Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Kokanee
They will be pretty shallow this time of the year, you should be able to catch them very near the surface, maybe 5 to 10' deep at the most. Hope you find some active fish.
[signature]
PM sent
[signature]
let us know what the ice and ramp are like
looks like snow next week
[signature]
I didn't realize Jordanelle didn't freeze over
[signature]
The arm with the main boat ramp has a fair amount of ice so it would be easier to launch from the PWC ramp.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Launched at the PWC ramp and it was a very uneventful morning. Didn’t get a hit on anything. Tried to locate some fish but wasn’t picking up much of anything on the fish finder. Tried shallow waters, deeper water, and nothing. Hate mornings like that!

Shoulda stopped at DC, but the allure of the Kokanee has me determined to catch those fish one of these days.
Sorry that you did not find any kokanee. This is not an easy time of year to target them. You probably will not see many on the fish finder because they are so close to the surface. When they are on the surface, they often move away from the boat as you pass over. Unless you have 360 imaging as Robert (Likestrolling) you are fishing blind. That requires some different tactics such as putting your dodger/squid set up out behind the boat a long ways and doing "S" pattern or Circle pattern trolling.

We will have to get you back on them when things warm up. Glad you had a chance to get out.
[signature]
[quote brookie]Sorry that you did not find any kokanee. This is not an easy time of year to target them. You probably will not see many on the fish finder because they are so close to the surface. When they are on the surface, they often move away from the boat as you pass over. Unless you have 360 imaging as Robert (Likestrolling) you are fishing blind. That requires some different tactics such as putting your dodger/squid set up out behind the boat a long ways and doing "S" pattern or Circle pattern trolling.

We will have to get you back on them when things warm up. Glad you had a chance to get out.[/quote]

Yeah I get this isn’t the best time of year. But I was hoping I could at least fool one of them!

Do you think my Kayak would spook them much? I was hoping I would have an advantage being on it vs a boat. It’s as quiet as I think you could get.
[signature]
I think it will be a few days before I can get my boat on Jordanelle
and if I find them can let you you know how deep they are

if you have planer boards I would use them, keep adding weight about 1 to 2 feet in front of the dodger till you start catching kokanee

wiperhunter2 uses planer boards that I think would work good on a Kayak

got this picture here
https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/jordan...onditions/
[signature]
I had the same experience a month ago. I spent New Years Eve on Jordy looking for Kokes. It was my 2nd try in December and we caught some rainbows and a brown but no Kokes. I was using an electric trolling motor and doing S turns since I know they are shallower but no love. Still fun though and I was definitely the last boat on Jordanelle in 2019. My first winter Koke is still out there!
[signature]
I am not sure if the kayak would spook them or not - I have not fished from a kayak. You might be right. Dec 2019 was the latest I have ever targeted them and we found 7 there on Jordanelle. The weather was pretty nice the day we went and I haven't had a day off coincide with that kind of weather since. Kind of a lot of bother to get the boat out right now for one good weather day, so I will probably wait a month or 2 and see if we can get to some extended warmer, calmer water.

I prefer Strawberry, but it will be iced up for a while so we will likely be on Jordanelle long before Strawberry is fish-able. Can't wait for the kokanee season to begin. I am going to semi-retire in early May so I should be able to really concentrate on fishing this year. See you guys on the water.
[signature]