Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small creek trout
My son is dying to go catch trout in a small stream.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a place within an hour or so of Salt Lake?  Either fies or worms will be fine.  I am sure there are tons of them but I haven't really targeted small streams since I was a kid in Oregon.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thorny
Before the creeks get too high from runoff, you could try the lower streches of Big Cottonwood Creek.  Another possibility would be the stream in Amercian Fork Canyon.

If he water is high, don't try. It is not worth the risk.
(03-17-2020, 07:01 PM)Matador Wrote: Before the creeks get too high from runoff, you could try the lower streches of Big Cottonwood Creek.  Another possibility would be the stream in Amercian Fork Canyon.

If he water is high, don't try. It is not worth the risk.

Good suggestions.  I will give them a try.  Thanks for responding.
(03-15-2020, 06:11 PM)Thorny Wrote: My son is dying to go catch trout in a small stream.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a place within an hour or so of Salt Lake?  Either fies or worms will be fine.  I am sure there are tons of them but I haven't really targeted small streams since I was a kid in Oregon.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thorny
Can't verify current conditions but in times past there has been good fishing on the Provo right through town and between Provo and Utah Lake.  Some good holes with rainbow, brown, whitefish and even some upriver white bass.  Worms will work.  So will scud pattern flies dredged along the bottom.
still a bit snowy but we, being tu, the dnr and volunteers are in the process of restoring mill creek with og bonneville cutts
its been a few years since the upper dog lake th  section was roatoned and restocked and each year lower sections were done
the gate at porter fk will be closed till mermorial day or so
and it is the dog friendly canyon
otherwise big cc still a lot of snow up high if its supportable theres some good fishing flats in the donut falls cardiff fk trailhead 
the corona viris thingy killed the red snake the ski resorts form and the canyons are empty cept the "earn your turns" addicts
of which i am
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Great ideas.  I will definitely give them a try.  I will let you know how we do.

Thorny
One potential place is on mill creek where it passes through Scott avenue park (9th east and 3600S or so). I have seen people fishing it in the past, and occasionally it is stocked as part of the urban fisheries program. I have no personal experience fishing this area.
I have known a few people that had Mill creek run through their back yards, between 2300 east and 2900 east, and they have done very well fly fishing from the bank in their yards. 
This may cause some to question my sanity, but one more potential river...the Jordan River. 
Don't overlook the urban fishing ponds, they could be very close by and can be lots of fun.
Download, install and activate norton antivirus on your device it protect you from harmful threats. norton online security scan your device and protect all your personal information from viruses.

Download, install and activate the AVG product. Enter your AVG license for avg retail registrationin your pc.

If your system isn't booting or loading applications at the same time and it takes a lot of time then in that case you first unboxed it, iolo download System Mechanic.

trend micro install service is the easiest way to configure your online security product. It help to find out the viruses from your system.

Download and install iolo system mechanic mechanic in your device, after installing you have to activate it by enter the activation code in the given box which is shown on your screen, for more query you can contact us .
(03-15-2020, 06:11 PM)Thorny Wrote: My son is dying to go catch trout in a small stream.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a place within an hour or so of Salt Lake?  Either fies or worms will be fine.  I am sure there are tons of them but I haven't really targeted small streams since I was a kid in Oregon.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thorny
If your still looking the next week or so is some of the best small creek fishing of the year if you’re willing to drive 75-90 minutes from SLC. Thistle Creek, Diamond Fork and Sixth Water all have very prolific stonefly hatches. Sixth Water is at least a week later than the others and a lot of work to get in. Thistle unfortunately has less and less creek open to the public. The granddaddy of stones, the salmon fly usually will start hatching on Diamond Fork this next week. Utah anglers don’t seem to understand this hatch and typically show up in the morning (when Diamond is universally slow) and leave before mid afternoon. Salmon fly hatch in the entire western U.S. doesn't get started to mid to late afternoon. This hatch is never a sure thing as rains and high water will blow it out completely. Diamond Fork is running low at about 50 CFS. If it doesn’t rain much or they don't suddenly start dumping more water from Strawberry through the tunnels there is a good chance of a tremulous hatch with big trout feeding with abandon. Size 6-10 dries and nymphs work. They aren’t picky, once in the middle of 6th Water I came on the hatch unexpectedly mid June without any salmon or stone flies on me. I caught 60 trout in less than 2 hour with a size 10 bead head Prince nymph. Those fish averaged 15-16 inches but on Diamond Fork the fish feeding on salmon flies are typically a bit bigger.
These are all good suggestions, but a lot of the places mentioned are kind of difficult for children and not usually fast fishing. If your son just wants to catch fish, I'd consider white bass fishing where a stream enters Utah Lake. (I haven't been out in a week but I bet you can still catch fish. In line spinners are a good choice.) Also, in Utah the fastest trout fishing is often for stocked trout, usually in urban (or nearby) ponds. I haven't fished any near salt lake, but the highly rated ponds on the utah state fishing report map are often not too far from the truth.
https://dwrapps.utah.gov/fishing/fStart

One other thing: I think the fastest small stream action is usually in the Uintas, though that won't be till later in the summer. I'm not an expert, but feel free to PM me when it comes around if you're looking for a spot to try.