Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton afternoon 1/24
Hey thanks for that report, I was worried that the crappie were all gone over there... I haven't seen any the last two years, so it's good to know there are still some around... Where do you work? I was thinking you were from Box Elder county... Thanks for a great report.. Jeff
[signature]
Nice catch on the crappies and perch. I used to catch bluegills in Newton, are the gills no longer in there?
[signature]
I do work in Box Elder County, but Newton is less than a 1/2 hour away. I haven't been to Newton in years and thought I would give it a try.

I must say that I'm impressed with the size of the crappie you've been catching out of Cutler. Very nice!
[signature]
Sorry, I can't answer if the gills are still there. I would imagine that they should be. It's pretty hard to get rid of any type of panfish without treating and killing the whole lake.
[signature]
Thanks, but you may not be as impressed when I tell you how many hours per fish I've invested... Most times it's 3 hours for one fish or last week 5 hours for one fish... Today I did a little better, but I've probably spent over 40 hours to finally find the good one... I love crappie, but they sure aren't easy for me to find... I'm impressed you found so many at Newton, (I can't even graph one over there.) that's a great crappie haul... Are they in deep water or otherwise? I'd love to find a spot with lots of crappie so you can have a blast catching them, but that's hard to do around here and I live too far from Pineview to go often enough to figure them out there... Neat fish though, I think they are one of my favorites, but I guess I have lots of favorite fish... Luckily I live close to Cutler so I can run out for an hour after work and put in enough attempts that I found a few..

Well I think you did better than anyone I've heard of at Newton this year, but that shouldn't be a surprise with the way you can charm the catfish... thanks for letting us know there are still some fish in there... Later Jeff

PS... For the question about the bluegill, they are still in Newton, I haven't caught any this year, but did last ice season... They were actually pretty nice sized, but they are like the crappie, where you find them and when you find them...
[signature]
Wow, that is a lot of time spent per fish, that's dedication.

As for the depth at Newton, they were between 28 and 30 ft deep. I only drilled two sets of holes, catching the crappie at first, then the perch would move in and no more crappie. Moved to the second set of holes and it was a repeat, crappie at first then perch. The crappie wanted waxies or spikes and wanted nothing to do with perch eyes or a piece of crawler. The perch ate everything except the crawler pieces. Didn't take too long to stop tipping with a worm.
[signature]
My wife don't mind my short trips fishing, but she gets a little upset with my longer day trips, so it's a lot easier for me to drive 5 minutes and fish for an hour or two and then get back to my home chores and she doesn't seem to mind...

So not sure if it's dedication or my best chance to get out... But the first three attempts without catching any fish, was hard to go back the forth time, but then I started picking up a fish every other trip, so I kept trying until today paid off with the one I had been hoping for... Still can't get a carp or anything else to bite... don't know what I need to do to get them on the line..

That's really interesting on your Newton findings, I guess my timing has just been off when I've been over there. That's where I found the crappie in past years, but haven't crossed their path on my ice trips this year... I figured they must have went into the back bays or something, since I hadn't seen anything lately... Crappie are all about timing and being in the right spot at the right time... Thanks for sharing that info... Jeff
[signature]