Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lake Powell Fishing Help
never fished ; Lake Powell , about two months ago a guy that has a house boat down by page asked me to go. and I told him, no I did not want to put my boat in that water.
then yesterday a norther guy called me and said he wanted to go. the guy with the house boat told him he would need to bring a boat.
so I got talked into going he is pulling my boat. and a norther guy that lives next to me is also going in me boat, so will be 3 in my boat.
looks like 5 boats.; all of us sleeping on his house boat.
 I think he leaves the house boat at the dock, then we drive are boats maybe 5 miles to fish for ; Striped bass

leaving  Thursday the 26th coming home Sunday (Hope there is some food in the stores by then.)

(i did that spelling check and it did some weird things)
Have fun!!!! Let us know how you do!
(03-15-2020, 07:17 PM)liketrolling Wrote: never fished ; Lake Powell , about two months ago a guy that has a house boat down by page asked me to go. and I told him, no I did not want to put my boat in that water.
then yesterday a norther guy called me and said he wanted to go. the guy with the house boat told him he would need to bring a boat.
so I got talked into going he is pulling my boat. and a norther guy that lives next to me is also going in me boat, so will be 3 in my boat.
looks like 5 boats.; all of us sleeping on his house boat.
 I think he leaves the house boat at the dock, then we drive are boats maybe 5 miles to fish for ; Striped bass

leaving  Thursday the 26th coming home Sunday (Hope there is some food in the stores by then.)

(i did that spelling check and it did some weird things)

I ran spell check on your post and it found you had spelled weird incorrectly.  You spelled it: weard.  I let spell check correct it above.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Love you Bob ( well Maybe) 
I may need to start using word pad to check my spelling and paste in here
that ABC spell check does not seem to work for me 
I know you had a post on it.
also that red I added after I did the spell check
by the way in school I got a F in spelling   just hope I don't get a F in fishing.
Quote:(i did that spelling check and it did some weird things)
Robert, this is how it works for me: Click on the ABC with the check mark below, scroll down and click on "check Spelling". The words that are underlined are misspelled, click on them, one at a time, they will turn red, then click on the correct word to the left, then then click on, Change to" button and finally click on, "finish checking". That's what I've been doing, not sure it works that way for everyone. I just did it on that word weird on your post.
Quote: 

Quote:"liketrolling" pid='1095671' dateline='1584299878'
A.  never fished ; Lake Powell 
B.   and I told him, no I did not want to put my boat in that water.
C.   I think he leaves the house boat at the dock, then we drive our boats maybe 5 miles to fish for ; Striped bass
D.  leaving  Thursday the 26th coming home Sunday (Hope there is some food in the stores by then.)

A.  You'll love it.  It's an amazing place.  Hope for good weather (no wind).
B.  Fearful of quagga?  It's not bad to have some fear -- that means you're aware, and that's good.  Are you leaving your boats in the water at night, or trailering them at night?  Either way, make sure to follow the "clean, drain, dry" protocol and you'll be OK.  If you can, get it cleaned when you leave, or contact the DWR to find a cleaning station and schedule to have it cleaned.  No worries.
C.  What marina?  Wahweap vs. Bullfrog?  We can help you figure out location strategies and current fishing success.
D.  If there is not food, at least you'll be able to catch some food and have access to plenty of water!

Start checking Wayne's Words website for up-to-date fishing reports.   It's a good resource to help figure out locations, techniques, etc.

(Why won't quotes stay on posts?  What have you guys done to screw up quoting???)
We have done basically the same trip (houseboat, 3 or more boats, etc) except early May and out of Bullfrog, for twenty plus years.  

I have to recommend fishing for Smallmouth, Lgmouth, Crappie, Bluegill, Walleye, as a lot more fun.  Maybe a little more challenging, but I also like Crappie, Walleye, much better for a fish fry down there.  It should be a lot more Warmer around Page, Wahweap, and the above fish starting to get active.  

Check out Waynes Words online for fishing reports, recommendations.  Wayne pushes fishing for Stripers because they want to deplete the population.   Ok, but there are a lot more different fishing opportunities.

We have stayed in the Marina sometimes, but usually tried to get out on the Lake.  Fun to hike, fish around shore, etc.  and generally explore Powell.  Once you this trip, you'll probably go back for more annually.  Good luck.  Have a fun trip!
If you intend to fish for stripers, follow whatefer Wayne's Words says this week. For anything else, the only thing you need is the Ned rig. Buy the ZMan TRD and Hula Stix in these colors: The Deal, PB&J, Smelt, Coppertreuse, Green Pumpkin and JuneBug. Rig on 1/16 and 1/8 jig heads. Fish on 6# and 10# spinning rigs. (Braid to fluoro leader) and be prepared to suffer through 100 fish days. SM and LM bas, walleye, and crappie all hammer them.
(03-16-2020, 03:00 PM)PBH Wrote:   Wahweap

going to   Wahweap, just bot a map started watching you tube 
and like you said got on wayne's Words the guys going with me don't know a lot 
the other 4 boats going go every year.but I want to learn more than what they nknow befor I get there
we are going after stripers mostly 
on youtube some troll and on waynes some were trolling last week but it looks like most use 
Anchovies.
and thanks for your help

(03-16-2020, 03:00 PM)PBH Wrote:
Quote: 

Quote:"liketrolling" pid='1095671' dateline='1584299878'
A.  never fished ; Lake Powell 
B.   and I told him, no I did not want to put my boat in that water.
C.   I think he leaves the house boat at the dock, then we drive our boats maybe 5 miles to fish for ; Striped bass
D.  leaving  Thursday the 26th coming home Sunday (Hope there is some food in the stores by then.)

A.  You'll love it.  It's an amazing place.  Hope for good weather (no wind).
B.  Fearful of quagga?  It's not bad to have some fear -- that means you're aware, and that's good.  Are you leaving your boats in the water at night, or trailering them at night?  Either way, make sure to follow the "clean, drain, dry" protocol and you'll be OK.  If you can, get it cleaned when you leave, or contact the DWR to find a cleaning station and schedule to have it cleaned.  No worries.
C.  What marina?  Wahweap vs. Bullfrog?  We can help you figure out location strategies and current fishing success.
D.  If there is not food, at least you'll be able to catch some food and have access to plenty of water!

Start checking Wayne's Words website for up-to-date fishing reports.   It's a good resource to help figure out locations, techniques, etc.

(Why won't quotes stay on posts?  What have you guys done to screw up quoting???)

going to   Wahweap, just bot a map started watching you tube 
the other 4 boats going go every year.but I want to learn more than what they nknow befor I get there
we are going after stripers mostly the guys I taking want to fish for them but hop we can try for the others 
on youtube some troll and on waynes some were trolling last week but it looks like most use Anchovies.
and thanks for your help
I dont know what is going on  with this new site why it came out so you can not see it.
It's the Fishonia virus.

Everything will be better in a couple of weeks. Lol

Apparently the Smiles are not working either.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(03-16-2020, 11:50 PM)liketrolling Wrote: going to   Wahweap, just bot a map started watching you tube 
we are going after stripers mostly the guys I taking want to fish for them but hop we can try for the others 
on youtube some troll and on waynes some were trolling last week but it looks like most use Anchovies.
and thanks for your help
I dont know what is going on  with this new site why it came out so you can not see it.

Anchovies -- here's the deal with bait fishing for stripers:  bait (anchovies, cut bait including striper, etc.) works really good when the stripers are starving.  In the past,  low forage numbers force schools of stripers to main channel where they congrengate into huge schools.  Boats look for these schools in familiar places like the dam, power intake, buoy 21, etc.  Multiple boats will pack in with each other and start fishing and chumming.  Striper schools show up and all boats enjoy catching a lot of fish -- but they are starving fish with emaciated bodies.  Sure, it can be fun -- especially to those who don't know the difference between a healthy striper and a starving-to-death striper.  There are better ways (in my mind) to catch stripers.  And Powell is a great place for exploring -- don't limit yourself to only fishing at the dam and the power intake!  Go explore!

As can be read on Wayne's Words -- this year is going to be different.  High numbers of forage + good water levels mean that stripers are not moving to the main channel in search of shad.  They are staying in the backs of the canyons enjoying a smorgasboard of food.  This is why Wayne is telling people to troll.

Here is my recommendation for your trip:
A.  troll to locate schools of stripers.  Head to the backs of the canyons:  Rock Creek \ Navajo.  Again -- head straight to the back of the canyons.  Don't screw around trolling in 80 - 100 feet of water.  Get back to 20', then start trolling.  Watch for water color changes -- you don't really want to be fishing in clear water.  The back of Navajo and Rock Creek will change to a brown tint - shad will use this staind water as "cover", and stripers will be searching for shad in this same staind water.  The colored water also warms quicker.  Troll diving plugs (12 - 18') in 20 feet of water.  If you can find a ledge that drops from 20 --> 60+, watch it closely for a school of fish.

B.  When you hook a striper trolling, check your graph to see if there are more marks.  Remember, these are schooling fish. Where you find one, there should be more.  Other anglers should grab their rods and starting casting while the hooked up angler fights his fish.  Keep an eye on the bottom -- if you are seeing a school on the graph, start dropping spoons to them.

C.  Pay attention to where you hook a fish while trolling.  Go back and forth over that spot -- again, these are schooling fish.  Where you find one, there should be more.

D.  If it warms up, don't be affraid to break out the "bass" gear and start casting to structure for both green and black bass.

E.  Last-ditch effort:  if all else fails, look for other boats congregated together fishin the main canyon along steep walls.  These are the bait fishermen.  Don't be bashful -- just pull on up and join the group.  You don't have to use anchovies (they are messy, smelly, and scales will be in your boat forever....).  It is legal to use striper for both bait and chum at Powell.  Hopefully you'll have a couple stripers by now.  Filet one, then cut the filets into strips to use as bait.  The fresh skin will stay on your hook / jig head.  cut the rest of the carcas up for chum.

March can be a tricky month, but it can also be very rewarding.  Last year we had a beautiful day in Warm Creek bay.  After struggling to find enough stripers in Navajo to keep the kids entertained, we switched tactics and headed for Warm Creek.  My wife and kids were catching small mouth by themselves.  Nice smallies too!  The weather was beautiful!
Fish for stripers if you like, but in my sometimes less than humble opinion, smallies are much preferred. That's both as a sport fish and as table fare. Both smallies and stripers (as well as walleye) are recommended catch and kill species at Powell. It isn't a mandatory rule, but you really shouldn't be releasing any of the three because they are quite overabundant. That's why there's no limit on any of the three.

Do release all crappie and largemouth, though. They are struggling from lack of spawning habitat in years past - and due to competition from the much more aggressive Big Three.
(03-17-2020, 02:47 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Fish for stripers if you like, but in my sometimes less than humble opinion, smallies are much preferred.

What - say it isn't so Rocky.   Big Grin
(03-17-2020, 02:47 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: That's why there's no limit on any of the three.

2020 Guidbook says:
Quote:Lake Powell, Garfield, Kane and San Juan
counties.  See Bait on page 12 for the use of dead shad
as bait in Lake Powell.
Limit 20 smallmouth bass.
• Limit 5 largemouth bass.
• Limit 10 crappie.
• Limit 25 channel catfish.
• No limit on striped bass.
• No limit on walleye.
• Fish may be filleted at any time.
• Anglers may possess filleted fish.
• Anglers may use dead striped bass as
bait.

On my two trips a year to Powell, we keep walleye, and smallmouth bass in the 2 pound area.  We do not keep largemouth bass unless they are injured beyound recovery from removing a swallowed bait.  The bass and walleye are excellent table fare; strippers not so much.  We kill 'em and leave 'em (legal in Lake Powell).
Quote:In 2013, the Utah Legislature passed a law that allows anglers to dispose of carp and a few other species—particularly species under catch-and-kill orders at certain waterbodies—without violating the state’s wasting statute. If you visit any of the following waters and catch any of the species listed for those waters, you may dispose of them: Lake Powell: striped bass
But if you like 'em, by all means, keep as many as you care to clean.  Have fun Robert
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(03-17-2020, 02:47 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Fish for stripers if you like, but in my sometimes less than humble opinion, smallies are much preferred. 

To each, his own.  I like fishing for smallmouth bass.  They can be very fun.

However, given the opportunity to fight a healthy striper in the 20+" range?  I'll take the striper!
This year the stripers should be in phenomenal condition.  As for tablefare, as long as you take propper care of the filets, striper is very, very good.  Just cut all the red strip out, and you're good to go!  You should be able to "accidentally" pick up some walleye while trolling for stripers too.

The OP's handle is "liketrolling".  I can't imagine someone with that name not having an absolute blast out trolling for stripers!  This should be right up his alley!

Dubob -- If you are comparing bass and walleye to strippers.....I don't know what to say.  That's just....well....different?  I don't know...
But stripers are pretty dang good.  If you get rid of the red strip off them, they are pretty dang close to smb and lmb.  I'll give you the walleye and crappie -- those are pretty hard to beat, by any standard.
Thanks for the limit on smallies correction. I had misrememberized. I don't disagree with the stripers as table fare comment, but it does contain that rather large "IF" you clean it correctly statement - which is so true. A 12" or larger smallie fillets so quickly and easily with no need to trim red meat - and then fries up as white and flaky as any crappie.

My experience with stripers has been with skinny, emaciated, starving, fightless ones apparently happy to commit suicide by being caught. All the tugs of a dishrag. This year's fish may be a whole nuther kettle of...well, you know.
(03-17-2020, 05:41 PM)PBH Wrote: Dubob -- If you are comparing bass and walleye to strippers.....I don't know what to say.  That's just....well....different?  I don't know...
But stripers are pretty dang good.  If you get rid of the red strip off them, they are pretty dang close to smb and lmb.  I'll give you the walleye and crappie -- those are pretty hard to beat, by any standard.

There is no question that individual food preferences differ greatly.  I have eaten the meat from just about every fish that is considered edible in the state of Utah.  For me and a lot of folks I know, stripers are way down on the preference list.  And for me, the same can be said for wipers and white bass.  I'm just not into any of them.  Way to much work involved in the 'proper care' to obtain edible fillets.  Perch, walleye, bass (LM and SM), catfish, bluegill, crappie, salmon, splake, tiger trout, and several others came way before stripers.  Suckers, carp, and northern pike have very tasty meat as well when 'properly cared for', but I don't have the desire to go to that much work to eat fish.

But far be it from me to tell anybody what fish to eat or how to prepare it for consumption.  I know what works for me and mine and stick to what we enjoy eating.  Stripers ain't making it to my dinner table any time soon.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(03-17-2020, 08:52 PM)dubob Wrote: For me and a lot of folks I know, strippers are way down on the preference list. 

... and several others came way before strippers. 
...I know what works for me and mine and stick to what we enjoy eating.  Strippers ain't making it to my dinner table any time soon.

At least your wife is happy.

And here I thought the discussion was surrounding stripers.   Confused
(03-17-2020, 09:34 PM)PBH Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 08:52 PM)dubob Wrote: For me and a lot of folks I know, strippers are way down on the preference list. 

... and several others came way before strippers. 
...I know what works for me and mine and stick to what we enjoy eating.  Strippers ain't making it to my dinner table any time soon.

At least your wife is happy.

And here I thought the discussion was surrounding stripers.   Confused

Damn spell check isn't worth a hoot if it can't determine intent.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks for all of your help learned a lot here
the bad thing is we are not going this week
the two guys that wanted to go, both own there business one has 90 working for him he said everyone is in a panic with what is going on with the economy.  the other one said the craziness has got pretty bad.    so we are hoping things will settle down then we can go.
(03-24-2020, 06:28 PM)liketrolling Wrote: the bad thing is we are not going this week
the two guys that wanted to go...

So, why can't you go?  You don't need the other two.  The weather next week is looking fantastic.  If you have the time off, hook up that boat, and head down.  Hotels should be cheap, and empty -- or, rather, throw that tent in the boat, and go find yourself a beautiful, secluded beach to spend some quality social isolation time on!