Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float Tube Setup Help
Lightbulb 
Hi guys! I'm a long time follower here, and this is my first time posting. I'd like to get into float tube fishing and had read through some threads previously regarding how to set one up with rod holders, fish finder setups, etc. The website has been updated since the last time I was here and I am still trying to figure out where I found all the info before. Thought this would be a good time for me to write my first post!

Does anyone have any recommendations or instructions on how I can set up a simple float tube rig? I'm thinking maybe PVC is the easiest to work with. I am not super handy and don't have access to a lot of tools, but I would like to make something that could hold some rods (3-4, including a couple of fly fishing rods if that makes a difference), a fish finder set up, net, milk crate, and maybe camera. Hmm, this is starting to sound not so simple after all! Big Grin Is there anything I missed?

I know there are lots of folks here with tons of experience on the subject. Would you mind giving some advice on what is the best and easiest way for me to get everything I need to fit onto my float tube? Thanks in advance!

Oh, I know this post should be shared in the float tube thread, but it seems like there's not much new activity there, which is why I am posting here. Hopefully, that is okay.
I'm a float tuber but I keep mine real simple.  I have a Hummingbird fishing buddy fish finder and I'm the only pole holder. Big Grin

When TubeDude notices your post I'm sure he will be glad to help you with all the PVC and other tips to trick out your ride.

Welcome to the world of float tube fishing.
Smile
These are a few photos of my set up - be advised they are over 15 years old - I still use it more or less the same way.

TubeDude would be a great resource - He will probably chime in here.

[Image: BH-FC4-2.jpg]
[Image: BH-FC4-3.jpg]
[Image: BH-FC4-4.jpg]
[Image: BH-FC4-5.jpg]
[Image: Fishcat-Lincoln-R.jpg]
[Image: 2005-0609-Image0009-E.jpg]
[Image: 2005-0609-Image0007-E.jpg]
[attachment=70][attachment=71]Welcome to the dark side.  What tube did you get?  The size, shape and weight capacity will have a bearing on what designs you can use and how much additional weight you can add.
I started the float tubing board over 15 years ago.  I originally built it up with lot s of pictures and links, to make it a good archive and resource for newbie tubers as well as others who just wanted good ideas.  But all of that original stuff was lost several months ago during a previous "improvement".
I am one of the original float tubers...beginning back in the late 1950s (yeah, I'm that old).  And I have pioneered a lot of the add-ons and innovations in float tubing.  Been that, done there...or however it goes.
If you will send me a PM with your email address I can send you some PDF files with a lot of pictorial how-tos.  And if this is your first float tubing rodeo you would be welcome to bring your new water toy to my tubeatorium (garage).  I can look it over and suggest some of the options available...and might even help you put something together.
Here are a few pictures of some of the dozens of float tube models I have kicked around in for the past PLENTY years.
[Image: FISH-MASTER-TUBEDUDE-ON-WILLARD.jpg] [Image: ROUND-TUBE-SETUP.jpg] [Image: RED-NAUG-APRON.jpg] [Image: MINI-PONTOON.jpg] [Image: 4-WIPER.jpg] [Image: ESCAPE-MODS.jpg]
Wow, thank you everyone! I knew this would be the best resource available, and you sure did not disappoint! TubeDude, I will shoot you a PM right now.
If you haven't bought a tube yet walmart has classic accessories Togiak for 125.00 it's a great deal. And when you make Tube Dude accessories make sure you get the thin wall 1" pipe it works fabulous for rod holders.
[Image: Screenshot-20200119-172030-Amazon-Shopping.jpg]
I have been in contact with the original poster.  She and her husband have Classic Accessories Cumberland and Caddis Nevada tubes.  They have had their craft for a while but are just getting serious about becoming tubaholics.  As you might suspect, I have dumped a whole lotta verbiage on them to start...including my pictorial writeup on PVC Power...in which I suggest the use of the type 200 thin wall 1" tube for rod holders.   I hope it ain't sensory overload and that they are able to get properly set up and on the water soon.
Yes, what TubeDude said! Haha! I'm reading through all the good stuff right now, and can't wait to get this project started!
Tubedude is definitely the guy to help you with the PVC additions. It is always amazing to see him in his fabulous fishing craft. He also manages to catch fish most anywhere out of it. This a site to behold.
(03-07-2020, 08:43 PM)fishing_n00b Wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations or instructions on how I can set up a simple float tube rig? I'm thinking maybe PVC i...

There are nights when you wake up starteld, feeling like you wet the bed, and you are just disgusted with yourself.  And then there are those nights that you just Smile, and close your eyes hoping to get back to whatever it was you were dreaming about.

Tubedud -- I imagine you've got a pretty big Smile on your face right now.
Heart
(03-10-2020, 12:49 PM)PBH Wrote:
(03-07-2020, 08:43 PM)fishing_n00b Wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations or instructions on how I can set up a simple float tube rig? I'm thinking maybe PVC i...

There are nights when you wake up starteld, feeling like you wet the bed, and you are just disgusted with yourself.  And then there are those nights that you just Smile, and close your eyes hoping to get back to whatever it was you were dreaming about.

Tubedud -- I imagine you've got a pretty big Smile on your face right now.
Heart

Not a Smile.  Just a grimace of pain.  You bring that out in me.
By the way, what kind of nighttime "medication" do you take to induce your hallucinations of enuresis? 
Melatonin.

Big Grin