Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“Go to” lure for Bear Lake
Trebel hook with bread carp cant resist!!! That's all I've ever caught there
[signature]
Clown pattern reef runner, hands down...
[signature]
What size reef runner? I never fished them but need to!
[signature]
I've been to Bear Lake once and caught one large cutt. I used a big (5.5"?) Gitzit tube in brown with black flecks. Not much to go on but that would be my first choice next time. Btw, I love flatfish and since I have a new boat too I'll definitely add some to my lure box.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I think that I throw the tackle box at them every time I go there for an average of one to two fish a trip. The only lure that has earned the right to be out more than others is a U-20 Flatfish in the blue and silver. I caught my PB Lake Trout on my last trip with a large Rainbow Trout stick bait.
[signature]
Here are mine:
JIGGING:
4" LakR Tube from Venom Lures: in white w/bleeding red
https://www.venomlures.com/lak-r-tubes-venom-lures.html

TROLLING:
Flatfish....The original flatfish by Helin, now available from Yakima Bait Co.
size U-2O, color MSIL (metallic silver, that I add red stripes
to with a Sharpie)
Rapala…..jointed, size J11, color silver fluorescent chartreuse.
[signature]
Seems to me you did good on a white reef runner too, when we were fishing up there[:/].
[signature]
I like those tube jigs! Haven’t seen them before. For the red stripe on your silver flatfish. Do you just go down the back the length of the lure? I’ll have to try that.
[signature]
White size reef runners do you use? There are several sizes that all dive to different depths. If they dive deep do you just offset your downriggers or are running them without downriggers?
[signature]
If jigging, my go to lure is a white or white speckled 4" tube on a 3/4 ounce head. If trolling it is a three way tie between a 6" perch colored rapala, a 3" hammered gold and orange spoon, and a 6" silver rapala.

I use the floating rapalas because on the downriggers they don't hardly dive and I can be more precise with my depth than I can with a diving plug. The spoon doesn't go much deeper than the downriggers ball either.

If the lakers are on the feed then I like to use a 6" tube jig on a 1 or even a 1 1/2 ounce jighead buried inside. I put a 3" gulp minnow on the hook and shove it up into the tube for scent and it is almost as good as tipping it with fresh cut Cisco. Sometimes it even works better than Cisco.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks Mike, how far behind your cannon balls do you usually run your lures when trolling.
[signature]
CVfisher was using the reef runners, I was using some type of deep diving storm lure but the key for us that day was to be within 5 to 10 ft of the bottom. It seems to me that we were 20 or 30 ft deep with the riggers and the lures were diving 15 to 20 ft deep, we were fishing in 40 to 50 fow. See the pic of the fish I caught that day on my profile page.
[signature]