Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUGGESTION BOX
During my working career I held several management positions in which I was the recipient of complaints from fellow employees.  I had a policy of "Don't complain...Communicate".  In other words, anyone who brought up a problem should be prepared with a potential solution to the problem.

This new forum has been a source of great frustration to all of us.  People are basically resistant to change but tend to be more accepting if the changes are positive.  Many of the changes in our new system are NOT positive and make it difficult if not impossible to enjoy the potential improvements.  It is gratifying that some of the glitches have been addressed and corrected.  But there are a few that are still major hurdles...at least for me.,.and others I am sure. 

Since the powers that be seem to be open to suggestions and change, I suggest a "suggestion box".  We have to realize that there are limits to what can be done "after the fact".   But hopefully we can get some relief where changes are possible.  Here is my short list of grievances:

1. REPLIES.  It is a pain to have to keep rereading all of the previous replies on each new reply.  Do not quote previous posts unless the QUOTE button is clicked.

2.  REPLIES.  It is also a pain to have to scroll down to the bottom to find the most recent post on a thread.  Much better to make it a reverse order...last post first.

3. NOTIFICATIONS.  Our former forum automatically emailed notifications whenever there was a reply to one of our posts...or if we had a PM waiting for us.  Since some of these things have an element of timing, notifications are helpful.  Shouldn't have to worry about subscribing or not.

4.  FILE ATTACHMENTS.  The standards and appearance of posted pictures seem to change.  Clarify this situation.  Also, this system does not recognize PDF files for attachment and will not accept them.  There is a lot of info to be shared besides just pictures and eliminating PDF files reduces the informational potential of the forum.

Anybody else have suggestions?
(03-12-2020, 01:43 PM)TubeDude Wrote: During my working career I held several management positions in which I was the recipient of complaints from fellow employees. I had a policy of "Don't complain...Communicate". In other words, anyone who brought up a problem should be prepared with a potential solution to the problem.

This new forum has been a source of great frustration to all of us. People are basically resistant to change but tend to be more accepting if the changes are positive. Many of the changes in our new system are NOT positive and make it difficult if not impossible to enjoy the potential improvements. It is gratifying that some of the glitches have been addressed and corrected. But there are a few that are still major hurdles...at least for me.,.and others I am sure.

Since the powers that be seem to be open to suggestions and change, I suggest a "suggestion box". We have to realize that there are limits to what can be done "after the fact". But hopefully we can get some relief where changes are possible. Here is my short list of grievances:

1. REPLIES. It is a pain to have to keep rereading all of the previous replies on each new reply. Do not quote previous posts unless the QUOTE button is clicked. I 100% agree with this.

2. REPLIES. It is also a pain to have to scroll down to the bottom to find the most recent post on a thread. Much better to make it a reverse order...last post first. I would suggest that it should be an option for each member. Allow the default to be set by the user.

3. NOTIFICATIONS. Our former forum automatically emailed notifications whenever there was a reply to one of our posts...or if we had a PM waiting for us. Since some of these things have an element of timing, notifications are helpful. Shouldn't have to worry about subscribing or not. I don't know about the PM notification, but I have already set the notification default in my 'User CP' file to "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies." So for me, it is automatic.

4. FILE ATTACHMENTS. The standards and appearance of posted pictures seem to change. Clarify this situation. Also, this system does not recognize PDF files for attachment and will not accept them. There is a lot of info to be shared besides just pictures and eliminating PDF files reduces the informational potential of the forum. Again, I 100% agree; PDF files should be allowed as the PDF format is a universal format that all devices can access with a free app.

I also would encourage the owners of this site to provide a 'SUGGESTION BOX'. And, just like you suggested (and I learned in my military service), a suggestion is worthless without a proposed solution. And for what it's worth, the proposed solution doesn't have to include the software code to make it happen. Just define the problem as you see it, and suggest an alternative process or approach. For example: Problem - Notification of replies to my posts aren't currently automatic. Solution - Allow me, as a user, to select a permanent default setting that makes it automatic without me having to select it with every post.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I agree with everything TD & dubob said.
Since the transition I have not been able to receive any notifications.  Curt has the crew working on it.
I'm for being able to attach other file types along with the PDF format, as long as we keep the size down.
Cheers,
(03-12-2020, 04:32 PM)gofish435 Wrote: I agree with everything TD & dubob said.
Since the transition I have not been able to receive any notifications.  Curt has the crew working on it.
I'm for being able to attach other file types along with the PDF format, as long as we keep the size down.
Cheers,

Here, here....... agree all the way around. I'm sure the IT gurus for the site already know this, or  should know this, the advantage of pdf formated posts is that it requires less data memory, or bytes, or 1's and 0's Arrow, or whatever you call them. I think  that's what pdf stands for.....portable document format ? Almost any other format can be converted into pdf.  So...........when TD posts a very long and detailed history or fishin report, and attaches one of his numerous informative documents (that I have benefited from numeroous times), attaching it in a pdf just make more sense.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Or if they could get it to where it would jump down to the unread posts when you clicked on a thread like the old site did.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
My suggestion is to move all the Moderator, Testing, and other non-Utah fishing-related forums elsewhere - to the bottom, at least. They are now at the top, which is tedious to scroll past no matter what device you're using.
<p>I will pass these issues on, some they are aware of and haven't been addressed because there are bigger issues to deal with at the moment, like getting everyone back on line. Some issues have been fixed and others are being worked on. Like the PDF situation, the file size is limited to 2mb, have you tried attaching files that size or smaller? Let me know if you can open this link:<br />
<url href="https://prnt.sc/rec4wa">https://prnt.sc/rec4wa</url><br />
<br />
 </p>
(03-12-2020, 01:43 PM)TubeDude Wrote: During my working career I held several management positions in which I was the recipient of complaints from fellow employees.  I had a policy of "Don't complain...Communicate".  In other words, anyone who brought up a problem should be prepared with a potential solution to the problem.

This new forum has been a source of great frustration to all of us.  People are basically resistant to change but tend to be more accepting if the changes are positive.  Many of the changes in our new system are NOT positive and make it difficult if not impossible to enjoy the potential improvements.  It is gratifying that some of the glitches have been addressed and corrected.  But there are a few that are still major hurdles...at least for me.,.and others I am sure. 

Since the powers that be seem to be open to suggestions and change, I suggest a "suggestion box".  We have to realize that there are limits to what can be done "after the fact".   But hopefully we can get some relief where changes are possible.  Here is my short list of grievances:

1. REPLIES.  It is a pain to have to keep rereading all of the previous replies on each new reply.  Do not quote previous posts unless the QUOTE button is clicked.

2.  REPLIES.  It is also a pain to have to scroll down to the bottom to find the most recent post on a thread.  Much better to make it a reverse order...last post first.

3. NOTIFICATIONS.  Our former forum automatically emailed notifications whenever there was a reply to one of our posts...or if we had a PM waiting for us.  Since some of these things have an element of timing, notifications are helpful.  Shouldn't have to worry about subscribing or not.

4.  FILE ATTACHMENTS.  The standards and appearance of posted pictures seem to change.  Clarify this situation.  Also, this system does not recognize PDF files for attachment and will not accept them.  There is a lot of info to be shared besides just pictures and eliminating PDF files reduces the informational potential of the forum.

(03-12-2020, 06:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: <p>I will pass these issues on, some they are aware of and haven't been addressed because there are bigger issues to deal with at the moment, like getting everyone back on line. Some issues have been fixed and others are being worked on. Like the PDF situation, the file size is limited to 2mb, have you tried attaching files that size or smaller? Let me know if you can open this link:<br />
<url href="https://prnt.sc/rec4wa">https://prnt.sc/rec4wa</url><br />
<br />
 </p>
The link will not open.  And whenever I have been asked to resend something that was lost in the transition, the PDF file will not even show up on the folder in which it is saved.  This system does not even recognize PDF files.

And there is a message that sometimes appears saying unlimited megabytes or something like that.  I have seen pictures posted and accepted that were bigger.  But I have been cutting all of my posted pictures way down.
Here are some answers I received but the link I posted basicly says all attachments must not exceed 2mb. I like the suggestion box idea but I'm sure you are aware that would likely not be on the Utah board but I guess we could always post a link to it.
1-Members ARE able to attach pictures to their posts but they ARE NOT able to attach pdf files or word texts like they use to.  Is that any easy fix for you to enable?
- maybe, they're trying to upload/attach files that are bigger than 2mb 
 2- Some (not all)  members are not getting the email when they try and reset their passwords ( and they seem to be sure they are using the right email) Does it have ANYTHING to do with the browser they are using??
- if they're using the right email, then advise them to use another browser or incognito/private browsing mode, I've tested it on my private email it works well. 
3- It use to be set up where the members would get an email with a notice that they replied to a post or PM.  Do we have that setup?  
- they can go to (user CP > edit options > Messaging and Notification > check all the options then Save)
only thing I know about PDF files is how to open them I miss Pat's.  some I saved to my PC but most were in the old BFT.

I would like to beable to post a video,  I think I could make one that is 2MB.   just to show something I have learned. I'm not a very good writer like the rest of you are.
(03-12-2020, 07:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote: The link will not open.  And whenever I have been asked to resend something that was lost in the transition, the PDF file will not even show up on the folder in which it is saved.  This system does not even recognize PDF files.

And there is a message that sometimes appears saying unlimited megabytes or something like that.  I have seen pictures posted and accepted that were bigger.  But I have been cutting all of my posted pictures way down.

I've added a 1 Meg PDF file and inserted it into my post.  It opens on my computer.

.pdf   2019-NSSA-Rule-Book.pdf (Size: 1,009.96 KB / Downloads: 16)
Here is the same attachment without inserting in the post.  It also opens on my computer.

Attached Files
.pdf   2019-NSSA-Rule-Book.pdf (Size: 1,009.96 KB / Downloads: 8)
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Quote:I've added a 1 Meg PDF file to this post.  It opens on my computer.

Looks like PDF files do work, thanks for posting that Bob.
(03-12-2020, 06:50 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: My suggestion is to move all the Moderator, Testing, and other non-Utah fishing-related forums elsewhere - to the bottom, at least. They are now at the top, which is tedious to scroll past no matter what device you're using.
Rocky, instead of saving all the forum boards in your favorites or bookmarks, just save the Utah boards and you won't see those other boards, try this link and save it, if thats all you want to see:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdis...hp?fid=386
(03-12-2020, 08:07 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote: The link will not open.  And whenever I have been asked to resend something that was lost in the transition, the PDF file will not even show up on the folder in which it is saved.  This system does not even recognize PDF files.

I've added a 1 Meg PDF file and inserted it into my post.  It opens on my computer.

Here is the same attachment without inserting in the post.  It also opens on my computer.
The file you posted also opens in my computer.  My problem is that this system does not recognize nor attach ANY PDF files on my computer.  Wonder if it is a computer or software issue?
Robert,

You CAN post videos on here.  The size of the video doesn't matter because you are posting a link to it's location (URL) on the web.  This video is just over 12 minutes long which I'm sure is way over 2Mb in size.  It posts and plays just fine.  It contains some info on the Fish Lake Perch fest from 2020.  Check it out. 

This video above is from YouTube, but BFT will let you post from the following websites as well.

[Image: 9mqLMmT.jpg]

I'm having trouble figuring out how to put pictures (upload direct from my computer) into my posts without adding them to my IMGUR account first.

(03-12-2020, 08:50 PM)TubeDude Wrote: The file you posted also opens in my computer.  My problem is that this system does not recognize nor attach ANY PDF files on my computer.  Wonder if it is a computer or software issue?
It might be a 'browser' issue.  I used MS Edge.  I haven't tried it with 'Crome' or 'Firefox'.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
WH, I do come directly to the Utah board, but there are still Moderator Only forums and such at the top of the page. There was a GPro Testing forum (or something like that) that has now vanished. But one still has to scroll down past several forum blocks to get to this one. It's just an annoyance, not an issue that needs immediate attention.
(03-12-2020, 08:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Rocky, instead of saving all the forum boards in your favorites or bookmarks, just save the Utah boards and you won't see those other boards, try this link and save it, if thats all you want to see:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdis...hp?fid=386
Curt,

I just bookmark individual forums and store like minded sites (say 'Fishing' sites) in one folder on my 'Favorites' bar.  Then right click on the folder and then click on 'Open All'.  They will all open in their own window.  Open each window one at a tim e, do my thing in each, then close that window.  Works like a charm.

(03-12-2020, 09:06 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: WH, I do come directly to the Utah board, but there are still Moderator Only forums and such at the top of the page. There was a GPro Testing forum (or something like that) that has now vanished. But one still has to scroll down past several forum blocks to get to this one. It's just an annoyance, not an issue that needs immediate attention.
Rocky,

Just bookmark the forums you want to read and store the bookmarks in one folder on your 'Favorites' bar.  Call it say 'BFT'.  Right click it and click on the 'Open All' choice.  All will open in their own windows (tabs).  Click each tab one at a time, look through threads of interest, close the tab when done and continue to the next tab.  Works great.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(03-12-2020, 09:06 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: WH, I do come directly to the Utah board, but there are still Moderator Only forums and such at the top of the page. There was a GPro Testing forum (or something like that) that has now vanished. But one still has to scroll down past several forum blocks to get to this one. It's just an annoyance, not an issue that needs immediate attention.

Did you try clicking on that link I just posted? There is a Utah mod board at the top but right after is the main utah board, the Utah boards have always been set up like that, even before the new site was launched.
(03-12-2020, 08:59 PM)dubob Wrote: Robert,

You CAN post videos on here.  The size of the video doesn't matter because you are posting a link to it's location (URL) on the web.  This video is just over 12 minutes long which I'm sure is way over 2Mb in size.  It posts and plays just fine.  It contains some info on the Fish Lake Perch fest from 2020.  Check it out. 

This video above is from YouTube, but BFT will let you post from the following websites as well.

[Image: 9mqLMmT.jpg]

I'm having trouble figuring out how to put pictures (upload direct from my computer) into my posts without adding them to my IMGUR account first.

(03-12-2020, 08:50 PM)TubeDude Wrote: The file you posted also opens in my computer.  My problem is that this system does not recognize nor attach ANY PDF files on my computer.  Wonder if it is a computer or software issue?

It might be a 'browser' issue.  I used MS Edge.  I haven't tried it with 'Crome' or 'Firefox'.
Nope.  Not the browser.  I switched to MS Edge.  It showed the PDF files...unlike Firefox...but when I tried to attach one to this post...under the size limit...this is the message I got:  Some files couldn't be added  pdf - Invalid or unsupported file format.
(03-12-2020, 08:50 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 08:07 PM)dubob Wrote:

The file you posted also opens in my computer.  My problem is that this system does not recognize nor attach ANY PDF files on my computer.  Wonder if it is a computer or software issue?

Pat,

Answer these:

Which OS are you using ?
Did you modify your OS for privacy or security in some unusual manner ?
Which Browser are you using ?
Is that Browser "Tor" ? or some other variant of any popular browser - i.e Waterfox, Palemoon, Brave or Iceweasel/GNU IceCat ?
What security add ons or plugins have you added to your browser ?
What level of security and privacy does or computer have ?
Are you using No-Script ?
Are you using Ghostery ?
Are you using Privacy Badger ?

If you want, you can send me a PM and we can talk about what might be amiss - if it is on your end.

I am using Linux - a version that I built from scratch. I have also had no problems with Mac OS, IOS, Windows 7 and Windows 10, Chrome OS, and Android in native installs and / or in a virtual environment.    My biggest issue was that this website could not send an email to my comcast address - even after I got logged in with my user name and even set up a new user name to test things out. When I contacted the Admin and gave him/her my email address , he said he could not find it.  However it was right there in my account just like it was for 15 years.
The website works fine in many aspects as far as it is quite generic and a canned type product - considering it is built from free and open source MyBB (I believe the BB might stand for Bargain Basement) If you check thier own help forum you might get something of a clue. 
I love the suggestion box idea but, Looking at the open source code and the Help Forum I suspect there won't be much customizing unless there are already pre packaged plugins that fit the criteria.  I'll hope for the best but won't hold my breath.

Here is an image of a small indicator of just one  tiny little potential curiosity :

[Image: Screenshot-at-2020-03-12-14-59-43.png]