Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short rod for catfish?
I won an Abu-Garcia 5501C3 at the banquet last November. It was strung with 20# braid. I paired it with a 38" medium-heavy ice rod for lakers, and it worked fine for pups. Now I'm wondering if I could use it trolling for catfish. It would make a great back-up rig stored in a locker on my boat. Do you think it is too short to have the necessary leverage for cats that might run up to 12 pounds+? Any other insight you care to share about the reel, etc?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Sort of answered your own question. Sure it’s not the ideal or first choice. But sounds like it will do ok as a backup that’s been stashed out of the way. Never know when you’ll accidentally step on or send one of your primary rods swimming. That little rod might keep you out fishing for a few extra hours instead of having to pack it in early. If you are wondering about it’s capabilities, take it out and use next time you’re on a hot bite. That way you’ve likely already caught a few fish and can compare side by side how it handles the fish that day with the same conditions.
As with all things fishing...and automotive...personal preferences are what count.  If you fish it and you like it then keep fishing it.  My personal opinion is that the 38" rod is ideal for vertical jigging for macks but might be a bit short for hooking and handling large cats.  Better to have a longer rod for casting, line control and controlling fish.  If you are using a circle hook, there is not the need for a longer rod for heavy hooksets...and it may even be better at getting a good hook penetration in the fishes' mouths on the strike.

Not exactly sure what the reel is, but I had a 5500 C that was a jewel.  I let someone talk me into selling it and have regretted it often since.  Ideal size for cattin'.

Bottom line...probably a lot more positives to your outfit than negatives.  Just make sure you watch out for the loose nut on the rod.  That turns out to be the source of most significant fishing problems.
The 5001 is just the left-hand-crank version. I don't care which hand I reel with as long as I can remember which end of the pole to hold onto.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(04-09-2020, 10:33 PM)catchinon Wrote: The 5001 is just the left-hand-crank version. I don't care which hand I reel with as long as I can remember which end of the pole to hold onto.
My 5000 C was a left hand also.  I have a definite preference for left side retrieve.

Also, I have one casting rod I use for fligging off my tube that is barely 5'.  Love it for close quarters and it has plenty of power when needed.

Very perceptive in your evaluation of the importance of different aspects of fishing.  Very hard to crank a reel from either side if you do not have a firm grip on the rod.
catchinon pid= Wrote:I won an Abu-Garcia 5501C3 at the banquet last November. It was strung with 20# braid. I paired it with a 38" medium-heavy ice rod for lakers, and it worked fine for pups. Now I'm wondering if I could use it trolling for catfish. It would make a great back-up rig stored in a locker on my boat. Do you think it is too short to have the necessary leverage for cats that might run up to 12 pounds+? Any other insight you care to share about the reel, etc?

The Abu garcia 5500 c3 is the Swedish higher end made version of the Abu's vs. The Chinese lesser counter parts you get room sportmans or cabelas. It's the stiffened between $80 new and $130 new. You got a great reel. I have the lesser 5500s and  6600s and I put them on the whuppin stick medium and medium heavy from  cabelas. They run about $24.99 regular price.
(04-09-2020, 06:18 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Not exactly sure what the reel is, but I had a 5500 C that was a jewel.  I let someone talk me into selling it and have regretted it often since.  Ideal size for cattin'.

I believe I resemble that remark ! LOL. That particular reel did fall in with some rather suspect company, but it has performed exceptionally for the better part of 15 or more years and brought in countless fish of all types.  Silky smooth and reliable even though it has gone swimming on several occasions - with and without me.  Although I use it mostly nowadays for musky and other casting intensive fishing techniques since it is such a joy to cast. I have other ABUs and Penns(USA made models) dedicated to catfish.

I would love take this opportunity to thank the individual who talked you into giving it to me way back when for little more than a song and the jig that I danced when I got it home.

[Image: Front-center.jpg]   [Image: Made-in-Sweden.jpg] upload pic
(04-10-2020, 01:19 PM)Fishhound Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 06:18 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Not exactly sure what the reel is, but I had a 5500 C that was a jewel.  I let someone talk me into selling it and have regretted it often since.  Ideal size for cattin'.

I believe I resemble that remark ! LOL. That particular reel did fall in with some rather suspect company, but it has performed exceptionally for the better part of 15 or more years and brought in countless fish of all types.  Silky smooth and reliable even though it has gone swimming on several occasions - with and without me.  Although I use it mostly nowadays for musky and other casting intensive fishing techniques since it is such a joy to cast. I have other ABUs and Penns(USA made models) dedicated to catfish.

I would love take this opportunity to thank the individual who talked you into giving it to me way back when for little more than a song and the jig that I danced when I got it home.

[Image: Front-center.jpg]   [Image: Made-in-Sweden.jpg] upload pic
Glad it has served you well.  All's well that ends.