary to get into fish.

Yesterday was my wife's first time ice-fishing, and inside the tent (without a heater), she commented that it was not at all unpleasant. She too was afraid it would be miserable in the cold, but said she had enjoyed it. I'm sure that was helped by having very little wind and sun shining on the tent. Next time I may bring a heater to make it even better.
[signature]
Yep! it's been amazing for 2 weeks now. Been absolutely slaying the perch, and for Hyrum standards, they are noticeably bigger this year finally. I also landed a really nice and super fat 16" 'bow! Be back out tomorrow...and Saturday....FISH ON!
[signature]
Glad you also had a good day, and experience there with your family...still trying to get my wife to come out with me...Was that you - carrying your tent on your back heading back out, as us 2 old codgers slooowly dragged our sleds in front of you, and then you passed us up without even stopping to see if we were having a heart attack?!! [pirate]..Just kidding, if that was you, it was good to see you out there, and see some nice fish in your bucket...Guluk...
[signature]
Thanks for the report and good to see it’s still going strong, I’ll be going out tomorrow am also, time to try out the new ice shelter with the storm that’s coming in
[signature]
Yeah, I don't know about the last 2 years there, but 4 and 5 years ago we were getting a bunch of 7 to 8 inchers, so I hadn't gone back 'til this season again...8.5 to 9.5" is fine for me.....it'd be nice if this boom cycle lasts another year, as maybe we'd see a 10 or 11 incher out of this batch....just hoping...Guluk...
[signature]
Cross your fingers for sustained high enough water that those perch pull off a good spawn, next year should be amazing!
[signature]
That was me leaving right behind you. As far as a heart attack, I wasn't sure I was in the clear on that one. [laugh]

Once we made it to the parking lot I looked to see if you were close enough to offer help getting up the hill with your gear, but it looked like you were just stopping to rest before the climb and I had a very cold, wet, grumpy daughter who was very anxious to get home so I had to leave.

Next time I guess....
[signature]
Appreciate your thinking of us..[Smile]..we were fine, just have to take more breaks these days, especially on fresh snow like that....this Sat. the crowds will be fighting another several inches of fresh snow, so I'll wait 'til next week to try to hit it again....maybe they'll pack it down for me...Sorry to hear about your daughter stepping in someone's old hole....where I was at, someone had drilled 6, 8" holes close together, and I was accidentally finding them also....unnerving for me, so I understand how scary it can be for a child to step in, and especially if it's somebody's old 10" hole....especially in warmer weather like we've had, and fresh snow that covers them...I've always thought it a waste to have to discard all those perch eggs...glad you found a use....IF ANYONE else has found a use for them, let us know....or we can really fatten up Garrdvark's chickens! Guluk...
[signature]
Personally I hope we have a poor spawn. But we will have enough water. Perch in Hyrum biggest adversary is themselves. I am certainly glad that many are being taken to eat and those eggs don't get a chance to hatch. Way too many perch and bass in Hyrum. I fish it 3 times a week in the summer and there are schools of 1000's upon 1000's of both. The crash will come if they cant be controlled better. I was there for the hey days of the 80's when they first started and there were only really 2 boats specifically fishing for them-there used to schools of big minnows everywhere. It took just over a year to wipe them out- then the crash- then the rotenone. I am excited that there are so many fishing and catching them - really only one of a couple of options to keep it good but Sadly a good spawn this spring isn't one of them
[signature]