Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike in the Colorado R. ?
It's implied in the proclaimation that there are pike in the Colorado River. I know there are pike in the Green R. around Dinosaur Park but was wondering if anyone knew about the possibilty of pike in the vacinity of Moab. (or know where I can find out?) I'm headed down there in mid-March and would like to do some fishing for cats and/or pike while I'm there. Thanks!
[signature]
I'm sure there is pike in there. They have them in colorado state in the river and I know they have made it down to powell and are starting to get a bit of a foot hold down there so I'm sure there are a few around moab, but I would go after the cats first (better chance of getting one) but you never know. so I can't be more help
[signature]
I've heard of some good pike fishing on the Colorado River, just south of the bridge as you head south into Moab. I've noticed the area, which is just one big backwater/wetland area. I guess its difficult to get in there by foot but there are some big pike. Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it a go and see what happens. I know Powell has had them for many years but I just wasn't sure how far they would go up river or if they came down stream. I figued that early spring would be right to get them if they are there.
[signature]
You'll actually find more pike in the river than in Powell. When northerns show up in Lake Powell they are just incidentals. There is actually spawning habitat throughout the river coridoor and much more food.
[signature]
I have seen some big ones slapping the surface of the pools that are right off the highway that heads out to MoabRim but since I was on a jeeping quest instead of a fishing adventure I have never stopped to chase them.
[signature]
There certainly are pike in the river. From what I was told some years ago by one of their "fish cops", many had gotten into the river system after having been stocked into reservoirs. During springs where run-off was heavy enough to over run spillways, many went into the river. The conversation came up after I had flagged the guy down one afternoon. I had been spin fishing for trout on a camping trip, and tied into one that went 32". Fun to catch, but he wasn't too thrilled about what it was going to mean to the eco-system for the trout population.

Uinta Ice <'{{{{{><
[signature]
HEY NATE,

CHECK OUT THE POST I JUST PUT IN THE PIKE IN THE GREEN UP TOP THAT PETTY WAS ASKING ABOUT. YES THERE ARE AROUND MOAB EARLY IN THE SEASON. THEN UP RIVER THEY GO TO HUNT OUT THE COOLER HOLES. LATERS,
[signature]
I haven't been able to get to a computer for the last couple days. Thanks a ton for your tips, it all makes me kinda excited to give it a try. If I can't get the Pike then I hope I can still find some cats
[signature]