Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best store for boat prop advice?
Curt,

I was going to stay out of this discussion because you have some excellent advice already.  But then I thought if you don’t already have enough information to make an informed decision, I should offer up this information for your perusal.

How High Altitude Will Affect Propeller Performance

If you boat at higher elevations, one of the first things you notice is decreased power.  This is because air has less oxygen at higher elevations resulting in reduced performance.  One way to compensate is by using a prop with a reduced pitch.  This makes it easier for your engine to reach the correct RPM at wide-open-throttle.  The chart below will help you determine the recommended pitch for your boating altitude.

High Altitude And Recommended Prop Pitch

3,000 ft -1°
4,000 ft -2°
5,000 ft -3°
6,000 ft -4°
7,000 ft -5°
8,000 ft -6° 
9,000 ft -7°

We are at ≈ 4,800 ft here.  Bear Lake ≈ 5,900; Flaming Gorge ≈ 6,000 ft; Strawberry ≈ 7,600 ft.  As you can see from the chart above, a 1 degree pitch drop would be about correct for Baer Lake and Flaming Gorge.  Strawberry would be best with a 3 degree drop in pitch.  My recommendation would be to do what most of us do (including myself), compromise with a 2 degree drop in pitch for Bear Lake, Flaming Gorger, and 'The Berry' and be done with it.  I don't change props for Jordanelle because it is a reletively small reservoir and I don't travel long distances from the launch to catch fish.  I would be very surprised if Neil at Perfect Pitch Props doesn't also recommend the same thing.

You might also want to find out what your motor came with originally.  The factory will normally put a prop on all their motors that are spec'ed out for sea level altitude.  For our altitude of 4,800 ft, your prop SHOULD be pitched 3 degrees below what the original OEM prop was.  And then your second prop should be another 2 degrees lower in pitch than that.  Are you thoroughly Confused yet?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best store for boat prop advice? - by AFDan52 - 03-22-2020, 07:11 PM
RE: Best store for boat prop advice? - by PACMEN - 03-22-2020, 07:13 PM
RE: Best store for boat prop advice? - by wyoguy - 03-22-2020, 07:18 PM
RE: Best store for boat prop advice? - by Bduck - 03-22-2020, 10:06 PM
RE: Best store for boat prop advice? - by dubob - 03-23-2020, 01:02 AM
RE: Best store for boat prop advice? - by Bduck - 03-23-2020, 01:08 AM