Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best store for boat prop advice?
Looking for a new or rebuilt prop for my 90 HP evinrude. The one I have does alright at Willard but not so good at Bear lake, the RMP's are not going up as high as they should, especially at BL, so I was thinking that a smaller prop would do the trick. My prop is a 15 & 1/2 x 13, I was thinking a 15 x 13 might do the trick.
A guy I have fished with about 5 times his boy owns I think this place 
https://www.utahpropdoc.com/

I'm going fishing Monday with 2 guys that know him real good . so I will tell you for sure Monday night, 
call him then if it sounds good, I can go fishing with you pick your prop up and take it to him.  
(03-22-2020, 06:01 PM)liketrolling Wrote: A guy I have fished with about 5 times his boy owns I think this place 
https://www.utahpropdoc.com/

I'm going fishing Monday with 2 guys that know him real good . so I will tell you for sure Monday night, 
call him then if it sounds good, I can go fishing with you pick your prop up and take it to him.  

Wow Robert, that sounds good, thanks Robert.
Hi Curt , hey buddy I have been using Perfect Pitch Propellers in Smithfield. Neil does great work and is very good to work with , he is very knowlegdable about most props . He is fast and I think reasonablely priced . His E-mail is 
neal@perfectpitchpropellers.com . He will usually answer your E-mail even on Sunday.
We have used the Propdoc in Orem a few times and would totally recomend them.
When the bone head driving my boat has screwed up props. they have repaired to like new condition.
They have also been more than willing to help me with tuning prop. to boat going to higher or lower elev. waters.

I'm not positive about this but as I recall I was told at one time that if they had a used prop. on the wall you wanted to try out they would sell it to you and if it did not work out like expected they would buy it back if you did not damage it.

That last part is most likely a pipe dream.  My bride tells me most of the time that I hear what I want to hear. I'm more thinkin that people should think the way I do....
(03-22-2020, 05:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looking for a new or rebuilt prop for my 90 HP evinrude. The one I have does alright at Willard but not so good at Bear lake, the RMP's are not going up as high as they should, especially at BL, so I was thinking that a smaller prop would do the trick. My prop is a 15 & 1/2 x 13, I was thinking a 15 x 13 might do the trick.
A Roc in SLC is the best as far as I'm concerned, they can tell you over the phone what you need, and if they have one.  Sell new and rebuilt.
I used prop doc in orem and he's who I would recommend.
(03-22-2020, 07:11 PM)AFDan52 Wrote: Hi Curt , hey buddy I have been using Perfect Pitch Propellers in Smithfield. Neil does great work and is very good to work with , he is very knowlegdable about most props . He is fast and I think reasonablely priced . His E-mail is 
neal@perfectpitchpropellers.com . He will usually answer your E-mail even on Sunday.

Thanks Dan, I've talked to Neil before when first got this motor but I think I'll contact him again, now that I have some more info.
(03-22-2020, 07:13 PM)PACMEN Wrote: We have used the Propdoc in Orem a few times and would totally recomend them.
When the bone head driving my boat has screwed up props. they have repaired to like new condition.
They have also been more than willing to help me with tuning prop. to boat going to higher or lower elev. waters.

I'm not positive about this but as I recall I was told at one time that if they had a used prop. on the wall you wanted to try out they would sell it to you and if it did not work out like expected they would buy it back if you did not damage it.

That last part is most likely a pipe dream.  My bride tells me most of the time that I hear what I want to hear. I'm more thinkin that people should think the way I do....
Thanks PACMEN, I'll contact them tomorrow,  hopefully they will have a used one and have that deal like you said.
wyoguy  Wrote:A Roc in SLC is the best as far as I'm concerned, they can tell you over the phone what you need, and if they have one.  Sell new and rebuilt.

Thanks Gary, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
(03-22-2020, 07:53 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: I used prop doc in orem and he's who I would recommend.

That's a third vote for Prop Doc, I'll be contacting them for sure, thanks Mooseman.
wiperhunter2 pid= Wrote:Looking for a new or rebuilt prop for my 90 HP evinrude. The one I have does alright at Willard but not so good at Bear lake, the RMP's are not going up as high as they should, especially at BL, so I was thinking that a smaller prop would do the trick. My prop is a 15 & 1/2 x 13, I was thinking a 15 x 13 might do the trick.

I've seen this topic come up frequently on other boards and Mercury's prop calculator tool is a go-to for many. I know I use it frequently. It's a good starting point to narrow your selection. The cool thing is it covers more than just Merc's. To avoid costly purchase mistakes, I look to this calculator.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/prop...!/step-one

Formerly the boat-guy on this forum. 

Be safe out there!
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
(03-22-2020, 05:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looking for a new or rebuilt prop for my 90 HP evinrude. The one I have does alright at Willard but not so good at Bear lake, the RMP's are not going up as high as they should, especially at BL, so I was thinking that a smaller prop would do the trick. My prop is a 15 & 1/2 x 13, I was thinking a 15 x 13 might do the trick.

You need to reduce pitch not diameter, Bear lake is close to 6000 ft willard is 4200 ish for every 1000 ft you would drop 1 inch in pitch so you would want to go with a 15 1/2 by 11 assuming you are already set up correctly.

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.com/p...ler-767620
(03-22-2020, 09:00 PM)lakepowellnut Wrote: I've seen this topic come up frequently on other boards and Mercury's prop calculator tool is a go-to for many. I know I use it frequently. It's a good starting point to narrow your selection. The cool thing is it covers more than just Merc's. To avoid costly purchase mistakes, I look to this calculator.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/prop...!/step-one

Formerly the boat-guy on this forum. 

Be safe out there!

Thanks Lakepowellnut, I'll take a look at that. If you are interested in getting your old username back, send me a PM.
Bassin_Blitz  Wrote:You need to reduce pitch not diameter, Bear lake is close to 6000 ft willard is 4200 ish for every 1000 ft you would drop 1 inch in pitch so you would want to go with a 15 1/2 by 11 assuming you are already set up correctly.

Thanks for the info Bassin_Blitz, I was hoping someone would know which one(pitch vs dis) was the correct way to go. I was thinking a smaller dia prop would turn faster and give me higher RPM. That info will help me decided what I need.
(03-22-2020, 09:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
Bassin_Blitz  Wrote:You need to reduce pitch not diameter, Bear lake is close to 6000 ft willard is 4200 ish for every 1000 ft you would drop 1 inch in pitch so you would want to go with a 15 1/2 by 11 assuming you are already set up correctly.

Thanks for the info Bassin_Blitz, I was hoping someone would know which one(pitch vs dis) was the correct way to go. I was thinking a smaller dia prop would turn faster and give me higher RPM. That info will help me decided what I need.
Bassin_Blitz is exactly right, but get it ported when you buy it if you want to fish high altitude lakes. Yellowstone is at 8K. You probably wouldn't get on plane without it being ported, could be wrong. Remember, you lose 3% of your horsepower on a naturally aspirated motor for every 1K increase in elevation. Hard to spin up to the power band without the cavitation you get when ported.

WWW.PTPROP.COM makes a nice stainless with very little slip.

j
Curt, I have dealings with Neil at perfect pitch propellers too. He is a standup guy and will work with you to try out a prop. When I bought my boat it came with a SS 20 pitch which is great for sea level. He put me into another SS prop but a 15 pitch. RPM's came up significantly along with speed both at Bear L and Strawberry. Of coarse SS is much more pricey. Shy
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Quote:Bassin_Blitz is exactly right, but get it ported when you buy it if you want to fish high altitude lakes. Yellowstone is at 8K. You probably wouldn't get on plane without it being ported, could be wrong. Remember, you lose 3% of your horsepower on a naturally aspirated motor for every 1K increase in elevation. Hard to spin up to the power band without the cavitation you get when ported.

WWW.PTPROP.COM makes a nice stainless with very little slip.

j

Thanks for the info JSTLRKNG, I will look into that, can't say I ever heard of ported prop.
(03-22-2020, 10:06 PM)Bduck Wrote: Curt, I have dealings with Neil at perfect pitch propellers too. He is a standup guy and will work with you to try out a prop. When I bought my boat it came with a SS 20 pitch which is great for sea level. He put me into another SS prop but a 15 pitch. RPM's came up significantly along with speed both at Bear L and Strawberry. Of coarse SS is much more pricey. Shy

Thanks Rodger, when I first bought this motor, a couple of years ago, I talked to neil about builting a prop for me. I decided to give it a year to see how the one I had would work. It has been ok at Willard but when I went up to BL a few weeks ago, it was really bad. I could hardly get up on plain and the RPM was down about 2000. Normal I'm at 5500 at Willard at BL it was 3500. I can't even image how bad it would be at Jordanelle or The Berry. Since this is new info, it might help me get the right prop and if he will let me try it out, all the better.
Curt,

I was going to stay out of this discussion because you have some excellent advice already.  But then I thought if you don’t already have enough information to make an informed decision, I should offer up this information for your perusal.

How High Altitude Will Affect Propeller Performance

If you boat at higher elevations, one of the first things you notice is decreased power.  This is because air has less oxygen at higher elevations resulting in reduced performance.  One way to compensate is by using a prop with a reduced pitch.  This makes it easier for your engine to reach the correct RPM at wide-open-throttle.  The chart below will help you determine the recommended pitch for your boating altitude.

High Altitude And Recommended Prop Pitch

3,000 ft -1°
4,000 ft -2°
5,000 ft -3°
6,000 ft -4°
7,000 ft -5°
8,000 ft -6° 
9,000 ft -7°

We are at ≈ 4,800 ft here.  Bear Lake ≈ 5,900; Flaming Gorge ≈ 6,000 ft; Strawberry ≈ 7,600 ft.  As you can see from the chart above, a 1 degree pitch drop would be about correct for Baer Lake and Flaming Gorge.  Strawberry would be best with a 3 degree drop in pitch.  My recommendation would be to do what most of us do (including myself), compromise with a 2 degree drop in pitch for Bear Lake, Flaming Gorger, and 'The Berry' and be done with it.  I don't change props for Jordanelle because it is a reletively small reservoir and I don't travel long distances from the launch to catch fish.  I would be very surprised if Neil at Perfect Pitch Props doesn't also recommend the same thing.

You might also want to find out what your motor came with originally.  The factory will normally put a prop on all their motors that are spec'ed out for sea level altitude.  For our altitude of 4,800 ft, your prop SHOULD be pitched 3 degrees below what the original OEM prop was.  And then your second prop should be another 2 degrees lower in pitch than that.  Are you thoroughly Confused yet?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."