Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Tender
I have a few questions on Battery Charging.

Do I need to disconnect my boat batteries before charging ? For example disconnect from all accessories, Motor , etc. Or can I charge with all of those items still connected.

Do those of you that use Battery Tenders, leave all accessories connected (Above) as well as your Battery Tender, and then simply plug in the Tender/Charger , when your boat is not in use.

For many years I have disconnected everything from my two batteries, then connected a charger to the batteries until I was ready to go out. Then remove the Charger and put it away, and reconnect everything.... Is this really Necessary ? 

thoughts ?
(03-23-2020, 04:19 PM)catfishbait Wrote: I have a few questions on Battery Charging.

Do I need to disconnect my boat batteries before charging ? For example disconnect from all accessories, Motor , etc. Or can I charge with all of those items still connected.

Do those of you that use Battery Tenders, leave all accessories connected (Above) as well as your Battery Tender, and then simply plug in the Tender/Charger , when your boat is not in use.

For many years I have disconnected everything from my two batteries, then connected a charger to the batteries until I was ready to go out. Then remove the Charger and put it away, and reconnect everything.... Is this really Necessary ? 

thoughts ?

No, you do not need to disconnect any wire going to your batteries before charging them, you do however need to have every acc turned off.
I do not leave the battery charger on for more than a few days though, in most cases a battery is charged in one day but I will leave them on for two days if the battery is very low. Some members have stated they leave their on board chargers connected all the time but I don't think there is any reason to do that. I will however plug the charger back in the day before taking the boat out, just to top off ther batteries.
Any thoughts on leaving an on board charger hooked up 100% of the time, In other words leave the ring terminals permanently connected , and just plugging the unit in , when the boat is not in use .
(03-23-2020, 08:15 PM)catfishbait Wrote: Any thoughts on leaving an on board charger hooked up 100% of the time, In other words leave the ring terminals permanently connected , and just plugging the unit in , when the boat is not in use .
That is what I was saying some members do but I don't. My on board charger is always connected to my batteries, but I just plug it in when I get home, then leave it plugged in for one day. Not sure if Bearlakefishguy will see this or not but he once said he always leaving his plugged in, unplugging only when he takes the boat out. I'm sure that is ok for some folks but I guess I'm always worried about something going wrong with the charger and it overcharging my batteries.
(03-23-2020, 10:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 08:15 PM)catfishbait Wrote: Any thoughts on leaving an on board charger hooked up 100% of the time, In other words leave the ring terminals permanently connected , and just plugging the unit in , when the boat is not in use .

That is what I was saying some members do but I don't. My on board charger is always connected to my batteries, but I just plug it in when I get home, then leave it plugged in for one day. Not sure if Bearlakefishguy will see this or not but he once said he always leaving his plugged in, unplugging only when he takes the boat out. I'm sure that is ok for some folks but I guess I'm always worried about something going wrong with the charger and it overcharging my batteries.
RTFM. and see how it charger operates, after my batterys ar charged it changes to a float charge, kinda on and off to maintain full charge. when mine is home its on the charger, during storage the battery switch is off, if your battery go dead easly or often when not in use there is a draw either a componet or internal to the battery, (bad cell)
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks so much guys.... I appreciate the input. Time to install that onboard charger.....

thanks again, stay well......
I myself never disconnect my Batteries , I have an on-board charger. As soon as I get home from a fishing trip I plug them in. I have never had a problem with my batteries .
I do same as others, when I park the boat I plug it in and not worry about. No need to disconnect everything just make sure all equipment is in off position. The boat is always ready to roll out of the garage once I finish a walk around inspection.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
There are a couple of battery configurations to consider on larger boats.  One configuration is the cranking batteries.  I have two on my boat; one for each outboard motor (150 hp & 9.9 hp).  I NEVER charge these bateries during the boating season.  The are being charged everytime I run either motor while boating.  At the end of the season, I pull them from the boat and store them in a heated room in my garage.  When the storage season is done, I connect a charger and top them off overnight.  They usually last about 7 to 8 years.

The second configuration are my electric trolling motor baterries (2 each).  These are connected to a 2-bank, on-board charger (Minn Kota) and this charger is designed to be left connected and plugged in 24/7.  The design is such that it can not overcharge your batteries unless it malfunctions.  I leave these two batteries in my boat 365 days a year and the bank is plugged in 24/7 while the boat is in storage - both long term (winter) and short term (summer).  You will not harm your batterries using one of these on-board chargers designed for this purpose.

If you are charging your electric trolling motor batteries with an automotive type battery charger.  I would not recommend that you do this UNLESS you are 100% certain that your automotive battery charger is of the same design as the on-board chargers and have the circuitry to operate on a long term connection.  Most are NOT designed to do this.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."