Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake
Congrats on doing well. I need to get back down there and try to redeem myself for my last skunk trip.
[signature]
Very well done.
[signature]
How much ice did you have?
[signature]
One source told me that there were 3" at Utah Lake State Park. If you look on the webcam there you can see that someone has walked on the ice between the docks. Pelican harbor was reported as 5" a few days ago.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I drove down to LB for a few minutes yesterday to check ice conditions and see if there were any fishermen at the springs. Most of the lake is still open. The only ice I observed was in the harbor (launch ramp).
There were 10 anglers fishing the harbor. Although I only stayed a few minutes I saw several fish being caught.
I don't know what that means except there was safe ice there and fish underneath the ice that were catchable.
Advantages of fishing Lincoln Beach
1. it's close, depending on where you live.
2. No fees to get in and fish, launch boat, etc
3. Shallow. If you go through the ice in the harbor you're only going to get wet up to your waist.
4. free parking
5. Sometimes the fishing for white bass, crappie, perch and blue gill can be incredible.

I'm not a big ice fishing fan, but I might go down and give it a try.
[signature]
Excellent report, Steve, as always. I live in Spanish Fork, too, and need to get over there now that it's fishable. Did you get any indication of how many inches the ice is? Was anyone fishing the harbor itself or just the channel?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Good Morning,
It was only in the launch channel. There didn't appear to be safe ice anywhere else on this end of the lake.
If I was guessing, which I am, I would say the ice was 4 to 5 inches thick. In the launch area, the water depth is less than 5 feet at the best of times. No danger of drowning here, unless you are very short and no one else is around.
A good place to catch fish and take the kids.

1 downside; the toilets in the park are closed during the winter and no port-a-potties available. I have whined to the county Commissioners and the Utah Lake Commission about this, but my words fell on deaf ears. I believe this is the case at Provo State Park as well. The claim is that the indoor toilets water pipes will freeze. Certainly would be the case, but portable toilets wouldn't.

Did you ever notice how short-sighted politicians and bureaucrats are? Everyone advocates using Utah Lake and the parks that surround it and spends a bunch of money promoting it, but does little or nothing to make trips there pleasurable during the winter months. It confuses me, but I am old and easily Confused.
[signature]
I was there this morning, the ice is about 3". I walked from 1 dock to the other and it was ok. Drilled 1 hole about 5 yard out from the dock and it is 3" thick also. Fishing was dead this morning.
[signature]
[quote pezvela]

I believe this is the case at Provo State Park as well.

[/quote]

The toilets are open in the main building. One may have to access them from the side of the building closest to the lake. I don't know if the pit toilets are open or not.
[signature]