Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Huntington North - Almost ice free
We could see from the web cam that the ice was coming off HN so a couple of us fished there yesterday from our tubes.  We launched near the State Park ramp at 9:30 and fished until 3:30 using our usual fly gear.  The reservoir is ice free except for the boat ramp where the ice pushed up onto the ramp.  Needless to say there wasn't any boat traffic to watch for. Wink
We used both medium and fast sinking lines and various size 8 bead head crystal buggers and leech patterns.  The best colors were olive, green/pearl, and red.  We picked up fourteen fish, all rainbows between 13" - 15" long.  The water temperature was 40-43 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 10'.  The reservoir is full.

The fishing was really slow but there was enough wildlife around to keep us entertained.

[Image: P1060117-2.jpg] [Image: P1060118-2.jpg] [Image: P1060120-2.jpg] [Image: P1060123-2.jpg] [Image: P1060131-2.jpg] [Image: P1060139-2.jpg]
Hey I really liked your post, sounds like a blast... So i'm not very familiar with the area down there, but we applied for a deer hunt on that unit... If we get bored while hunting is the fishing good in October down that way?  Thanks Jeff
Thanks.

The fishing is actually better in the fall. There are several other options in the area too. Millsite, Cleveland, Mammoth, and Electric Lake.
never fished there before but a plan is in the works to do just that in a couple weeks. do you happen to know how deep it is and if it gets to windy for a float tube at times?
                                                      thanx
(03-07-2020, 12:25 AM)lee! Wrote: never fished there before but a plan is in the works to do just that in a couple weeks. do you happen to know how deep it is and if it gets to windy for a float tube at times?
                                                      thanx

The reservoir is about 225 acres and is around 50' deep in a few places.  The wind can be a problem at times but for the most part it's not bad.  I'm attaching a link to the Emery Water web site that has a camera and also a weather station so you can check things out before you go.

http://www.ewcd.org/cameras/huntington-n...rvoir-cam/

Good Luck!
thank you so much
Your welcome.
If you have any other questions about HN you can pm me.