Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 1-31
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]That was probably the same, lone 5 incher I pulled up last week. Last year (as you well remember) it was gang busters on the perch; this year has been a total bust in 3 trips up there so far. [unimpressed]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I was on the west side not sure in how much water but was only at about 15’ so as you can see wasn’t after Perch. I did manage to ice 3 nice size rainbows 15,17and 19” also lost another 3. A guy and his daughter were fishing about 25 yards closer to the bank and she caught a 10 Perch off the bottom
[signature]
Weird. I heard such good things about this lake producing last year. Now It seems like for every 10 people I talk to about Rockport only 1 out of the 10 seem to get into some good fishing. I’m gonna give it another shot on Thursday.
[signature]
good to hear you got a few...I don't mind a trout or 2 out of the ice, but have my fun with them trolling

Glad to hear you got into a few...I don't mind pulling 1 or 2 trout out of the ice, but I have my fun with them trolling in Spring, Summer, or Fall...so try targeting mostly the panfish thru the ice....but believe me -- before I started trolling more, 6 or 7 years ago, with my boat or canoe, I would definitely target the trout through ice, and only once in awhile try for panfish....it's all good....Guluk....
[signature]
Roger that my friend....see you at Hyrum...
[signature]
Ira and I fished that same end of the lake a week or two back and had the same results, not sure what the deal is with RP this year but the catching in general has been poor. I know a few folks are doing OK but it seems the majority of folks are having a hard time with that lake this year.[:|]
[signature]
Any chance it could have anything to do with those 100 + structures they dropped in last Summer? DNR guy I talked to one of the days they were installing, said it was supposed to make the perch fishing 'Amazing' for us....??
[signature]
Your know, it's funny you should mention that because I was wondering the same thing and I even mentioned it to Ira, that if we knew where those structures were, we should try fishing near them to see the the perch were collecting around them. It sure does seem strange that the first Winter after they put those things in the lake the overall perch catching is down. Is it possible that a majority of the perch could be hanging around those structures[:/]? It seems unlikely but something is different this year.
[signature]
It took some searching but I knew I had seen a thread on the location of those structures.

Here it is, first post of the thread: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...e;#1075221

Thanks to Tubedude for reaching out to DWR.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
I have been doing quite well fishing Rockport perch this ice fishing season. Without giving away too much info, I found that you have to move a lot and find active fish that are willing to bite. I will find fish that refuse to move to my presentation. I will give an area 10 minutes to see if the fish are willing to cooperate. If no love I move on. When I say this I mean you will see your flasher light up like a Christmas tree. I am wondering if the spots I have been hitting have these structures cause I have constant lines on my flasher that are stationary. Anywhere from 38 ft down to about 55 ft I am finding active concentrations of perch. Most of them are in the 6 to 10 inch range, but I am scoring some football sized 12 to 13 inchers too. I haven't been skunked once in my outings on Rockport perch searches. On Friday the 31st I caught and kept a nice mess of the bigger perch. I will see what the next batch of storms will do in the next few days. If it doesn't dump tons, I will be back out Thursday morning.
Gabe
[signature]
[quote Freakyfisherman]I have been doing quite well fishing Rockport perch this ice fishing season. Without giving away too much info, I found that you have to move a lot and find active fish that are willing to bite. I will find fish that refuse to move to my presentation. I will give an area 10 minutes to see if the fish are willing to cooperate. If no love I move on. When I say this I mean you will see your flasher light up like a Christmas tree. I am wondering if the spots I have been hitting have these structures cause I have constant lines on my flasher that are stationary. Anywhere from 38 ft down to about 55 ft I am finding active concentrations of perch. Most of them are in the 6 to 10 inch range, but I am scoring some football sized 12 to 13 inchers too. I haven't been skunked once in my outings on Rockport perch searches. On Friday the 31st I caught and kept a nice mess of the bigger perch. I will see what the next batch of storms will do in the next few days. If it doesn't dump tons, I will be back out Thursday morning.
Gabe[/quote]

Could you shoot up a flare on Thursday when you find the fish and I’ll pop up my tent 12 inches away from you?[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks much BRL, I've been meaning to do that for a while now, it's greatly appreciated. Now if I can just get the cords on my GPS[crazy].
[signature]
When I have to wait to get coordinates into my GPS or my finder I will text them to my own phone number. That way I'll usually have my phone when I remember that I need them.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Good idea, thanks.
[signature]
Not asking for coordinates, but can you say if you're going in from the West (highway) side? That's where I did so good last year....or if going in from the East, are you heading out from the ramp, then toward the dam, or heading more toward the inlet side? or accessing more by the campgrounds? tks....I'd really rather not give up on Rockport....
[signature]
Well I can’t say that the catching has always been great at Rockport but I have only been shut out once. I love Rockport its close and usually find a someone to visit with and either get advice or give it depending on who’s having the better day
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Here are the coordinates Chris Penn provided as shown on my Navionics Boating USA HD app (annual subscription of $15 required to use [Smile]).[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[inline "Rockport Structure Locations.jpg"]
[/size][/font][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]REMEMBER - These structures are in deep water and will likely hold SMALLER perch which is what they were intended to do. I have not fished this area specifically, but don't be surprised if all you find within the area defined with these four corner locations is small perch. The NORMAL (full pool) depth in this area is 75 to 77 FOW. With shallower water depths in the winter due to annual draw downs, this area may still be too deep for the larger perch to populate due to lower oxygen levels in this area.[/font][/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]Check for the level of the thermocline ([/font][/size][/#800000][#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]a steep temperature gradient) in this area if you want to know for sure. Good hunting.[/font][/size][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."