Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rodent Issue
Hey Roger, this issue happen in Winters with prolonged periods of snow covering the ground. Those voles are not really much of an issue here in most years, so most people pay them little notice. Most yards will recover during the Summer when this damage occurs, so my advice would be to not worry about it, unless you see it getting worse but I think it should be about over for this year.
[signature]
In previous winters it has never been a bother noting small areas. I have an elaborate path system in the backyard with a couple of areas with piled up grass. I know it recovers in growing season but it also creates a scalping situation in spots with my lawn tractor as large as the areas get. These I will have to backfill with soil and spot re-seed. This vole has a healthy appetite.
[signature]
My limited experience with voles was a single winter during a warmer spell. No further damage to lawn after a week or so. If you aren't too obsessive compulsive don't worry about it. Flatten the burrows once should take care of the issue. My dog has a little terrier in her. It was interesting that other than tracking the voles route she didn't pounce and kill voles the way she immediately does with a rat or mouse. Maybe terriers know voles aren't the same nuisance as other rodents.
[signature]
I actually had one during the summer and saw him pop his head up a couple of times. I put a small block of the rat/mouse poison in the hole and covered it with a large rock so that the dog didn't get into it. I checked it periodically and eventually saw some chew marks. That was the end of my mole. If you discover which yard it is coming from, they also make a granular mole repellant that you can put along fence lines and is pet safe.
[signature]