Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sevier River Walk-in Access experience?
I have been itching to make a run that way myself. Pat got me thinking about breaking the white crappie record - sham on him put'n crazy ideas in my head. I cant help ya much about hows and where's but I did get an ice report a couple weeks ago of real crap ice on the two big waters - my friend did not recommend it. ( of course my friend might have been tearing up the panfish and hoping I would stay north)
[signature]
Cowboy, which are the "two big waters"? Gunnison and DMad? I was expecting to hit the river itself.

It gets DANG cold out there, but it's also pretty shallow moving water. I was expecting good ice, but prepared for NOT good ice. Hence the bunny-blasting back-up plan.

"of course my friend might have been tearing up the panfish and hoping I would stay north" This sounds like the most likely scenario. I actually got this idea in a roundabout sort of way, literally because I have a suspicion this is a secret someone else is trying to keep.

BTW, I recently discovered your YouTube videos, and thank you for them. I've learned a good bit from them about times and locations to try things.
[signature]
Springbuck-- I have fished the Sevier a few times but can't really say I have caught anything respectable there. Several years ago you could access the river from the dam at Yuba and we used to catch a few catfish there and, of course, lots of carp. I had a DWR guy tell me that there are some hefty cats in the river below the dam all the way down to the big waters. The walleyes work their way up the river during the Spring spawn. There is a diversion dam just below the cement plant that has some backwater that usually holds a few walleye and other fish. I think the diversion dam is about as far as they can run up the river and if your timing is right there are walleyes there for the guys that know how to ketch 'em.

I fished that hole one year by driving down along the RR tracks where they cross the road. The road parallels the tracks and you can drive about a mile or so right to the diversion dam. I drove down there one time just as a train was passing by. The road is very close to the tracks and I could feel the noisy train rumble by as I got out of my truck. I fished for a couple of hours or so and when I came back to my truck the engine was still running. Duh! How do you forget to turn off your truck???

Anyway, my gkids are into kayaking and they are planning a big safari by floating the river from the dam down as far as they can go. Most of the property is private so their plan is to float so they do not trespass?? There are some deep holes along the bends in the river so who knows?? they might get into some king sized cats. They are BFTers so I'm sure they will post up anything they happen to catch.

Probably not much help to ya but good luck when you go. I think the Sevier could be a sleeper for nice cats, walleyes, and whatever.

Fish on.

BLK
[signature]
I grew up in Levan and can confirm there is just about anything you can imagine in the river below Yuba. You can no longer access the spillway last I checked. But if you access the river from the frontage road at the Yuba exit and head west there are some spots and an RV camp that will usually allow fishing access. Trout, cats, walleye, pike, white bass, perch and especially carp is what I have seen come out. I have seen monster cats come off of that river too along that frontage.
[signature]
Thanks a lot, Boatloadakids!

I think the area I'm eyeballing WAY downstream from there, but I'll need to look at the maps. It's about 28 miles from Nephi on SR-132, and maybe 16 miles as the crow flies from Yuba. Kind of between Leamington and Lynndyl, not quite to Delta, not quite to D-Mad Res.

Thanks for the intel and the landmarks to get me started.
[signature]
Lipnrip, Thanks. I'm heading WAY down from the spillway. The Walk-in access property is something like 20 miles downstream from the dam. Way out between Nephi and Delta, closer to Delta.

Good to know what swims in the river is as ordered, but maybe this isn't a good winter trip. Hmmmm......
[signature]
The big waters are dmad and gb. GB in delta was the one I got a poor ice conditions report but it was a while ago, so not to relevant to your current plan. I hope ya go. I would like to learn more about the area. Been wondering if I could sneak a pike out of there this spring.

Thanks for the feedback on the videos. We do them cause it's fun and we hope it help people get out and enjoy the outdoors. I consider it an honor if a suggestion from our videos helped a family have a great outing.

Lets hook up over there this spring when the Crappie spawn and see if we can break that state record. Pat might even tell us which flig to use.
[signature]
Been warm down here I will go check and let you know. Today as I crossed the river there was no ice in sight. I will take the machine and ride part of the river tomorrow and take a look.
N.E. of Leamington just E. of the cement plant about 1/4 mile there is a walk in.
Just E. of Lynndyl 1/2 mile by the dump station there is another walk in.
Almost the whole river is accessible S. of Lynndyl. Just take one of the roads to the E. off of the HWY. most of these roads go down to a well site.
[signature]
Went and looked at 6 diff. places no ice at all.
[signature]
Pacman, thanks! Checking was very generous of you. Do you live down that way?

Changing logistics have put this trip on hold, but we are hoping to maybe try an overnighter in the spring, hitting both DMAD and these walk in properties. Early-mid May perhaps.
[signature]
Dang, that's one of my secret spots. I've caught loooooots of little cats in the big holes that are easy to get to, and a few really big ones in the holes that are more of a pain. Raw shrimp was the ticket, though I was thinking I might try cooked garlic-marinated shrimp some time. Many of the bends create deep holes and I will put a half-ounce sinker on a slip-sinker rig with an octopus hook and half a raw shrimp on, throw it out and put in a rod holder so it drifts in the current.
[signature]
You are welcome.
Live in Leamington.
Below 0 last couple of nights. Lots of ice back on the river.
[signature]
I'll do my best to respect it, Jed. And I don't expect to go often.
[signature]